Viewer Comments: Congestive Heart Failure - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Congestive Heart Failure:

Congestive Heart Failure - Symptoms

For congestive heart failure, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: motherofthree, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I have recently been told that I have 50-60% blockage in both carotid arteries. I am having a lot of pain and swelling in my left leg.

Comment from: Aedwin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was 26 when I developed congestive heart failure due to my pregnancy with my first and only child. My ejection fraction was 21. I was diagnosed after having shortness of breath, increased pulse greater than100 bpm at rest, and an increased blood pressure. I got a chest CT that showed fluid in the lungs. They did series of tests. My father and mother both had heart attacks before the age of forty.

Comment from: jimdgop, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I was just diagnosed this week. On Thursday morning I couldn't catch my breath. The symptoms went away and then came back in 10 minutes. After that happened three times in less than 30 minutes, I called 911. The paramedics hit me like nothing I ever saw before and rushed me to the hospital. In the ER I had at least a dozen people working on me, jamming IV lines everywhere they could. I was admitted to a room and watched very closely. The heart surgeon came to my room and told me he had to do a cardiac catheter immediately. I fought him about it a lot but eventually agreed. He told me that I would have to be flat on my back for up to an hour and I told him I couldn't deal with that. He figured out another way to go, knocked me out and went in through my wrist. I had one stent inserted. I guess it wasn't too extreme. I got out of the hospital the next day and while I'm still a bit weak, I have no restrictions and can do whatever I want within reason. I will have to change my diet and take a few classes in how to cook for and take care of myself, but it's better than the alternative. The ER doctor later came to my room to check on me and told me that I was circling the drain. Had I been 10 minutes later, I wouldn't have been telling you this.

Comment from: Robert, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I've had cardiomyopathy for 15 years with associated heart failure. Symptoms were cough, shortness of breath and irregular heartbeats. It has been manageable up until fairly recently when I started retaining a lot of fluid. My heart became very weak but after ultrafiltration and increased diuretics things appear to be subsiding and I feel much better.

Comment from: Kats, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I was being treated for moderate asthma, when it worsened despite new medications. In the Doctors office, my pulmonary function was down to 38%. They sent me down to the ER, it was congestive heart failure. I have had many issues with my heart since 1998 including electrical issues that were ablated twice. Many different types of arrhythmia as well.

Comment from: ceciliarenee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

The very first symptom was shortness of breath and generalized weakness. Then the weight gain started at about 7 lbs a month for 3 months. Then a rapid weight gain of 22 lbs in 3 weeks. I went from 114 to 159 lbs in 5 months! No one took it seriously until I could not get my shoes on and the skin was splitting from the edema toes to knees. I developed severe shortness of breath, continuous coughing, 02 sat of 78 and x-ray showed lung congestion. I would wake up gasping for air. I finally demanded that something be done and it was then told to me it was acute congestive heart failure. I was hospitalized for 1 week. From the very first symptoms of shortness of breath to increasing weakness I could not get a doctor to take me seriously. Not until exacerbation was spinning out of control.

Comment from: Granny Dee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 09

Congestive heart failure was preceded by years of atrial fibrillation. Symptoms were cough, and a "wheezing" sound caused by fluid building up in lungs, feeling very tired plus I was also sleeping 12 or more hours. I have had bronchitis so I thought that was it, but the pulmonary doctor said I did have COPD from smoking, although she thought the main issue was CHF. The heart doctors confirmed it, and I was on Lisinopril and Warfarin.

Comment from: olive, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I experienced shortness of breath, extreme fluid retention, and a feeling that I could not take enough air. I also had a heavy feeling in my chest and arm.

Must Read Articles Related to Congestive Heart Failure

Ascites Ascites is an accumulation of fluid in the peritoneal cavity (abdominal cavity). The primary cause of ascites is liver disease such as cirrhosis, acute liver fa...learn more >>
Atrial Fibrillation (AFib)
Atrial Fibrillation Atrial fibrillation (AFib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the hear...learn more >>
Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is a type of arrythmia, that is, an irregularity in the beating of the heart. Atrial flutter is caused by as misfiring of electrical nerve impuls...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Congestive Heart Failure:

Congestive Heart Failure - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your congestive heart failure?