Viewer Comments: Costochondritis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your costochondritis?

...
Comment from: Cheri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I am still suffering with costochondritis since last year. I have been on and off prednisone and I get frequent cortisone shots in my sternum. I have also fractured two ribs in my sternum.

Comment from: jo b, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I stared having terrible pain in my chest area after having an echocardiogram. The tech really tried to get in between my ribs even though I kept telling her she was hurting me. After the test, my doctor said my ribs were bruised. This took place in May. I am still suffering. My lung doctor said my sternum was bruised. Knowing now what is wrong helps. I cannot wear bras that have snaps, so I wear loose gym-type bras. I cannot work in my yard without pain.

Comment from: vanessa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

Having costochondritis is life-wrecking. Ehen the pain starts, you cannot move or do anything.

Comment from: JenFL53, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I have been battling costochrondritis for about 10 years. During the first year, I tried all OTC meds, but nothing worked. Finally during an intense flare-up, I went to the E.R. My EKG was normal and they diagnosed me with indigestion and gave anti-acid meds, which did not work. Later my PCP diagnosed me and put me on Mobic. It did work as long as I did not consume caffeine.

Comment from: Irish, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

My pain flares up and I end up in emergency thinking I have had a heart attack. I was told it is costochondritis. I also have osteoarthritis. I find stress will flare it up. I have not had bad attack for two years now.

Comment from: Jenny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I was diagnosed with costochondritis several weeks ago. I thought it was job stress but the pain did not subside. Finally, I went to the doctor and my blood pressure, which is normal shot up. Now, I'm taking an anti-inflammatory medication. Also, my doctor advised me to eat a low sodium diet and lose ten pounds. I am very careful what I eat. It is scary but my tests for my heart are normal. So, the best medicine for me is to relax. It it is good that there are other people sharing their story.

Comment from: Jenn q, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I was diagnosed 17 weeks ago with chostochondritis. I'm 32 and I now live on Arthrotec, pain killers, toradol, and anxiety medication. I have had numerous visits to the ER when I can't breathe at night or when my meds don't want to work. I just want this to go away and to start living again.

Comment from: kl, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I had the flu real bad twice this past season, with the worst coughing I had ever had in my life. I got over the flu but my chest was racked from the coughing. It never started to feel better as a matter of fact it started feeling worse. It did cause anxiety and did end me up in the hospital where the doctors checked my lungs and heart and found I was A-okay in that department and release me with a bunch of Tylenol 3s that didn't help me at all so after another 3 weeks of suffering super bad like pain level 9s at times I went to see this 81 year old family doctor who pushed on the center of my chest and asked if it hurt which it did a little and said I probably have costochondritis and then he gave me a script for Celebrex 200s and after the first pill I started to feel better today, day one. Hope this helps.

Comment from: massageye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I get costochondritis symptoms from tension and stress, but sometimes also after yoga classes when I participate in postures with my head down and breathing deeply. I also swell in my face and get an itchy head from being face or head down during yoga or massage. Heart problems have been ruled out, but I have lots of tender spots in my chest, especially on the left near the sternum. Remembering to breathe and chiropractor treatments have been my ways of coping, and having some heat or even a friend's hand on my heart area is very soothing. Nice to know this condition has a name.

Comment from: Bess, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I was diagnosed with costochondritis 4 days ago. I had had a bad fall that crushed my chest so I thought I had cracked a rib. After a few days the pain suddenly became much worse, I couldn't breathe deeply, cough, sneeze or even laugh without a piercing pain. Io I saw my doctor who diagnosed this. I was already on Morphine for my back so she doubled the dose. I am now taking the maximum NSAID's and maximum paracetemol, so all this should help.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Costochondritis

Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective
Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a type of arthritis that involves the spine and the sacroiliac (SI) joints (joints between the lowest end of the spine, called th...learn more >>
Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia Fibromyalgia is an illness with no known cause. Symptoms include chronic pain, fatigue, fibrofog (mental haziness), insomnia, headaches, nervousness, numbness, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with costochondritis?

Costochondritis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your costochondritis?