Viewer Comments: Concussion - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Concussion:

Concussion - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your concussion?

Comment from: MLou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had a significant concussion 20 years ago from a car accident. I struck above my left eye during the accident. I had personality changes, short term memory changes, one of two kinds of headaches several times a day for every day for 2 years. One day I woke up and realized I had not had a headache for a couple of days. At that time I was given the term post concussion syndrome. Until that time, I thought all syndrome medical diagnosis were "hooey" - that event changed my attitude for certain. Since that time I have had the occasional HA, memory loss associated with being an over 50 female :-) but no other lasting issues. Two weeks ago I was head butted by a 90+ lb Lab while breaking up a dog fight. I had two black eyes and a laceration to my forehead above my eyes. 24 hours later I began to vomit and bought myself a CT scan which was negative for a bleed. Obviously I am concussed again. It has been the worst two weeks of my life, between the initial nausea and vomiting and the headaches. Now it is just the fog I am in, the occasional headache, and how I just feel a "bubble off center". I am a critical care nurse. I now have a new appreciation for the head injured patients I see. I am also amazed at how some of these sports figures go through this time after time. I know one head injury or concussion makes you an easier victim for a second concussion but this really makes a believer out of me!

Comment from: GM MAIN, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I had a bad fall resulting in a hard low to the right side of my head just above my right eye. I was knocked out for about 15 to 20 minutes. I have had a cat scan and have been off work for 11 days now. I still feel like my head is swelled and have headaches throughout the day. I have been having constant neck pain. I went back to the doctor today and she finally said I want you to have a MRI done, but I don't think we will find anything.

Comment from: ALAN, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I fell backward down some tiled stairs, and hit my head hard, I don't remember a thing, people who were there related this to me. I lay on my back, my eyes were rolling and my head bleeding, I stopped breathing for about a minute, they poured water over me. I awoke after about 8 minutes, I went to bed. The next day I had a lump at the back of my head, and felt awful all day. The next day I had to take a plane trip, of over 35 hours, using 3 planes and waiting around in airports etc. I'm now home, but feel disorientated, and a permanent headache, I think the pressure in the cabin of the aircraft I was in, has exacerbated my condition, I have had concussion before, whilst playing sport, but nothing as bad as this, I'm going to the doctor shortly.

Comment from: SMEEHAN, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I had dizziness, dry heaving, and a slight pressure on the top of my head.

Comment from: SallyO, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

For my concussion, I had an extreme headache, especially at night. It felt like a baseball bat had hit my head. The pain went away after 36 hours. I went to the hospital and had a scan and results came back with no bleeding in my brain. I took Tylenol 3 for pain. 48 hours later, I was feeling much better. A horse came down on top of my head full force. I had two other blows of the same spot two months prior due to an overhanging beam out of my peripheral vision.

Comment from: samuel ravi, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

Last Sunday, I was knocked down by a two-wheeler and I was crossing the road after prayer to reach my car. I hit my head on the ground and I was unconscious for a few minutes. I was bleeding. My family and a few bystanders helped me to the hospital where I work as a nurse. My CT was normal, but I had nausea and vomiting for an entire day. I was on IV fluids for a day and now I am back at home. It looks like I need to wear a helmet while walking! By the way, the concussion write-up here is simple and gives patients hope and guidance. Thank you.

Comment from: Skier93, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

Hit my head with a snowboard just above my right eye and just below the helmet line. I had a bump and a laceration which bled for a few minutes. Severe headaches, confusion, irritability, neck pain, nausea, fatigue, memory loss, dizziness, sleep disturbances, and sensitivity to light and noise were among my symptoms in the days to follow. I don't think the fact that I went back snowboarding that afternoon and skiing that night helped me in anyway. Unfortunately I had to fly home the day after and all that traveling didn't help. Over two months later and I still have the majority of those symptoms, especially the headaches. Went to the doctor and had blood tests and a CT scan done. Everything came back fine.

Must Read Articles Related to Concussion

Bruises
Bruises A bruise is a common skin injury that results in a discoloration of the skin. Symptoms and signs include pain and discolored skin. Applying a cold compress may ...learn more >>
Cuts or Lacerations
Cuts or Lacerations A cut refers to a skin wound with separation of the connective tissue elements. Unlike an abrasion (a wound caused by friction or scraping), none of the skin is...learn more >>
Dementia in Head Injury
Dementia in Head Injury Head injury occurs when an outside force hits the head hard enough to cause the brain to move violently within the skull. This force can cause shaking, twisting...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Concussion:

Concussion - Recovery

Did you have any residual effects from your concussion?

Concussion - Experience

Please describe your experience with concussion.

Concussion - Medical Treatment

What was the treatment for your concussion?