Viewer Comments: Costochondritis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your costochondritis?

Comment from: nb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I went to the emergency room with the concern I may be having some heart issue. There I had an EKG, x-ray, and pressure exam on my rib cage. I was told it was costochondritis. The doctor gave me a prescription for Ibuprofen for the inflammation and pain. When I got home, the pain continued so intense I couldn't rest. Finally, I got a heating pad placed it on my chest and soon began to feel some relief. Although the weather is hot, I'm willing to sweat some so I can get the relief from the pain.

Comment from: Lesley T., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I have had chest pain for several years now and have been recently diagnosed with costochondritis after numerous EKGs, echo cardiographs and hospital visits. However I have found a semi-cure or preventive. These past two years I have been lifting weights and building muscle in the chest area. This I found to reduce the chest pain and reduce the duration. I also use or was given lidocaine patches and a topical lotion to help with the pain. Since I have been building the muscle in my chest I noticed the area in which you press down on to agitate the chest pain, has gotten smaller. I hope this helps those who are suffering from this.

Comment from: edurman, Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I developed costochondritis while serving in the Army. After I retired in 2013 it flared up so bad that I could not do anything. I had cortisone shots in my chest, two shots in my neck and shoulder where the pressure points are. I was sick from December until January. My doctor sent me to a pain management specialist. He started giving me intercostal nerve block with a prescription for narcotics. At first I needed the narcotics, but now the medicine from the nerve block kicked in and I have never felt better. I am on my 2nd intercostal nerve blocker. I am back to running again.

Comment from: l, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have costochondritis. I did not realize it at the time that I had gone for my monthly visit to my chiropractor. I was having exactly the same symptoms as everyone else, pain under my rib cage, very tender to touch, and swelling, and was afraid that it could be a heart condition. I have been applying ice on my chest every hour for 10 minutes and it has improved but I must continue with the ice. I have not taken any pain pills or anti-inflammatory medicines. Heat did not work for me, the only medication I took was Tylenol.

Comment from: Lenora, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I was told I have the condition Costochondritis almost two years ago. Bad flare ups will happen when I play sports, overdo it with lifting and other chores such as painting. Other than taking medications for pain and inflammation, what I find helps is not to sleep on the side affected, and try not to sleep on back or stomach. When sleeping on other side prop up your ribs with a pillow this will give them support throughout the night. I don't think it will ever really go away, just need to find ways to minimize the flare ups and pain.

Comment from: Years of this, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I first contracted costochondritis after a nasty bout of pneumonia and coughing heavily. This was in 1991. I have had flare ups ever since. The pain is so taxing I find it hard to concentrate. The only relief I ever found was to drink beer, which made me burp, which relieved the pressure for a short time. Now, I find that my costochondritis is actually worse, Tietze's syndrome. My rib actually swells noticeably. I do find that fatigue brings it on more so than upper body movement. I'm going to try the lidocaine patches now.

Comment from: Kelly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I've suffered with costochondritis since I was about 10 years old. I've had mild attacks and I've had attacks where I've blacked out from the pain. I also get dizzy and have blurred vision with my pains. Over the years my best help has been rest, immobilization of my left arm, massages and also the help of breathing rubs such as Vicks and other oils, etc. This time I'm in my 30s and it's now been 6 weeks of this occurring on and off, together with inflammation in my neck and shoulders. I've been put on steroids and painkillers, but they don't seem to be helping much. I hope this goes away soon as it is greatly affecting my daily life and that of my family.

Comment from: Mazry, Female (Patient) Published: July 25

For the past few weeks I have been experiencing what I have been calling chest pains. I would grip under my left breast at the top ribs and hold my breath until the pain went away. The pain would come and go often throughout the day. Sometimes staying longer than the last "episode". It was also causing me to have panic attacks as I was convinced that I was having a heart attack. I went to the doctor and they did an EKG and all was normal. She gave me an antidepressant and sent me home. Not being sure about my health care visit and the lack of an official diagnosis I continued to panic and feel as if I was going to have heart attack or stroke. One night I was home alone and I felt the pain and I then went in to a full blown panic attack and called my brother to take me to the ER. I was convinced I was dying. My left arm went numb, hard, and cold. I didn't just think I was dying- I KNEW I WAS DYING. I went to the ER. I actually felt better and wanted to leave the waiting room and go home as the pain had subsided. But I knew I needed to stay and figure this out. They did a CAT scan and there were no blood clots and everything looked fine in there. No Pneumonia, no collapsed lung, nothing. Even the rib that was extremely sore was just fine. They then diagnosed me with costochondritis. I left feeling much better knowing that my heart was good and I was not knocking on heaven's door. I have been treating myself with a heating pad on my back as I feel some pain in my back now. I have been taking Advil as I cannot take steroids. It has been 2 days since the ER and since I started treating myself with anti inflammatory. So I am still having these pains.

Must Read Articles Related to Costochondritis

Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective
Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatologic Perspective Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a type of arthritis that involves the spine and the sacroiliac (SI) joints.learn more >>
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Fibromyalgia Fibromyalgia is an illness with no known cause. Symptoms include chronic pain, fatigue, fibrofog (mental haziness), insomnia, headaches, nervousness, numbness, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis:

Costochondritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with costochondritis.

Costochondritis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your costochondritis?