Viewer Comments: Costochondritis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your costochondritis?

Comment from: iggam, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have not been diagnosed yet but by reading this I think I know what it is. I have had pain in my right rib, just below my breast. It is an ache and sometimes a sharp pain. I have had x-rays, CT and an MRI to see what is wrong. Nothing showed up on anything, but the pain continues. I just now heard about costochondritis. I have had this since I had pneumonia in October 20013. I have other issues with bones, so I have been taking other medications for that. So I will bring this up to my doctor next time I see him. Thank you all for your account of this.

Comment from: Gina f., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I had a quadruple triple bypass 14 months ago. I had on going pain in my chest and left sided pain in my ribs. Thinking it was because of the bypass I thought all would have to get better as time goes by. After my bypass I was discharged from hospital with a gastrointestinal (GI) bleed. I did mention this to the cardiologist but he insisted that it was from the iron tablets. Twelve hours after being discharged I was rushed to another hospital where I had to have a blood transfusion because of the GI bleed. Today I still get chronic pain in my chest and the left side of my body, neck and arm. After being taken to the emergency room several times with all tests being negative I was diagnosed with costochondritis. But, besides the pain which I have every day I cannot take anti-inflammatories because of the GI bleed.

Comment from: Shannon S, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I was diagnosed over a year ago. Although the pain is dull and noticeable, it is not debilitating.

Comment from: Gay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have been treated for costochondritis for the last 24 years after having cervical rib removed on left side of my neck. They cut my neck and my chest wall to do surgery and I have been suffering with costochondritis ever since. I have cortisone injections at least 3 times a year and this gives me instant relief.

Comment from: gloria, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 02

I strained my right rib by transferring a patient from a chair back to the bed. This was in 2010. And I am still suffering right rib pain. I can't bend or twist without feeling like I'm getting a spasm.

Comment from: Costo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

My costochondritis started when I had a severe stress attack. I immediately thought I was having a heart attack and drove myself to the ER. After all the blood work, EKGs, and X-rays, I was diagnosed with indigestion. I went home thinking I had a diagnosis. The very next morning I woke up with the same pain. After visiting numerous visits to the doctors, I found out that costochondritis was the name.

Comment from: Veronica, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I had, sometimes dull and sharp, pains in my breast for approximately 3 weeks. These pains were off and on during the course of the day. I went to see my doctor to have a breast examination. During the exam she pressed on a certain area of my breast and I felt a pain that was so tender to touch. I was diagnosed with costochondritis and prescribed with Motrin 800mg to take twice a day.

Comment from: lr, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I was diagnosed with costochondritis today. I also went to the ER with chest pain, as I thought I was having a heart attack. The pain was so severe it put my heart in distress and showed up on the EKG. I suffered with this for f4 months. Every test came back negative. My doctor finally referred me to a chiropractor. He told me my ribs were out of place and it was going to take a few months to get better. I am taking ibuprofen and using ice packs. Little by little I am feeling better.

Comment from: Cheri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I am still suffering with costochondritis since last year. I have been on and off prednisone and I get frequent cortisone shots in my sternum. I have also fractured two ribs in my sternum.

Comment from: jo b, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I stared having terrible pain in my chest area after having an echocardiogram. The tech really tried to get in between my ribs even though I kept telling her she was hurting me. After the test, my doctor said my ribs were bruised. This took place in May. I am still suffering. My lung doctor said my sternum was bruised. Knowing now what is wrong helps. I cannot wear bras that have snaps, so I wear loose gym-type bras. I cannot work in my yard without pain.

Must Read Articles Related to Costochondritis

Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective
Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a type of arthritis that involves the spine and the sacroiliac (SI) joints.learn more >>
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Fibromyalgia Fibromyalgia is an illness with no known cause. Symptoms include chronic pain, fatigue, fibrofog (mental haziness), insomnia, headaches, nervousness, numbness, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with costochondritis.

Costochondritis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your costochondritis?