Viewer Comments: Congestive Heart Failure - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Congestive Heart Failure:

Congestive Heart Failure - Symptoms

For congestive heart failure, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: dances2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have emphysema (COPD) and was vacationing in Colorado at 8500 feet. It's pretty high altitude, but I had vacationed there for 9 years. This visit, though, I couldn't catch my breath, even on flat ground, so went on oxygen therapy. Even with the oxygen, I felt weak, fatigued, and sweaty. And what really convinced me to fly back to Maine was the feeling like I was getting bad bronchitis - lots of coughing and phlegm-without being "sick". Once home, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and placed on diuretics and different blood pressure medicine.

Comment from: Scorpio, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 09

On March 15, 2006 I awoke at 3:00a.m. To use the bathroom and I had felt like someone hit me on the shoulder blade. By the grace Of God my wife was up next thing I know I'm staring at the ceiling and have lost all bodily functions on the bathroom floor. Ambulance was called and determined that I in fact had a Heart Attack. Here I am 43 year old Caucasian male. I work 65 to 70 hours a week and smoke like a train w/ occasional drink and Diagnosed w/ Sleep Apnea. And I've just had a Heart Attack. My God!!!!!! Angioplasty was performed blockage dealt w/stents. Here I am 4 years later; quit smoking only 3 months ago. Have had several more stents put in 8 total. And now I'm dealing w/The not so early stage of Congestive Heart Failure.

Must Read Articles Related to Congestive Heart Failure

Ascites
Ascites Ascites is an accumulation of fluid in the peritoneal cavity (abdominal cavity). The primary cause of ascites is liver disease such as cirrhosis, acute liver fa...learn more >>
Atrial Fibrillation (A Fib)
Atrial Fibrillation Atrial fibrillation (A fib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the hea...learn more >>
Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is an abnormality in the beating of the heart. Such abnormalities, whether in rhythm of heartbeat or speed of heartbeat, are known as arrhythmias...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Congestive Heart Failure:

Congestive Heart Failure - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your congestive heart failure?