Viewer Comments: Contact Lenses - Side effects

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Contact Lenses:

Contact Lenses - Side effects

Have you had complications from wearing contact lenses? If so, what were they?

Comment from: .., 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I am into my second year of wearing contacts because of my inability to see text and objects from far away. Just recently, after taking out my daily soft lenses, I felt as if something was stuck to my eyelid and was scratching my eye. I only felt this pain when I closed my eyes. Once I put my contacts back on, my eyes feel fine.

Comment from: Earnest, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

The only time I have experienced complications with contact lenses is when I have been on long plane journeys and attribute it to air conditioning.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I started wearing a bi-focal contact lens in my left eye. It worked great at first. After wearing the lens for about a month and a half, my vision got extremely worse in the eye. I went to a specialist, and I did not wear contact lenses for a month and my eye went back to normal vision strength.

Comment from: gm1coach, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I have one contact the folds up under my eye lid. I have tried using a tear solution. This happens about 50 % of the time and the rest of the time it is fine. With the other eye, there is no problem at all.

Comment from: Diane W., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I have been wearing contact lenses for over thirty years. I started with hard lenses and progressed to soft and then soft extended wear. I was just recently told by my optician that my blood vessels in my eye are beginning to grow over my contact lens. I never heard of such a thing. He said it was caused by lack of oxygen to the eye. Apparently the brand I wear are the worst lenses on the market. So buyer beware!

Comment from: BIPIN AGRAWAL, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I recently bought a pair of soft contact lenses from an eye physician. The vision correction is very good. However, the lens for my left eye gets cloudy after a few hours of wear.

Comment from: blessed, 45-54 Female Published: July 26

I have to continuously wipe the corner of my eyes to remove the gelish stuff there.

Must Read Articles Related to Contact Lenses

Anatomy and Physiology of the Eye
Anatomy of the Eye Even though the eye is small, only about 1 inch in diameter, it serves a very important function -- the sense of sight. Vision is by far the most used of the fi...learn more >>
Eye Care Providers
Eye Care Providers When you need to visit an eye care professional, it is important to make sure that you see the person who is most qualified to take care of any concerns you ma...learn more >>
Vision Correction Surgery
Vision Correction Surgery Vision correction surgery changes the cornea to focus light on the back of the eye without the need for corrective lenses. There are several types of vision cor...learn more >>