Viewer Comments: Congestive Heart Failure - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Congestive Heart Failure:

Congestive Heart Failure - Symptoms

For congestive heart failure, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Kats, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I was being treated for moderate asthma, when it worsened despite new medications. In the Doctors office, my pulmonary function was down to 38%. They sent me down to the ER, it was congestive heart failure. I have had many issues with my heart since 1998 including electrical issues that were ablated twice. Many different types of arrhythmia as well.

Comment from: ceciliarenee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

The very first symptom was shortness of breath and generalized weakness. Then the weight gain started at about 7 lbs a month for 3 months. Then a rapid weight gain of 22 lbs in 3 weeks. I went from 114 to 159 lbs in 5 months! No one took it seriously until I could not get my shoes on and the skin was splitting from the edema toes to knees. I developed severe shortness of breath, continuous coughing, 02 sat of 78 and x-ray showed lung congestion. I would wake up gasping for air. I finally demanded that something be done and it was then told to me it was acute congestive heart failure. I was hospitalized for 1 week. From the very first symptoms of shortness of breath to increasing weakness I could not get a doctor to take me seriously. Not until exacerbation was spinning out of control.

Comment from: Granny Dee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 09

Congestive heart failure was preceded by years of atrial fibrillation. Symptoms were cough, and a "wheezing" sound caused by fluid building up in lungs, feeling very tired plus I was also sleeping 12 or more hours. I have had bronchitis so I thought that was it, but the pulmonary doctor said I did have COPD from smoking, although she thought the main issue was CHF. The heart doctors confirmed it, and I was on Lisinopril and Warfarin.

Comment from: olive, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I experienced shortness of breath, extreme fluid retention, and a feeling that I could not take enough air. I also had a heavy feeling in my chest and arm.

Comment from: GailTD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I have had foot and ankle swelling for many years. Circulatory problems gradually I started having shortness of breath and not being able to breathe when lying down. And shortness of breath and not being able to get my breath back during walking. Diagnosis cardiomyopathy ejection fraction 20%.

Comment from: Martha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I'm 45. There are days I can't take a deep breath. I have tricuspid and mitral valve malfunctions. I also finally have my blood pressure under control. It used to range 180/110. I have not had a heart attack. I'm on Linosopril and a diuretic. So far my heart rate is much lower. My blood pressure is normal. I still get fluid in my lungs but it's not as bad.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I am 70 years old and have a stent. I have had symptoms of CHF for about five years now, looking back on my shortness of breath especially when swimming. I injured my shoulder and had rotator cuff surgery. The swimming is not so sweet any more. I have had severe breathing problems after back surgery after a bone graft failed. I did not have any knowledge of Congestive heart failure of course before my back surgery. It has been difficult to know just how to digest this very recent diagnosis. There is just not a straight forward presentation of my presenting symptoms at this time.

Comment from: chip reuter, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

Congestive heart failure was preceded by years of hypothyroidism. Initial symptoms were cough, and a "wheezing" sound caused by fluid building up in lungs. I also had the need for sleeping 12 or more hours.

Comment from: gaga11@juno.com, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 09

Actually, the only symptom I had to begin with was a shortness of breath. I noticed this mostly climbing stairs or even walking, and then it started even when I was sitting still. I could see my heart beating and felt that was strange. As it progressed in about a week I found I couldn't breathe without difficulty even if I was sitting still. There was no pain at all. Also, I found I couldn't walk too well for any distance due to shortness of breath. I am not now, nor have ever been a smoker. Heart problems run in my family but I thought I'd never have any because I led a healthy lifestyle. I was wrong.

Must Read Articles Related to Congestive Heart Failure

Ascites
Ascites Ascites is an accumulation of fluid in the peritoneal cavity (abdominal cavity). The primary cause of ascites is liver disease such as cirrhosis, acute liver fa...learn more >>
Atrial Fibrillation (A Fib)
Atrial Fibrillation Atrial fibrillation (A fib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the hea...learn more >>
Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is an abnormality in the beating of the heart. Such abnormalities, whether in rhythm of heartbeat or speed of heartbeat, are known as arrhythmias...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Congestive Heart Failure:

Congestive Heart Failure - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your congestive heart failure?