Viewer Comments: Cyanide Poisoning - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cyanide Poisoning:

Cyanide Poisoning - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of cyanide poisoning you or someone you know?

Comment from: coolboot, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I am an 84 year old male in relatively good health but suspected of prostate cancer. I tried bitter apricot seeds as preventive treatment. I chewed 4 seeds after dinner around 10 pm and retired at midnight. At 3 am I was startled awake with headache, abdominal pain, and acute nausea. Taste of bitter almonds was present in my mouth for a week after. I upchucked twice in an hour what appeared to be remains of the apricot seeds. My body was rejecting the seeds. I was unable to go back to sleep and spent the day in pain with headache, nausea and no appetite. I was unable to sleep next night, got dressed at 5 am and took cab to the emergency room where they ran a CT scan. They found a mass in my lower stomach, and I was told and they wanted to biopsy for cancer. I told them I had food poisoning, not cancer; cyanide in apricot seeds. They focused on cancer. For 3 days and nights I writhed in hospital bed with pain, nausea, headache, unable to sleep or eat. Sipping a little water was best I could do. They put me on a drip saline solution and pain reliever. By the time four days had elapsed, the pain had mostly subsided, and I could tell I was getting back to normal; that night they released me with no diagnosis but instructions to check in with primary care for outpatient follow up. I think I will never eat bitter apricot seeds again!

Comment from: Linda T., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

My antidepressant drugs were switched to cyanide pills without me knowing that they were switched. I was taken to the Emergency Room unconscious.

Comment from: tenorlass, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

My 6-month-old baby brother died from cyanide gas. It had been used to fumigate our house. I had just turned 3 and my sister was 7, and I think we have been affected medically about this event that happened in 1946. We both have lung conditions, and we both had to be resuscitated after the house had been fumigated in 1946.

Must Read Articles Related to Cyanide Poisoning

Coma Coma is a state of unconsciousness in which the pati...learn more >>
Seizures Emergencies
Seizures Emergencies Seizures refer to uncontrolled electrical activity in the brain. Symptoms of seizures range from mild to severe and can lead to death. A number of factors can l...learn more >>
Smoke Inhalation
Smoke Inhalation The number one cause of death related to fires is smoke inhalation. An estimated 50-80% of fire deaths are the result of smoke inhalation injuries rather than b...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cyanide Poisoning:

Cyanide Poisoning - Causes

What was the cause of your or a friends case of cyanide poisoning?

Cyanide Poisoning - Treatment

How was your case of cyanide poisoning treated?