Viewer Comments: Costochondritis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your costochondritis?

Comment from: frebyrd38, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I was diagnosed with costochondritis in 2013. The pain is under my left breast behind the breast to the side of the breast under the armpit and around to the middle of the back. When it flares up it is very, very painful. Usually I am given antibiotics and a Medrol pack which seems to ease the pain but it truly never goes away. I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia so I have learned to live with it. Just got to take it easy for a while and take what is prescribed to you and Motrin or Aleve. I also use ice packs and a heating pad depending on the weather outside. Cold aggravates it in the winter also. So I get most of my flare ups in winter. Thinking about all of you who have it. I sure know the pain.

Comment from: In Pain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I was diagnosed with costochondritis in 2008 after many visits to many different doctors who kept telling me I had an ulcer. I even rushed myself of to the emergency room and had x-rays and ECGs done, thankfully no heart condition was found. However my pain generally starts in my left breast and within an hour has moved down to my left lower ribs so severe that I still think it is a heart attack. I take an anti-inflammatory medicine which soothes it a bit but I have this attack 1 or 2 times a week and feel I can't go through life with this pain anymore, surely there must be a cure!

Comment from: Carmel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

With costochondritis I have very severe pain and tenderness in tissues across left breastbone into breast and out to the back of left breast; also underarm tenderness on left hand side. Tissue in this area feels sore to touch and very tender. I have quite a stabbing pain, severe at times. Almost inclined to take your breath away and sore when you take a breath.

Comment from: rusty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

My symptom of costochondritis is burning in the upper chest area from left to right. It hurts in warm or hot weather but it is worse in cold weather.

Comment from: Yummie54, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

Movement and coughing was so very painful with costochondritis.

Comment from: Princess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have been suffering with this costochondritis pain for quite some time now. This is worse than labor pain. There are mornings I can't do anything with my left arm, can't breathe too hard because that causes the pain to be more severe. I took prescribed medications and none of them helped. Just wish there was a cure for this. I want to live a normal life without worrying or waking up with this excruciating pain.

Comment from: mark, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

While camping alone about a year ago, I started to have chest pain and shortness of breath. I tried to get in my truck to go home but never made it. Someone thought I was having a heart attack and called an ambulance. In the ambulance my blood pressure went up to 280 over 200. I got to hospital, had a chest x-ray, EKG, and blood work. Everything came back normal. I had blood work and an EKG every 2 hours for the next 12 hours, everything came back normal. The doctors said it was inner chest wall pain, costochondritis.

Comment from: Anna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have had flare ups of costochondritis for years. My doctors told me that stress brings it on. It is horribly painful and debilitating when it strikes. It appeared to be a heart attack the first time it happened. I was relieved that it wasn't a heart problem but not happy that there is nothing I can do to prevent it. As far as I know there is no treatment other than painkillers and using a heating pad.

Comment from: Elfina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I have had chronic costochondritis for over 15 years. It started after a car accident. When I laugh it kicks in and I have to hold my ribs in until it subsides. The pain is very intense and I feel as if it puffs up like a balloon. I can feel the swelling go down in stages as the pain releases. It happens sometimes when I cough or sneeze, or when I am in an odd position. I never know when it will kick in and I really hate it. I have severe osteoporosis too and mild psoriasis flare-ups occasionally.

Must Read Articles Related to Costochondritis

Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective
Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a type of arthritis...learn more >>
Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia Fibromyalgia is an illness with no known cause. Symptoms include chronic pain, fatigue, fibrofog (mental haziness), insomnia, headaches, nervousness, numbness, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with costochondritis.

Costochondritis - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your costochondritis?