Viewer Comments: Constipation in Children - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Constipation in Children:

Constipation in Children - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your child's constipation?

Comment from: nana, 35-44 Female Published: April 10

My one-year-old grandson used to scream when he has to do the #2. My daughter-in-law started giving him a laxative, which has helped some. He does not scream every time now.

Comment from: Bingy, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 12

Our three-year-old son has always had "pooping" issues. We tried everything and would usually need to give him a glycerin suppository to offer him relief. Last month I started giving him Activia yogurt (prune), by freezing it into a popsicle. Voila!! Probem solved!! Two of these bad boys a day and he is now having regular/daily bowel movements. Who knew something so simply could solve years of anguish both for our little guy and his parents. Give it a try folks...it works wonders, it really does!

Related Reading: glycerin

Comment from: Gabbymadge, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 08

My little girl started withholding her poo about ten months ago (we think the trigger may have been a sore one, but we'll obviously never know.) At the time she was 2 and a half, and virtually toilet trained. Since then we have been seeing the doctor at regular intervals, who prescribed Movicol, which we've administered daily since. What has been happening is that she will wee in the potty but won't poo. She will go in her pants and deny all knowledge. I asked for a pediatrician appointment, as we have been at our wit's end. We've bought books, followed dietary and behavioral advice, and tried just about everything we see suggested, but she's now almost 3 and a half and she's still withholding and going in her pants. She was X-rayed, and found to have impaction 3 weeks ago, so the Movicol was tripled, which has led to immense amounts of diarrhea. We've all found this quite distressing, although we as adults understand its necessity. My daughter is currently not attending pre-school as she gets too upset if it isn't one of us dealing with her, and our other children have begun to comment on the smell. Our whole family is affected and distressed by this, and we really don't know what to do next for her.

Comment from: concerned mom, 0-2 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

My 2 year old daughter has had a problem with constipation since she was about a month or two old. She would scream and cry when she had to eliminate. I took her to a specialist and he prescribed Miralax, a stool softener and a constipation reliever. I usually give her a capful every 2 or 3 days in a cup or bottle of milk or juice. It dissolves right in. It has helped keep her regular and she doesn't cry when she has to eliminate her bowels.

Comment from: Winny, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My 11 year old son has chronic constipation. He experience symptoms like pain around the naval, nausea and vomiting, loss of appetite, constipation. His doctor gave him a solution which really works for him. He passes his bowels once a day and now his appetite has returned to normal. I can't tell you how happy I am now as it's been a nightmare for both me and my son since he has been misdiagnosed for a long time. Now I am a happy mum.

Must Read Articles Related to Constipation in Children

Encopresis
Encopresis Encopresis is the soiling of the underwear with stool by children who are past the age of toilet training. Causes of encopresis is caused by disease or an anato...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Constipation in Children:

Constipation in Children - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your children constipation?

Constipation in Children - Experience

Please describe your experience with children constipation.