Crohn Disease FAQs (cont.)
Kathryn L Hale, MS, PA-C
Sandeep Mukherjee, MD, MB, BCh
Simmy Bank, MD, MB, ChB
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
BS Anand, MD
IN THIS ARTICLE
What Causes Crohn's Disease?
We do not know what causes the abnormal inflammation in the digestive tract. Experts believe that it is caused by an unknown triggering event in susceptible people. We do not know what makes a person susceptible, except that about 20%-30% of people with Crohn's disease have relatives with the disease—in other words, Crohn's disease runs in the family. In the other 70%-80% of cases, there is no family connection. There is no evidence that stress or what you eat causes Crohn's disease—although these factors can make the symptoms worse.
Must Read Articles Related to Crohn Disease FAQs
Find out what women really need.
Read What Your Physician is Reading on Medscape
Pill Identifier on RxList
- quick, easy,
Find a Local Pharmacy
- including 24 hour, pharmacies