Viewer Comments: Costochondritis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your costochondritis?

...
Comment from: Kelly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I've suffered with costochondritis since I was about 10 years old. I've had mild attacks and I've had attacks where I've blacked out from the pain. I also get dizzy and have blurred vision with my pains. Over the years my best help has been rest, immobilization of my left arm, massages and also the help of breathing rubs such as Vicks and other oils, etc. This time I'm in my 30s and it's now been 6 weeks of this occurring on and off, together with inflammation in my neck and shoulders. I've been put on steroids and painkillers, but they don't seem to be helping much. I hope this goes away soon as it is greatly affecting my daily life and that of my family.

Comment from: Mazry, Female (Patient) Published: July 25

For the past few weeks I have been experiencing what I have been calling chest pains. I would grip under my left breast at the top ribs and hold my breath until the pain went away. The pain would come and go often throughout the day. Sometimes staying longer than the last "episode". It was also causing me to have panic attacks as I was convinced that I was having a heart attack. I went to the doctor and they did an EKG and all was normal. She gave me an antidepressant and sent me home. Not being sure about my health care visit and the lack of an official diagnosis I continued to panic and feel as if I was going to have heart attack or stroke. One night I was home alone and I felt the pain and I then went in to a full blown panic attack and called my brother to take me to the ER. I was convinced I was dying. My left arm went numb, hard, and cold. I didn't just think I was dying- I KNEW I WAS DYING. I went to the ER. I actually felt better and wanted to leave the waiting room and go home as the pain had subsided. But I knew I needed to stay and figure this out. They did a CAT scan and there were no blood clots and everything looked fine in there. No Pneumonia, no collapsed lung, nothing. Even the rib that was extremely sore was just fine. They then diagnosed me with costochondritis. I left feeling much better knowing that my heart was good and I was not knocking on heaven's door. I have been treating myself with a heating pad on my back as I feel some pain in my back now. I have been taking Advil as I cannot take steroids. It has been 2 days since the ER and since I started treating myself with anti inflammatory. So I am still having these pains.

Comment from: me, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

My first costochondritis attack was when I was 14, I got kicked in the chest by a horse. It was long (approximately 2 weeks) before I started to have chest pains. At the time my mom and dad thought I was just trying to get attention because I was the 4th child out of 5. Years went by, and my nephew (my sister's boy) started having attacks in high school (16). They did all kinds of tests, and after all these years my parents realized there was something going on. I was very athletic in high school as my nephew was. I learned how to live with it every day; some attacks are worse than others. The only fear I have is I will have a heart attack and pass it off as one of these and heart disease runs in both sides of my family. I hope I never have to find out. I had a little attack today and my co-workers pretty much freaked. The worse is when I wait for days off before going to the doctor and all he can do is give my hydrocodone and I hate that medicine, makes me feel drunk all the time. Thank goodness it has been a couple of years now that I had to take something for it. My leg does not work well and my left arm might as well be amputated on some of these attacks.

Comment from: Abigail, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was diagnosed with costochondritis, in the emergency room. Like most of you I thought I was having a heart attack. I had an EKG, blood work and x-ray. That's when they diagnosed me. Before this happened, I had never heard of this condition. They said it was not life threatening, but as we know, it hurts (a lot). After 3 weeks my pain subsided, with aspirin and heating pads. But now it is back, and the pain radiates to my back. Now I'm thinking the worst, if this is lung cancer. My doctor will not give me a CAT scan. I am in pain, my anxiety is high, and I can't do the things I once enjoyed. Hope my story helps someone. While the doctors do not take us serious we know it hurts.

Comment from: brimac, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I am a 57 year old male who has had costochondritis going on since October 2014, starting with chest pains and shortness of breath. I was admitted into Accident and Emergency as my oxygen levels had dropped and I fainted. ECGs, x-rays and blood work were all clear. Anti-inflammatory medicines caused stomach issues which took two months to clear. I am now waiting for a CT scan. Each doctor seems to have a different diagnosis and a different treatment. In the meantime I can't exercise, stretch, cough, sneeze or laugh. Wonderful, isn't it!

...

Must Read Articles Related to Costochondritis

Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective
Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a type of arthritis that involves the spine and the sacroiliac (SI) joints.learn more >>
Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia Fibromyalgia is an illness with no known cause. Symptoms include chronic pain, fatigue, fibrofog (mental haziness), insomnia, headaches, nervousness, numbness, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with costochondritis.

Costochondritis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your costochondritis?