Viewer Comments: Congestive Heart Failure - Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Congestive Heart Failure:

Congestive Heart Failure - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your congestive heart failure?

Comment from: Molly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have always taken very good care of myself, but sometimes it is just in your genes, I guess. I have had atrial fibrillation for four years and a year ago, it became much worse. I had overwhelming fatigue, shortness of breath, edema, and a very erratic pulse. My blood pressure was up and down. I decided to have an ablation. While in the hospital just last week I discovered that I have congestive heart failure. I had suspected it because my father had it and I knew I had the symptoms. I am learning all I can.

Comment from: Dperry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

During a cath procedure, an artery was nicked and I had a massive heart attack. My heart stopped three times. I had a stroke and remained in the hospital for 4 weeks!

Comment from: Desdemona, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I eat a low-salt, low-fat, low-sugar diet and exercise regularly, yet I have CAD, CHF and A-Fib.

Comment from: JOCOX, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

Only 25% of my heart is functioning properly (pumping).

Comment from: Karen Randall, 65-74 Female Published: June 11

I had congestive heart failure, then I had a pacemaker put in. I moved to Iowa got a new doctor. He turned off my pacemaker off and since then, I have had fluid in my lungs.

Comment from: ali, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I share common ground with those who recommend daily exercise to improve the symptoms of congestive heart failure. Personally I have extremely benefited from walking, biking and lightweight muscle building. I am always my own doctor when it comes to exercise. I exercise at least five days a week and always listen to my body.

Comment from: lynno, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

My doctor now says my prognosis has improved. I found that daily exercise is important, if not crucial. My work prior to my CHF had been sedentary. After my CHF (2004)I lost 50 lbs suddenly because I simply could not eat. I'm 5'8" and weighed in at 116 lbs! Other issues sent me into deep depression. With medical help I was finally able to get my butt off the couch and take a part-time job with Salvation Army(4 hours/day-5 days/week). I am walking and lifting the entire time. My breathing is much better and my muscle tone has visibly improved. I won't say it wasn't hard at 1st - it was. But I stuck with it and get paid a little for what I'd be paying to do at a health club! Yea!!

Must Read Articles Related to Congestive Heart Failure

Ascites Ascites is an accumulation of fluid in the peritoneal cavity (abdominal cavity). The primary cause of ascites is liver disease such as cirrhosis, acute liver fa...learn more >>
Atrial Fibrillation (AFib)
Atrial Fibrillation Atrial fibrillation (AFib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the hear...learn more >>
Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is a type of arrythmia, that is, an irregularity in the beating of the heart. Atrial flutter is caused by as misfiring of electrical nerve impuls...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Congestive Heart Failure:

Congestive Heart Failure - Symptoms

For congestive heart failure, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?