Viewer Comments: Costochondritis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your costochondritis?

Comment from: Princess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have been suffering with this costochondritis pain for quite some time now. This is worse than labor pain. There are mornings I can't do anything with my left arm, can't breathe too hard because that causes the pain to be more severe. I took prescribed medications and none of them helped. Just wish there was a cure for this. I want to live a normal life without worrying or waking up with this excruciating pain.

Comment from: mark, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

While camping alone about a year ago, I started to have chest pain and shortness of breath. I tried to get in my truck to go home but never made it. Someone thought I was having a heart attack and called an ambulance. In the ambulance my blood pressure went up to 280 over 200. I got to hospital, had a chest x-ray, EKG, and blood work. Everything came back normal. I had blood work and an EKG every 2 hours for the next 12 hours, everything came back normal. The doctors said it was inner chest wall pain, costochondritis.

Comment from: Anna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have had flare ups of costochondritis for years. My doctors told me that stress brings it on. It is horribly painful and debilitating when it strikes. It appeared to be a heart attack the first time it happened. I was relieved that it wasn't a heart problem but not happy that there is nothing I can do to prevent it. As far as I know there is no treatment other than painkillers and using a heating pad.

Comment from: Elfina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I have had chronic costochondritis for over 15 years. It started after a car accident. When I laugh it kicks in and I have to hold my ribs in until it subsides. The pain is very intense and I feel as if it puffs up like a balloon. I can feel the swelling go down in stages as the pain releases. It happens sometimes when I cough or sneeze, or when I am in an odd position. I never know when it will kick in and I really hate it. I have severe osteoporosis too and mild psoriasis flare-ups occasionally.

Comment from: C.S., (Patient) Published: April 08

I had chest pain on the left side of my chest near the breast bone or ribs and also on the left side of the breast in the ribs. I was sent to the hospital overnight for observation. A heart monitor was put on and electrocardiograph (2), a nuclear stress test (2) and an x-ray were taken. Before the stress test one after the other 7 vials of blood was taken. Every test came out good. Final diagnosis was inflammation of the lining of the ribs; costochondritis. I wish I had been diagnosed with this before rather than after 24 hours in the hospital.

Comment from: Willie, Male (Patient) Published: April 02

I have been struggling with this costochondritis chest pain for a number of years. It would start with a severe sharp pain on my left chest side about where the heart would be. At first I thought it was heart attack, but being the quiet type I kept it to myself. The sharp pain would grow into what felt like a massive vise around my chest area and closing fast. Then a massive pain would move up my chest to my jaws on both sides of my face and from there it would go up into my temples and really be a screaming pain. Fifty percent of the time I'm forced to live with it until it just passes, but sometimes I'm able to take a large drink of water and it feels like a mass is being pushed down the old tube and I get instant relief; until the next time, that is.

Comment from: lmh0392, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I had a bad cough in the fall. Before I knew it I had this horrible pain on my left side. I had trouble breathing, sometimes even a certain way I moved caused tremendous pain. After a few months the pain seemed to go away. Then last week I started coughing again and its back worse than before. I have been taking Aleve and it helps a little. I am at my wits end. The heating pad helps some when I go bed. I plan on going back to my family doctor, and I am just hoping there is a medication out there to help costochondritis!

Comment from: Peach, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

This is my second time being diagnosed with costochondritis in an emergency room (ER). I have sharp pains on my left side that woke me up from a sleep. It hurts to lay on my back or left side. The doctor prescribed pain and anti-inflammatory medications. I was also given a shot of pain medications in the ER, which took the pain from a 10 to 3 within an hour.

Must Read Articles Related to Costochondritis

Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective
Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a type of arthritis that involves the spine and the sacroiliac (SI) joints.learn more >>
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Fibromyalgia Fibromyalgia is an illness with no known cause. Symptoms include chronic pain, fatigue, fibrofog (mental haziness), insomnia, headaches, nervousness, numbness, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with costochondritis.

Costochondritis - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your costochondritis?