Viewer Comments: Costochondritis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your costochondritis?

Comment from: newlysmom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I went to doc thinking I had stomach problem. After two CT scans, an MRI, and several other tests and ending up in the hospital for gastroenteritis from pain killers and pancreatitis from an allergy to CT scan dye, I finally found a doctor who diagnosed it as costochondritis. He gave me pain patches which have helped greatly.

Comment from: Marlene, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I started with costochondritis at the end of a bout with pleurisy. I went to the emergency room because I thought my lung had collapsed due to the pleurisy that didn't want to go away. I swelled up all along a rib under my armpit to under my left breast. I couldn't draw air into that lung and the pain was horrible! They did an X-ray and EKG, which turned out fine! They said my pleurisy was pretty much cleared up and that I had costochondritis, and is usually caused by stress.

Comment from: mec87, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I was diagnosed with costochondritis today. The doctor put me on mobic for three weeks.

Comment from: TonCopes, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

This is week three since my costochondritis diagnosis. The pain is gradually subsiding but I must say what a scary experience. I literally thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the ER with a sharp pain on the left side of my chest, no fever, low blood pressure, lathergic, and headaches. Apparently it caused by a virus. I stayed in the hospital for three days. Morphine did not help. I also had pain in my back. The pain lasted for two weeks. I had the same pain years ago which only lasted 20 minutes and every now and then a sharp stabbing pain that would take my breath away. While I was in the hospital the pain intensified by merely breathing, sitting up, walking and talking. I'm on the mend now and I'm treating my body like a temple from now on.

Comment from: Leaaaah, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I am 18 years old and for two years now have been suffering with sudden chest pain and finding it hard to breathe, causing me to want to sit down straight away. I went to the doctor and was told it was due to too many carbonated drinks, so I rapidly cut down but it did not stop the "episodes." Going back to a doctor, I was diagnosed with costochondritis and given Ibuprofen 3x a day.

Comment from: kangel, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 11

I also went to the doctor for this same type of pain. I was diagnosed with costochondritis. I told my doctor that the pain seemed worse after I walked (for health purposes) and she told me to get a good support/sports bra to wear during exercise. I did just that and have only had a few episodes since then. So, go exercise ladies, but make sure you don't bounce.

Comment from: cheri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I was diagnosed with costochondritis two months ago. I broke two ribs and cracked my sternum in 2008 in a car accident. Three months ago I re-broke the same two ribs. While recovering from my broken ribs my sternum started to hurt. The pain was building quickly and it was hard to function. I was taking Ibuprofen and painkillers. With the severity of the pain and a possible long term diagnosis of costochondritis I discontinued the painkillers.

Comment from: katie, Female (Caregiver) Published: June 19

My eight year old daughter has just been given this diagnosis. She has been suffering from chest pains for well over a year and every time we've been to the doctor we've been told everything is fine as her chest sounds clear. Finally today I was told it could be costochondritis. I've been advised to give her ibuprofen 3 times a day for two weeks and keep a diary of when she feels the pain. It seems to be when she's doing strenuous exercise. I know it's not a serious condition but it does really distress her and she's had to have quite a bit of time off school because of it. I'll update if the ibuprofen has any effect or not.

Comment from: Costo sufferer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

Ice packs over chest, sternum, shoulders and neck. Sometimes I alternate with a heating pad. Icy Hot topical analgesic, 800mg of ibuprofen and two Extra-Strength Tylenol. I was on a course of Prednisone and as soon as it was time to taper off of them, the pain began to return. I have had this pain off and on for the past two months, and have been laid up on the couch for days at a time.

Must Read Articles Related to Costochondritis

Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective
Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a type of arthritis that involves the spine and the sacroiliac (SI) joints (joints between the lowest end of the spine, called th...learn more >>
Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia Fibromyalgia is an illness with no known cause. Symptoms include chronic pain, fatigue, fibrofog (mental haziness), insomnia, headaches, nervousness, numbness, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with costochondritis?

Costochondritis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your costochondritis?