Viewer Comments: Costochondritis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your costochondritis?

Comment from: Nanny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

About a year ago I started having back spasms and pain in my back, then it started moving around my side, and then to my breast bone. The pain was horrible. I went 5 or 6 times to the emergency room and doctor visits, no one had a clue. I couldn't do anything, not even lie down. I would walk around till the pain was so bad, then I took pain pill, it didn't help much but at least it let me sleep. A friend of mine who is a nurse asked me what was going on and I told her; my symptoms were the same as costochondritis, so I told my doctor and all they could give is Lortab. So today after months of the worst pain gone, it is back little by little. I hate this.

Comment from: srefa, 35-44 (Patient) Published: April 14

I was diagnosed with costochondritis and prescribed with Motrin to take 3 to 4 times a day. I was feeling better. But suddenly after 2 months I am suffering again.

Comment from: veg954, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

The only thing that helped the severe pain of costochondritis was morphine, IV fluids and nothing by mouth for three days. All tests were negative. Another thing that gave me some relief was lying on my stomach with three pillows under the abdomen. So grateful it is finally gone!

Comment from: memaw62, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I believe my most recent occurrence of costochondritis was due to an infection, as it was only finally mitigated by serious antibiotics for an apparent ecoli infection that I may have picked up while traveling to Europe. The infection was apparent from my white blood count that was triple the normal count. The infection may have also caused a bout of diarrhea, which occurred just prior to the onset of severe pain on the left side of my rib cage. I remember having this same pain on several previous occasions. These earlier occurrences may have been due to less serious infections, such as bronchitis, the physical stress of chronic coughing, or even the physical stress associated with severe anxiety. Each time I went to the emergency room for this "chest pain" the doctors immediately went looking for a cardiac situation, which they never found. This last time, I described my "rib cage pain" so as not to trigger the "cardiac" response by the doctor. That worked. He was the one who first diagnosed my costochondritis.

Comment from: Skylark, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I went to the emergency room yesterday for chest pains and was diagnosed as having costochondritis. I was prescribed 50mg Prednisone (Deltasone) - 5 tablets, to take 1 per day. These are steroids. The doctor told me that my rib had a viral infection and that the pain radiated outward from the rib, causing pain in my shoulder and neck. He also prescribed Hydrocodone (Vicodin, Lorcet, Lortab, Norco), to help me sleep. I am in perfect health and take no medications. I had not been sick at all before this condition. Age 62.

Comment from: Bev, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I took Cipro and Levaquin, and am falling apart. I was healthy and now have been diagnosed with costochondritis. I broke my tendons in my arm and Achilles tendon. This type of antibiotic destroys your life. If you've taken these drugs, you will notice a lot of health problems. My life is ruined!

Comment from: iggam, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have not been diagnosed yet but by reading this I think I know what it is. I have had pain in my right rib, just below my breast. It is an ache and sometimes a sharp pain. I have had x-rays, CT and an MRI to see what is wrong. Nothing showed up on anything, but the pain continues. I just now heard about costochondritis. I have had this since I had pneumonia in October 20013. I have other issues with bones, so I have been taking other medications for that. So I will bring this up to my doctor next time I see him. Thank you all for your account of this.

Comment from: Gina f., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I had a quadruple triple bypass 14 months ago. I had on going pain in my chest and left sided pain in my ribs. Thinking it was because of the bypass I thought all would have to get better as time goes by. After my bypass I was discharged from hospital with a gastrointestinal (GI) bleed. I did mention this to the cardiologist but he insisted that it was from the iron tablets. Twelve hours after being discharged I was rushed to another hospital where I had to have a blood transfusion because of the GI bleed. Today I still get chronic pain in my chest and the left side of my body, neck and arm. After being taken to the emergency room several times with all tests being negative I was diagnosed with costochondritis. But, besides the pain which I have every day I cannot take anti-inflammatories because of the GI bleed.

Must Read Articles Related to Costochondritis

Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective
Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a type of arthritis that involves the spine and the sacroiliac (SI) joints.learn more >>
Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia Fibromyalgia is an illness with no known cause. Symptoms include chronic pain, fatigue, fibrofog (mental haziness), insomnia, headaches, nervousness, numbness, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with costochondritis.

Costochondritis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your costochondritis?