Viewer Comments: Costochondritis - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with costochondritis?

Comment from: misscrochet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

This is the most excruciating pain ever. I have had a lot of abdominal surgeries and this hurts just as bad. I can't lift left my arm. Every time I breathe, I want to scream.

Comment from: Destiny, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I had a sore throat which turned into a fever and eventually a bad cough. The cough has lasted about 3 weeks, but started to go away. I started to feel a sharp pain in my chest deep under my right breast. The pain eventually became more and more sharp and painful until I decided to go to the ER. I am a nurse who works on a cardiac floor, so, I frequently see people with chest pain. I became afraid that may be I had something seriously wrong with me. All my tests in the ER were negative and I was diagnosed with costochondritis. The doctor told me to take motrin, but, my pain is still severe. I have been using a heating pad. Hopefully this will go away soon.

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I have been "suffering" from this nasty condition for almost two months now. I take naproxen prescribed by my doctor every day and use a heating pad applied to the affected area twice a day. My doctor gave me a pack of cortisone which I finished a few days ago. I have tried not to take Vicodin except to help me sleep, but I am really worn down by the pain. It is a constant ache with sharp shooting pains and my skin is extremely sensitive to touch. I have been unable to wear a bra since the start. I've had an X-ray to rule out a broken rib. I've consulted with three doctors who all say nothing but wait it out.

Related Reading: naproxen | cortisone

Comment from: Catherine, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 03

After a biopsy my entire left side hurt. I was told it would go away in a few days. After 3 weeks of terrible pain, I was diagnosed with costochondritis. I could not lift my left arm; it was painful to breathe and to move my left side. I was prescribed ibuprofen every 6 hours, which sent my blood pressure soaring. I ended up in the emergency room.

Related Reading: ibuprofen

Must Read Articles Related to Costochondritis

Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective
Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a type of arthritis that involves the spine and the sacroiliac (SI) joints (joints between the lowest end of the spine, called th...learn more >>
Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia Fibromyalgia is an illness with no known cause. Symptoms include chronic pain, fatigue, fibrofog (mental haziness), insomnia, headaches, nervousness, numbness, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your costochondritis?

Costochondritis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your costochondritis?