Viewer Comments: Corneal Abrasion - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Corneal Abrasion:

Corneal Abrasion - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your corneal abrasion?

Comment from: I, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

My vision was a little blurry in one eye on Sunday. I thought it was my contact. I went to sleep and woke up to vision that was even more blurry. I removed the contact, put on my glasses, but my vision was still blurry. Then the pain came, and it got worse and worse in a very short amount of time. 7 am - blurry vision, 7:30 am - terrible pain in the eye. Saw my ophthalmologist at 9:30. He said I had a central corneal abrasion and more than 50% of my cornea was gone. I went home with a pressure eye patch. I did what he said; rest, rest, and more rest. The next day, I started using the antibiotic eye drops. Followed up two days later and it is healing nicely. Thank God!

Comment from: Muriel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had thought I got something in my eye as it kept tearing up and felt like something was in it. For three hours my eye would not stop tearing tear drops. Finally I called a nurse and she advised ER. The ER doc examined my eye after numbing it. Then he found nothing but did an eye IV of saline solution for 15 minutes to make sure nothing was in my eye. It is a special contact the put over your eye and the solution runs over your eye onto a pile of towels and can flush out anything in your eye. It didn't hurt until two minutes before it ended and then my eye burned a bit, but I put up with it. Before that he actually saw the cornea abrasion with a special dye he put in my eye and looked at it with special light. The aftercare was four drops a day of antibiotics, eye drops for seven days to prevent bacterial infection. First three days I took Motrin for pain. I had my eye examined four days later by an eye doctor and the corneal abrasion was all healed!

Comment from: John, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I had conjunctivitis and then later developed corneal abrasion. I suddenly woke up with pain on my right eye which prompted me to see an ophthalmologist and was diagnosed to have an abrasion (which is big, almost 50% of my cornea has it), the doctor asked if I feel something on my eye and when I told him yes, he tried to remove the foreign object in my eye. It relieved the pain in my eye and he applied a pressure patch on it. The next day he removed the patch and told me that it was healing already and it might take 2 weeks for it to heal. I'm still experiencing blurry vision on my right eye but was told that it was normal due to the abrasion. An eye gel was prescribed by the doctor and told me to apply it 4x a day. The doctor also advised that enough rest is a must especially for the eyes. Lucky that it's only superficial and is now healing well.

Comment from: samantha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

My toddler poked me in the eye two nights ago. It was extremely painful, but I didn't think anything of it. Yesterday when I woke up, my eye was swollen, red, weeping and there was a sharp pain as though a piece of glass were in my eye along with light sensitivity. I went to the E.R. and was sent to an ophthalmologist after the E.R. The doctor found a large corneal abrasion in my eye. After several hours, the ophthalmologist was able to see me as a walk-in. He prescribed an antibiotic ointment and asked me to return in 24 hours ONLY if it wasn't better or if it got worse. Today, the sharp pain of feeling something is in my eye is gone, however, it's still extremely swollen, red, and weeping, sensitive to light, and there's a pain whenever I look to the right. I guess I'll be going back this afternoon.

Comment from: Katz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I woke up one morning (just so happened to be the day of a very important event for me) and my eye was hurting so bad, I had no idea why or what to do. I ended up going to a store that happened to have an optical office. The doctor just happened to have an opening 30 minutes after I walked in. By then the pain was so bad, I was really glad I had gone to that store. She diagnosed my pain as "a surface abrasion" and prescribed me eye drops ($80) called "Zymar" which is an anti-biotic. Within a few hours, I was good to go. I had to put 1 drop every hour for the first day, and 4 per day after for 7 days. She saved my performance and I sing her praises!

Comment from: Timothy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I scratched the cornea of my left eye with a pine needle, even though I was wearing glasses. For 4 years (!) the scratch would not heal and it would get painfully re-opened if I opened my eye in the morning without precautions. A visit to the Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary resulted in compassion only. Somehow I came across the idea of treating it with vitamin A, so I got over-the-counter vitamin A capsules and stared putting a drop of the vitamin in the eye before going to bed. Besides blurry vision caused by the oil, I had no unpleasant sensation in the eye. In addition to the notion that Vitamin A is good for your eyes" the oil apparently also acted as a lubricant, so the scratch didn't re-open in the morning. In 3-4 months the scratch healed.

Must Read Articles Related to Corneal Abrasion

Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>
Corneal Flash Burns
Corneal Flash Burns Eyes, particularly the cornea (the clear window of tissue on the front of the eyeball), can be damaged easily by exposure to ultraviolet radiation from the sun ...learn more >>
Eye Injuries
Eye Injuries Eye injuries range from the very minor, such as getting soap in the eye, to the catastrophic, resulting in permanent loss of vision. Treatment of eye injuries d...learn more >>