Viewer Comments: Concussion - Recovery

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Concussion:

Concussion - Recovery

Did you have any residual effects from your concussion?

Comment from: neartheend, 55-64 Male Published: November 30

I'm coming up on my 12th christmas since my last head injury, still waiting for a good nights sleep or a day without a headache without having to use drugs.

Comment from: MB, 45-54 Male Published: November 15

42 years ago, I was cycling on the pavement and smashed my head against another boy's head as he cycled out of his house. I was knocked out for an hour, but did not dare report the incident to my parents through fear of being thrashed. The consequence of that accident was headaches for years and the acquisition of dyslexia. At the age of 44, I had a stroke, which removed my dyslexia and the headaches.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I was bucked off a horse on May 22, 2011. I was unconscious from the fall so I don't remember much. I am still experiencing dizziness, fatigue, headaches, focus problems and always feel like I can't balance myself when I walk. CT scan and MRI of the brain showed nothing. I also have a neck and back problem that I am having therapy for. Also, when I write I feel like I do not hold the pen correctly and I am always wondering if I am spelling words correctly.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I took an elbow to the head during a basketball game almost two months ago. I never lost consciousness, but had some vision problems that first day. CT scan showed no problems. I'm still experiencing some "fuzziness" (not a spinning kind of dizziness), weakness, light sensitivity, ringing in my ears, odd sleep patterns, and occasional anxiety.

I received my concussion while tripping up cement steps. I got the concussion from falling and hitting my head on the eyebrow line just over the corner of my right eye resulting was a purple-blue shiner. This was three weeks ago and today I still experience dizziness and nausea and fatigue.

Comment from: clumbsy, 55-64 Female Published: July 11

I fell last week, breaking my wrist and pulling chest muscles. I hit my head, too, ending up with stitches. Now, I have a terrible headache and light bothers my eyes. I cannot sleep very well and now I'm somewhat depressed and irritated.

Comment from: chris, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

Dizziness, slight ringing in the ears, and mild headaches were the residual effects of my concussion.

Comment from: normsw, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 24

I stepped off an 18-inch curb into the air and fell on my knees and slammed my head on the pavement. A CT scan and X-rays all proved negative, but the entire left top and sides of my head is numb. I hit the pavement above my left eye. I have a hematoma and an abrasion on my forehead.

Comment from: TouringGirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have had several mild blows to the head, only one [very historical] incidence involving loss of consciousness. My recent bike crash and head blow was 1 month ago and I continue to have headaches, apathy/sadness/irritability, dizziness, imbalance issues, and a frequent sense of "mini-explosions" inside my head leading to a profound sense of "fullness". These have grossly limited my outdoor athletics (cycling, primarily), and I feel very worried that the prolonged duration of emotionality will become hard on my social circle.

Comment from: jeanne, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 26

My grandson has a concussion from a hockey game. He got hit last September and he still has a headache every morning and it's on all day. He is getting very upset and he has no more patience. He can't stand noise or bright lights. He is 15 years old.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I was taken out from behind by an out of control skier 6 weeks ago while snowboarding. I was struck completely blind side and was knocked immediately unconscious for about 20 minutes. I have no recollection of the incident, the Ski Patrol toboggan ride, the ambulance ride or any events that followed for 48 hours after. My recovery has been painfully slow. An MRI reflected no bleeding or other issues but I've been suffering from, in no particular order, headaches, long and short term memory loss, sleeplessness to an extreme degree, fatigue, irritability, moodiness, anxiousness, reduction in my sense of taste and smell and a general feeling of "being lost". My vision has also been greatly affected in that I always need my reading glasses regardless of time or content. This is the first time I've suffered a head injury and the resulting effects are scary. I'm a full-time firefighter and haven't been able to return to work at all in 6 weeks.

Must Read Articles Related to Concussion

Bruises
Bruises A bruise is a common skin injury that results in a discoloration of the skin. Symptoms and signs include pain and discolored skin. Applying a cold compress may ...learn more >>
Cuts or Lacerations
Cuts or Lacerations A cut refers to a skin wound with separation of the connective tissue elements. Unlike an abrasion (a wound caused by friction or scraping), none of the skin is...learn more >>
Dementia in Head Injury
Dementia in Head Injury Head injury occurs when an outside force hits the head hard enough to cause the brain to move violently within the skull. This force can cause shaking, twisting...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Concussion:

Concussion - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your concussion?

Concussion - Experience

Please describe your experience with concussion.

Concussion - Medical Treatment

What was the treatment for your concussion?