Viewer Comments: Costochondritis - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with costochondritis.

...
Comment from: Jgarcia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

My pain started this past Monday. I woke up in excruciating pain, it felt like a heart attack. I went to the emergency room and they ran tests on me. One doctor gave me a gastro intestinal cocktail; which did not work. The other doctor that came in asked me if that helped and I said no. He then gave me a shot of Dilaudid, which made my whole body heavy to relieve the pain. Then he told me I had inflammation in the chest wall also known as costochondritis. It is now a week later and I am still having the pains. The doctor prescribed me with Ibuprofen 800 and Percocet. He told me to use heating pads. I am glad that there are others out there with this.

Comment from: LuluJean, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed with costochondritis about 8 months back and still have been having issues with the pain especially if I do any of my dancing or a lot of house work. I cannot pick up anything over 10 lb. now without pain. I have to be careful on the amount of food I eat also, plus if any of the food gives me gas. The gas can make my ribs hurt from the other side. I cannot sit very long in one place either.

Comment from: Parge, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 02

So pleased to know there are other people around with the same problem. Having put in my symptoms, it came up with costochondritis, and I had never heard of it before. I was convinced it was to do with my stomach, having had problems before with gastritis. I had been moving furniture and painting walls, etc. And now I realize that I had put a strain on my ribs. I couldn't stand wearing a bra and also I wasn't feeling hungry when my stomach was inflamed. I was told just to take paracetamol as I cannot take ibuprofen. I also had pains around my midriff and back. So now I will lay off the decorating! Was glad I went to the doctors who confirmed the diagnosis!

Comment from: anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have had very intense pain in my chest due to costochondritis, as well as bouts of awful numbness. I have found an amazing remedy; lots of yoga. It is fantastic, my symptoms are 99 percent better.

Comment from: Staylor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have been hurting for past couple days and today on 11/30/2015 it has got worse. I have sharp pains in my chest and it hurts to breathe or lie flat down or on my left side. So I went to the emergency room to see what was going on and the doctor said it was costochondritis, and that is the worst thing you can ever have. I have never hurt so bad in my chest with really sharp pains.

Comment from: Kingsley, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 24

Several years ago I began showing symptoms of costochondritis but doctors in the emergency room (ER) and general practice could not diagnose. Then 3 years ago, while working in a restaurant kitchen, the symptoms became much more severe. Often looking like a heart-attack, I would lose the use of my arm, my jaw would tighten, I'd feel a stab in my chest, and fall to the ground. Eventually it took me out of my career. Someone gently poking me in the chest could send me to the floor. After 18 months of MRIs, x-rays, heart monitors, and blood tests my doctors decided it was costochondritis. They told me to rest and take anti-inflammatories. I was told that was the only help possible. Since then I have been fearful of exercising my upper body. Most symptoms have subsided but again I've had to lose out a lot on my career and life style.

Comment from: ME, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was just recently diagnosed with costochondritis yesterday afternoon, 11/11/2015. I was having bad chest pains while I was at work. Next day they were still there but now my left arm was going numb/tingly. The next morning I went to see my doctor but she was closed for the holiday. I didn't think it was too serious to go to the emergency room (ER) so I went to a Minute Clinic. She then told me to go to the ER immediately or she would call 911. When I arrived at the ER they started some tests then let me sit for a few hours which is when I realized it wasn't anything to serious. Later they diagnosed me with an inflamed sternum and some arthritis around the joint. Not sure if raking caused this or running on my treadmill. All I do know is I always get the gender specific weird things. This is just another thing I will have to live with and it is awful. The pain is terrible when it escalates and I will have to try a heat pad. I hope it works. Good luck to you all as well.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Costochondritis

Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective
Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a type of arthritis...learn more >>
Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia Fibromyalgia is an illness with no known cause. Symptoms include chronic pain, fatigue, fibrofog (mental haziness), insomnia, headaches, nervousness, numbness, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your costochondritis?

Costochondritis - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your costochondritis?