Symptoms to Watch For During Home Treatment
Use the Check Your Symptoms section to evaluate your child's symptoms if any of the following occur during home treatment:
- Constipation or changes in the stool persist after 24 hours of home treatment in a baby younger than 3 months.
- New constipation persists after 1 week of home treatment in a child age 3 months to 11 years.
- Chronic constipation:
- Is causing new problems.
- Has gotten worse.
- Is accompanied by other bowel habit changes, such as changes in the size, shape, or consistency of stools.
- Rectal pain develops, increases, or lasts longer than 1 week.
- Abdominal pain develops or increases.
- Fever develops.
- Blood in the stool develops, increases, or lasts longer than 1 week.
- Your child's symptoms become more severe or frequent.