Viewer Comments: Croup - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Croup:

Croup - Symptoms

What symptoms did you or your child experience with croup?

Comment from: Jtmom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 06

My son gets the croup several times a year. He doesn't have asthma, but does get some allergies. This last time was the first time we had to call 911. I have steroid pills the doctor gave us that I give him the second he wakes up with it to reduce the inflammation also.

Comment from: 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 30

A "barking cough" and fever.

Comment from: Healthcare Mom, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 19

Both of my children have asthma and it can be frightening. My daughter gets croup at three times a year. When the weather is in the high 30s or low 40s she'll tend to wake around 11:30pm with a barking cough.

Comment from: worried mom, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 24

My 5 year old son has had croup so many times I can't even tell you when the last time he was well. We have been hospitalized for this and at that time ENT got involved and we found out he has a swallowing problem and required thickened liquids and we also found out he had a cleft palate. We were told a simple gel foam procedure would fix this.

Published: December 27

My son has had croup twice in his life, the first time he was about 6 months old, he woke up with a barking cough, trouble breathing and a fever, however; my son is also asthmatic so he was hospitalized for five days. He had to sleep in a tinted crib that had a constant mist flowing through. He pulled through and was fine. Just two days ago my son woke up with that barking cough again. He is now eight years old, and still very much asthmatic.

Comment from: Jo, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 17

My daughter is seven months old and this is my first child. I never knew such thing as croup. My daughter went to sleep and woke up coughing. She sounded like a seal and was wheezing I was afraid she was under the weather since right here in California is super hot during the day and at night is cold. Well she wasn't getting any better I took her to the emergency and I was told she had croup and they gave her a shot. It seems she is a bit better and she stopped wheezing but she is still very uncomfortable. I hope she gets better soon.

Comment from: Km, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 13

My daughter went to bed fine woke up about 11 pm with a barking cough, wheezing, and could hardly speak. Called the advice nurse and she said it was croup.

Comment from: blackmanbetty, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 29

It was 11:00pm at night Reagan was asleep. She woke up and started coughing. The sound was shocking my child was barking. The sound was like a dog bark or seal like. It subsidies but she appeared not to be able to catch her breath. I placed her over the air-conditioning vent it helped for the moment. She had no fever however she did swim at the beach the day before with family. She was taken to emergency room and was treated all is well

Comment from: ama, Published: April 05

When my son had croup, he had a “barking” cough, runny nose, and fever.

Comment from: elsuna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

My child experience hoarse cough when he was diagnosed with croup. Doctors gave him a shot and an inhalation treatment.

Must Read Articles Related to Croup

Epiglottitis
Epiglottitis Epiglottitis a medical emergency and death may result if not treated promptly. Causes of epiglottitis include infectious, traumatic, and chemical agents. Sympto...learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>

Parenting Know-How: We've hand-picked our best pregnancy, baby and parenting content just for you