Constipation in Adults
Constipation in Adults Quick Overview
- Constipation is a decrease in the frequency of bowel movements or difficulty in passing stools.
- Constipation is a symptom of a disease or condition.
- Cause of constipation range from not taking in enough liquids, over poor diet to mechanical issues such as an obstruction in the intestine.
- Symptoms of constipation are infrequent bowl movement, lower abdominal pain and hard or small stools.
- Home and natural remedies to relieve constipation include gentle exercise, plenty of fluids and a high fiber diet.
- OTC (over-the-counter) medication to get rid of constipation include synthetic fiber, stool softener and laxatives
- Constipation during pregnancy can be managed by increasing your fluid intake, a high fiber diet and gentle exercise.
- Prevention of constipation includes a daily "toilet routine," drinking plenty of fluids, and a well-balanced diet.
What are the symptoms of constipation in adults?
An individual may exhibit a broad range of symptoms of constipation depending on his or her bowel habits, diet, and age. These are some common problems a person may have if he or she is constipated:
- Difficulty in starting or completing a bowel movement
- Infrequent and difficult passage of stool
- Passing hard stool after prolonged straining
- If the person has irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), with
- crampy abdominal pain,
- excessive gas (flatulence),
- a sense of bloating, and
- a change in bowel habits
- If the person has an intestinal obstruction, which results in
- absence of a bowl movement, and
- inability to pass gas
- Distended abdomen
- headaches, and
- loss of appetite
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 7/30/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Constipation in Adults
Anal fissures are small tears in the skin overlying the anus. Anal fissures are generally caused by constipation, or straining with a bowel movement. Symptoms o...learn more >>
Anal itching is a common problem experienced by both men and women. Examples of causes of anal itching include irritants such as perfumes, chemicals, or dyes in...learn more >>
Bad Breath (Halitosis)
Bad breath (halitosis) can be caused by a variety of things including diet, medication, poor oral hygiene, and diseases or conditions such as diabetes, GERD, la...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Constipation (Adults):