Viewer Comments: Concussion - Recovery

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Concussion:

Concussion - Recovery

Did you have any residual effects from your concussion?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I fell off my horse last week and landed directly on the top of my head. I was wearing my hat but still really hurt! I don't think I passed out because Ii was on my own and had a long walk back. I've suffered the usual, severe headache and just wanted to sleep all day. I thought I was better but now my head really hurts, over a week later. I am sensitive to light and I think reading has something to do with how intense my headaches are. I just can't wake up. I am really confused. When I'm at work I'm struggling for words as it seems like my entire vocabulary has fallen out my head! I'm feeling a bit stupid these days, and loud noises are a killer.

Comment from: (Caregiver) Published: March 18

I know that it is not normal for my husband to just fall asleep in the middle of an activity. My husband has back problems and his legs gave out and he fell on his head. I took him to the hospital three different times and they keep saying he is fine. I've never seen this man just fall asleep while eating, drinking, smoking his cigarette or just talking.

Comment from: me-me, 35-44 Female Published: February 23

I got hit in the head with a vase off a shelf over a month ago had a CT scan. I was seen by 3 doctors and I have ringing in the ears some confusion. I also get unbelievable headaches night and day. My right side is numb sometimes and I never know how I'm going to feel. I get very angry with the drop of a feather with my own kids. Lights hurt my eyes so much. My neck is still killing me and it's been a month.

Comment from: bradley, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I recently suffered a concussion, and the residual effects of my concussion are: constant low-grade headaches all day and night 21 days post injury, intense fatigue and light sensitivity.

Comment from: Won't do that again, (Patient) Published: February 22

I went snowboarding and fell on my head doing a 13 foot jump. No one saw how I landed or if I lost consciousness, which makes things difficult for the doctor. I felt I was in a deep dream. I remembered nothing about the whole day and the day before. I was confused about what was happening in my life (like a divorce that happened a year ago and a dog who passed away a couple months ago). It has been almost a week and I am super sensitive and places like grocery stores make me confused and out of it. I get confused easily and have a problem putting my words together. I also forget things easily feeling sometimes like I'm in a daze. I was told this is post confusion syndrome. I was scared and looking for answers and I thought my story might help someone who is having problems like mine.

Comment from: lu-lu, 35-44 Female Published: January 18

I had a minimum of 4 concussions as a child between ages 4-9 that were confirmed by doctors. At 42 I still notice problems that have existed since I was small. I don't know for sure all of these are linked to the concussions but believe they are. When concentrating on something I am distracted by h small sounds such as chewing gum, sniffles, and pencils scraping the paper. Bright lights continue to hurt my eyes. I have memory lapses such as forgetting names of people I've known for a long time or a vocabulary word I want to use in a specific situation. When big pressure systems move into the area I do get Migraines. Migraines were very common when I was a child but don't occur as often now.

Comment from: Car Crash, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I was in a pretty bad car accident yesterday. When I hit my head I know I lost consciousness for a few moments because I had to have things explained to me. All day yesterday I felt like I was walking through a fog, like nothing was quite real. Today I have a mild to moderate headache and I still have the foggy feeling. I refused treatment on-site and was never checked for a concussion. This site helped me to understand what was going on and what to expect.

Comment from: Raine , 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

I got hit by a car and flipped over and got 51 stitches in the back right hand side top of my head. I cannot bend over without bed spins. The right hand side of my body gets numb then burns. My head aches as in headache not just the residual pain from the wound 24 hrs a day. I snap on people for no reason. Every day is like a hangover. I am so paranoid around people I cannot go out. I feel like dying but have family and just that's a weak thing. Bull. I have changed from a hit and run. I was I guess an Electrician farmer and am trying to carry on. I go to the doctor or emergency room when I suddenly pass out and the ct scan says I'm fine. Well I'm not fine. If there is nothing that can be done tell me. My entire world changed in a moment.

Must Read Articles Related to Concussion

Bruises
Bruises A bruise is a common skin injury that results in a discoloration of the skin. Symptoms and signs include pain and discolored skin. Applying a cold compress may ...learn more >>
Cuts or Lacerations
Cuts or Lacerations A cut refers to a skin wound with separation of the connective tissue elements. Unlike an abrasion (a wound caused by friction or scraping), none of the skin is...learn more >>
Dementia in Head Injury
Dementia in Head Injury Head injury occurs when an outside force hits the head hard enough to cause the brain to move violently within the skull. This force can cause shaking, twisting...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Concussion:

Concussion - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your concussion?

Concussion - Experience

Please describe your experience with concussion.

Concussion - Medical Treatment

What was the treatment for your concussion?