Viewer Comments: Costochondritis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your costochondritis?

Comment from: Abigail, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was diagnosed with costochondritis, in the emergency room. Like most of you I thought I was having a heart attack. I had an EKG, blood work and x-ray. That's when they diagnosed me. Before this happened, I had never heard of this condition. They said it was not life threatening, but as we know, it hurts (a lot). After 3 weeks my pain subsided, with aspirin and heating pads. But now it is back, and the pain radiates to my back. Now I'm thinking the worst, if this is lung cancer. My doctor will not give me a CAT scan. I am in pain, my anxiety is high, and I can't do the things I once enjoyed. Hope my story helps someone. While the doctors do not take us serious we know it hurts.

Comment from: brimac, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I am a 57 year old male who has had costochondritis going on since October 2014, starting with chest pains and shortness of breath. I was admitted into Accident and Emergency as my oxygen levels had dropped and I fainted. ECGs, x-rays and blood work were all clear. Anti-inflammatory medicines caused stomach issues which took two months to clear. I am now waiting for a CT scan. Each doctor seems to have a different diagnosis and a different treatment. In the meantime I can't exercise, stretch, cough, sneeze or laugh. Wonderful, isn't it!

Comment from: Nanny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

About a year ago I started having back spasms and pain in my back, then it started moving around my side, and then to my breast bone. The pain was horrible. I went 5 or 6 times to the emergency room and doctor visits, no one had a clue. I couldn't do anything, not even lie down. I would walk around till the pain was so bad, then I took pain pill, it didn't help much but at least it let me sleep. A friend of mine who is a nurse asked me what was going on and I told her; my symptoms were the same as costochondritis, so I told my doctor and all they could give is Lortab. So today after months of the worst pain gone, it is back little by little. I hate this.

Comment from: srefa, 35-44 (Patient) Published: April 14

I was diagnosed with costochondritis and prescribed with Motrin to take 3 to 4 times a day. I was feeling better. But suddenly after 2 months I am suffering again.

Comment from: veg954, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

The only thing that helped the severe pain of costochondritis was morphine, IV fluids and nothing by mouth for three days. All tests were negative. Another thing that gave me some relief was lying on my stomach with three pillows under the abdomen. So grateful it is finally gone!

Comment from: memaw62, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I believe my most recent occurrence of costochondritis was due to an infection, as it was only finally mitigated by serious antibiotics for an apparent ecoli infection that I may have picked up while traveling to Europe. The infection was apparent from my white blood count that was triple the normal count. The infection may have also caused a bout of diarrhea, which occurred just prior to the onset of severe pain on the left side of my rib cage. I remember having this same pain on several previous occasions. These earlier occurrences may have been due to less serious infections, such as bronchitis, the physical stress of chronic coughing, or even the physical stress associated with severe anxiety. Each time I went to the emergency room for this "chest pain" the doctors immediately went looking for a cardiac situation, which they never found. This last time, I described my "rib cage pain" so as not to trigger the "cardiac" response by the doctor. That worked. He was the one who first diagnosed my costochondritis.

Comment from: Skylark, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I went to the emergency room yesterday for chest pains and was diagnosed as having costochondritis. I was prescribed 50mg Prednisone (Deltasone) - 5 tablets, to take 1 per day. These are steroids. The doctor told me that my rib had a viral infection and that the pain radiated outward from the rib, causing pain in my shoulder and neck. He also prescribed Hydrocodone (Vicodin, Lorcet, Lortab, Norco), to help me sleep. I am in perfect health and take no medications. I had not been sick at all before this condition. Age 62.

Must Read Articles Related to Costochondritis

Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective
Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a type of arthritis that involves the spine and the sacroiliac (SI) joints.learn more >>
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Fibromyalgia Fibromyalgia is an illness with no known cause. Symptoms include chronic pain, fatigue, fibrofog (mental haziness), insomnia, headaches, nervousness, numbness, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with costochondritis.

Costochondritis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your costochondritis?