Constipation in Children (cont.)
Constipation in Children Remedies
- Give plenty of water to the affected child.
- Try 2 to 4 ounces of half-strength pear or apple juice (diluted with
water). Alternatively, add one-half ounce of table syrup to 3 ounces of warm
water, then administer by mouth to soften the stool.
- Add two tablespoons of baking soda to a warm bath. Let your child relax for
5-15 minutes, soaking in the warm bath.
- Applying a warm, moist cloth to the anus can sometimes stimulate a bowel
- To stimulate a bowel movement, a plastic swab tipped with cotton (Q-tip) with a small amount of Vaseline ointment can be gently inserted through the anus (not too far, just the cotton tip) and promptly removed. Your health care practitioner may prescribe a glycerin suppository for the same purpose but with greatest effect.
Must Read Articles Related to Constipation in Children
Encopresis is the soiling of the underwear with stool by children who are past the age of toilet training. Causes of encopresis is caused by disease or an anato...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Constipation in Children: