Viewer Comments: Costochondritis - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with costochondritis.

...
Comment from: Staylor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have been hurting for past couple days and today on 11/30/2015 it has got worse. I have sharp pains in my chest and it hurts to breathe or lie flat down or on my left side. So I went to the emergency room to see what was going on and the doctor said it was costochondritis, and that is the worst thing you can ever have. I have never hurt so bad in my chest with really sharp pains.

Comment from: Kingsley, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 24

Several years ago I began showing symptoms of costochondritis but doctors in the emergency room (ER) and general practice could not diagnose. Then 3 years ago, while working in a restaurant kitchen, the symptoms became much more severe. Often looking like a heart-attack, I would lose the use of my arm, my jaw would tighten, I'd feel a stab in my chest, and fall to the ground. Eventually it took me out of my career. Someone gently poking me in the chest could send me to the floor. After 18 months of MRIs, x-rays, heart monitors, and blood tests my doctors decided it was costochondritis. They told me to rest and take anti-inflammatories. I was told that was the only help possible. Since then I have been fearful of exercising my upper body. Most symptoms have subsided but again I've had to lose out a lot on my career and life style.

Comment from: ME, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was just recently diagnosed with costochondritis yesterday afternoon, 11/11/2015. I was having bad chest pains while I was at work. Next day they were still there but now my left arm was going numb/tingly. The next morning I went to see my doctor but she was closed for the holiday. I didn't think it was too serious to go to the emergency room (ER) so I went to a Minute Clinic. She then told me to go to the ER immediately or she would call 911. When I arrived at the ER they started some tests then let me sit for a few hours which is when I realized it wasn't anything to serious. Later they diagnosed me with an inflamed sternum and some arthritis around the joint. Not sure if raking caused this or running on my treadmill. All I do know is I always get the gender specific weird things. This is just another thing I will have to live with and it is awful. The pain is terrible when it escalates and I will have to try a heat pad. I hope it works. Good luck to you all as well.

Comment from: Sallie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was diagnosed with costochondritis three years ago by two different doctors in two different states. Both doctors said they knew how to treat it and both prescribed Meloxicam. One doctor gave me a prescription that orders the 7.5 mg and the other doctor gave me a prescription for 15 mg tablets. My symptoms go away for several months but eventually return.

Comment from: Kika, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I went to the emergency room with chest pain in July. I thought I was having a heart attack, but was diagnosed with costochondritis. I took the prescribed 800 Motrin, and used a heating pad. The doctor put me on prednisone for 10 days which helped, but doesn't want me on it long term. Nothing is helping. It constantly interrupts my sleep. I can't exercise so my back and hips are getting weaker. I am not enjoying life and this constant pain is really wearing me down. I really wish there was a cure.

Comment from: cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

Day 1, I went to bed and could not lie on my stomach. I have pain, low right side below rib. Day 2, I went to my doctor and he diagnosed me with costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome. I am taking ibuprofen but pain continues. On day 4 pain has radiated around to my right side of back. Stabbing pain occurs at random movements. Sleeping is also very difficult, I cannot roll over, I have to sit up to change position and lie back down; very limited positions without pain. It is now day 5 and no relief.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had an allergy shot last week which turned into an allergic reaction. I had itching, chest pain, and swelling. A week later, I still feel terrible with pressure on my sternum and right side. I went to the urgent care and they took several tests and an EKG, which was normal. The doctor told me I had costochondritis which could be relieved with heating pad an ibuprofen. This pain is very annoying.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Costochondritis

Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective
Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a type of arthritis that involves the spine and the sacroiliac (SI) joints.learn more >>
Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia Fibromyalgia is an illness with no known cause. Symptoms include chronic pain, fatigue, fibrofog (mental haziness), insomnia, headaches, nervousness, numbness, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your costochondritis?

Costochondritis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your costochondritis?