Viewer Comments: CT Scan - Helped With Your Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography):

CT Scan - Helped With Your Diagnosis

Please describe how a CT Scan has helped in your diagnosis.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I went to my doctor with lower abdominal and back pain. I had pains in my right side. He ordered blood work and a CT scan of my abdominal. It turned out I had a large gall stone. I was a little scared about the CT scan because I had previously had an MRI for another issue and found that experience scary and loud, but the CT scan was much quieter and you are not enclosed in that tunnel. Now I will probably have my gall bladder removed and feel much better. Thanks to the CT Scan. The technician was very nice and explained exactly what I would feel with the contrast injection. (a radiating heat from head to toe, very weird feeling) She helped me breath through that feeling and was even able to tell me how long it would last (less than a couple of minutes.

Comment from: CAT SCAN, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

hello there myI once had a cat scan. I was very scared because I never had one before, but I must say that from the moment I walked into the hospital the doctors made me feel very safe in there care it was even the first time I had ever been to the hospital other then when I was born. The reason why I had to get a CT SCAN was because I had very bad lower cramps and at the time I was on my cycle. The first thing they did was give me an IV for a while then I had to drink contrast to light up my organs. I had to go into the room for the scan. There was a very nice doctor there who really made me feel calm because I did not know what was going on. All I knew was that it was a CAT SCAN after I had the SCAN they sent me back to the room to wait for results to come back. I started to get very bored because I was missing my family, friends, and my boyfriend. After a while the results came back in. Come to find out there was no problem going on with my body. I was just having very bad pain my doctor told me not to eat so much of spicy food for while and after that I had to wait for my discharge, so that I could go home after every thing was over. I felt so happy that nothing bad was going wrong! So I would like to send my thanks out to the hospital and all of the doctors who help me over come my fear about coming to the hospital for the first time and I also want to thank this web site for letting me share my experience of having a CT SCAN.

Comment from: heartbroken, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I went to one of the hospitals in our area because of side pain 4 times. This was within a year with the same diagnosis hairline fracture of the rib, they took an x-ray and sent me home with pain killers. I decided to go to the other hospital because they don't ask for insurance until after you are released told them of symptoms now weakness in legs and headaches had developed as well. They did a CT scan. I had cancer, but at this point it had gone to stage 4 as it moved from my lung to my brain. I had swelling on my brain and had to have a shunt put in and only1 tumor removed at the base of the cerebrum. I can't walk well see well 50-50 chance of surviving a year. I have six children and no insurance. Always get a second opinion.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I was admitted to Butler Memorial Hospital in November of 2007 to have surgery for my ovarian cyst. They did a CT scan of my stomach and they found out that the cyst was 7 cm. That's how the CT scan helped me.

Comment from: Sunila, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 06

A patient fell down on the floor but no one had seen her fall. In order to find the reason why the fall occurred the doctor ordered a CT scan of the head. They found that there was hematoma in the right temporal area and contusion in the right tempral lobe. The patient was unable to tell why she fell. This proved that she first fell and then the injury occurred in the brain. The prognosis was that the hematoma and the contusion would cure. Some drugs to prevent epileptic fits were given. A repeat of the CT scan after three days proved that the contusion was getting better. The patient showed considerable improvement in recognition and speech clarity. She started eating well and is now on the path to recovery.

Comment from: cory, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 18

I had a CT done today and the lady that injected the contrast went through the vein and it went under my skin. Now a few hours after the scan my arm has swelled to twice the size around the injection site and around my elbow.

Must Read Articles Related to CT Scan

Bronchial Adenoma
Bronchial Adenoma The term bronchial adenoma describes a diverse group of tumors arising from mucous glands and ducts of the trachea (windpipe) or bronchi (large airways of the l...learn more >>
Facial Fracture
Facial Fracture A fracture is a broken bone. Facial fracture refers to any injury that results in a broken bone or bones of the face. Symptoms of a facial fracture depend on wh...learn more >>
Head Injury (Brain Injury)
Head Injury Head injury is a general term used to describe any trauma to the head, and most specifically to the brain itself. Several types of head injuries may occur such ...learn more >>

CT Scan - Experience

Please describe your experience with CT Scan.

CT Scan - Why Performed

Why was your CT scan performed?