Crohn Disease FAQs (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
What causes Crohn's disease?
We do not know what causes the abnormal inflammation in the digestive tract. Experts believe that it is caused by an unknown triggering event in susceptible people. We do not know what makes a person susceptible, except that about 20% to 30% of people with Crohn's disease have relatives with the disease - in other words, Crohn's disease runs in the family. In the other 70% to 80% of cases, there is no family connection. There is no evidence that stress or diet causes Crohn's disease - although these factors can make the symptoms worse.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/24/2015
Sandeep Mukherjee, MD, MB, BCh
Simmy Bank, MD, MB, ChB
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
BS Anand, MD
Venkatachala Mohan, MD
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Must Read Articles Related to Crohn Disease FAQs
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Crohn's Disease FAQs:
Crohn's Disease FAQs - Symptoms
What symptoms and signs have you experienced with Crohn's disease?
Crohn's Disease FAQs - Experience
Please describe your experience with Crohn's disease.
Crohn's Disease FAQs - Treatments
What treatments have been effective in treating Crohn's disease?
Crohn's Disease FAQs - Outlook
What is the prognosis for your case of Crohn's disease?
Crohn's Disease FAQs - Permanent Symptoms
What permanent symptoms have you experienced with Crohn's disease?
Crohn's Disease Resources
- Are You Getting Enough Vitamin B12?
- Creating a Crohn's Disease Diet Plan
- How Much Do You Know About Crohn's Disease?