Viewer Comments: Costochondritis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your costochondritis?

...
Comment from: Kazza69, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I just searched on YouTube how to fix (most) costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome. There is a part 1 and part 2. I've had costochondritis for 5 years and am now pain free thanks to this guy, it is standard practice in New Zealand and seems to be a mystery condition elsewhere. I purchased the Backpod and have been amazed at the results. It has worked for me so just want to tell as many people as possible who have this awful, painful condition. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Mathieu, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I tried Voltaren Emulgel 2 times a day directly on the sternum area and I found it just makes the sharp pain disappear. It was a great relief for costochondritis.

Comment from: SueB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I dropped from 0.1 to 0.05 mg on my estrogen patch and the costochondritis pain went away within the week. Prior to that I got some relief from posture support straps, not doing too much lifting or strenuous arm activity. NSAIDs were causing me stomach pain so I tried turmeric as a natural remedy and I believe that helped some too.

Comment from: nb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I went to the emergency room with the concern I may be having some heart issue. There I had an EKG, x-ray, and pressure exam on my rib cage. I was told it was costochondritis. The doctor gave me a prescription for Ibuprofen for the inflammation and pain. When I got home, the pain continued so intense I couldn't rest. Finally, I got a heating pad placed it on my chest and soon began to feel some relief. Although the weather is hot, I'm willing to sweat some so I can get the relief from the pain.

Comment from: Lesley T., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I have had chest pain for several years now and have been recently diagnosed with costochondritis after numerous EKGs, echo cardiographs and hospital visits. However I have found a semi-cure or preventive. These past two years I have been lifting weights and building muscle in the chest area. This I found to reduce the chest pain and reduce the duration. I also use or was given lidocaine patches and a topical lotion to help with the pain. Since I have been building the muscle in my chest I noticed the area in which you press down on to agitate the chest pain, has gotten smaller. I hope this helps those who are suffering from this.

Comment from: edurman, Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I developed costochondritis while serving in the Army. After I retired in 2013 it flared up so bad that I could not do anything. I had cortisone shots in my chest, two shots in my neck and shoulder where the pressure points are. I was sick from December until January. My doctor sent me to a pain management specialist. He started giving me intercostal nerve block with a prescription for narcotics. At first I needed the narcotics, but now the medicine from the nerve block kicked in and I have never felt better. I am on my 2nd intercostal nerve blocker. I am back to running again.

Comment from: l, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have costochondritis. I did not realize it at the time that I had gone for my monthly visit to my chiropractor. I was having exactly the same symptoms as everyone else, pain under my rib cage, very tender to touch, and swelling, and was afraid that it could be a heart condition. I have been applying ice on my chest every hour for 10 minutes and it has improved but I must continue with the ice. I have not taken any pain pills or anti-inflammatory medicines. Heat did not work for me, the only medication I took was Tylenol.

Comment from: Lenora, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I was told I have the condition Costochondritis almost two years ago. Bad flare ups will happen when I play sports, overdo it with lifting and other chores such as painting. Other than taking medications for pain and inflammation, what I find helps is not to sleep on the side affected, and try not to sleep on back or stomach. When sleeping on other side prop up your ribs with a pillow this will give them support throughout the night. I don't think it will ever really go away, just need to find ways to minimize the flare ups and pain.

Comment from: Years of this, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I first contracted costochondritis after a nasty bout of pneumonia and coughing heavily. This was in 1991. I have had flare ups ever since. The pain is so taxing I find it hard to concentrate. The only relief I ever found was to drink beer, which made me burp, which relieved the pressure for a short time. Now, I find that my costochondritis is actually worse, Tietze's syndrome. My rib actually swells noticeably. I do find that fatigue brings it on more so than upper body movement. I'm going to try the lidocaine patches now.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Costochondritis

Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective
Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a type of arthritis that involves the spine and the sacroiliac (SI) joints.learn more >>
Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia Fibromyalgia is an illness with no known cause. Symptoms include chronic pain, fatigue, fibrofog (mental haziness), insomnia, headaches, nervousness, numbness, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with costochondritis.

Costochondritis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your costochondritis?