Viewer Comments: Costochondritis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your costochondritis?

Comment from: Mazry, Female (Patient) Published: July 25

For the past few weeks I have been experiencing what I have been calling chest pains. I would grip under my left breast at the top ribs and hold my breath until the pain went away. The pain would come and go often throughout the day. Sometimes staying longer than the last "episode". It was also causing me to have panic attacks as I was convinced that I was having a heart attack. I went to the doctor and they did an EKG and all was normal. She gave me an antidepressant and sent me home. Not being sure about my health care visit and the lack of an official diagnosis I continued to panic and feel as if I was going to have heart attack or stroke. One night I was home alone and I felt the pain and I then went in to a full blown panic attack and called my brother to take me to the ER. I was convinced I was dying. My left arm went numb, hard, and cold. I didn't just think I was dying- I KNEW I WAS DYING. I went to the ER. I actually felt better and wanted to leave the waiting room and go home as the pain had subsided. But I knew I needed to stay and figure this out. They did a CAT scan and there were no blood clots and everything looked fine in there. No Pneumonia, no collapsed lung, nothing. Even the rib that was extremely sore was just fine. They then diagnosed me with costochondritis. I left feeling much better knowing that my heart was good and I was not knocking on heaven's door. I have been treating myself with a heating pad on my back as I feel some pain in my back now. I have been taking Advil as I cannot take steroids. It has been 2 days since the ER and since I started treating myself with anti inflammatory. So I am still having these pains.

Comment from: Abigail, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was diagnosed with costochondritis, in the emergency room. Like most of you I thought I was having a heart attack. I had an EKG, blood work and x-ray. That's when they diagnosed me. Before this happened, I had never heard of this condition. They said it was not life threatening, but as we know, it hurts (a lot). After 3 weeks my pain subsided, with aspirin and heating pads. But now it is back, and the pain radiates to my back. Now I'm thinking the worst, if this is lung cancer. My doctor will not give me a CAT scan. I am in pain, my anxiety is high, and I can't do the things I once enjoyed. Hope my story helps someone. While the doctors do not take us serious we know it hurts.

Comment from: brimac, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I am a 57 year old male who has had costochondritis going on since October 2014, starting with chest pains and shortness of breath. I was admitted into Accident and Emergency as my oxygen levels had dropped and I fainted. ECGs, x-rays and blood work were all clear. Anti-inflammatory medicines caused stomach issues which took two months to clear. I am now waiting for a CT scan. Each doctor seems to have a different diagnosis and a different treatment. In the meantime I can't exercise, stretch, cough, sneeze or laugh. Wonderful, isn't it!

Comment from: Nanny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

About a year ago I started having back spasms and pain in my back, then it started moving around my side, and then to my breast bone. The pain was horrible. I went 5 or 6 times to the emergency room and doctor visits, no one had a clue. I couldn't do anything, not even lie down. I would walk around till the pain was so bad, then I took pain pill, it didn't help much but at least it let me sleep. A friend of mine who is a nurse asked me what was going on and I told her; my symptoms were the same as costochondritis, so I told my doctor and all they could give is Lortab. So today after months of the worst pain gone, it is back little by little. I hate this.

Comment from: srefa, 35-44 (Patient) Published: April 14

I was diagnosed with costochondritis and prescribed with Motrin to take 3 to 4 times a day. I was feeling better. But suddenly after 2 months I am suffering again.

Comment from: veg954, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

The only thing that helped the severe pain of costochondritis was morphine, IV fluids and nothing by mouth for three days. All tests were negative. Another thing that gave me some relief was lying on my stomach with three pillows under the abdomen. So grateful it is finally gone!

Must Read Articles Related to Costochondritis

Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective
Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a type of arthritis that involves the spine and the sacroiliac (SI) joints.learn more >>
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Fibromyalgia Fibromyalgia is an illness with no known cause. Symptoms include chronic pain, fatigue, fibrofog (mental haziness), insomnia, headaches, nervousness, numbness, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with costochondritis.

Costochondritis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your costochondritis?