What Are Symptoms and Signs of a Cyst?
- Small cysts or cysts in internal structures of the body may not produce symptoms.
- Cysts in the skin or in tissues just beneath the skin may be recognized as painless lumps or bumps.
- Cysts which can be felt may be hard or soft.
- Sometimes it is possible to notice an increase in size of a cyst while in other cases, the size will remain constant.
- It is often not possible to distinguish a cyst from some other cause of tissue swelling simply by physical examination.
- If cysts arise due to a serious infection, tumor, or chronic disease, the symptoms depend on the location, type, and extent of the disease.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 5/18/2016
Must Read Articles Related to Cyst
The Bartholin's glands are located at the entrance to a woman's vagina, one on each side. They are small and cannot be seen or felt when they are normal. A Bart...learn more >>
Endometriosis is a common disorder of the female reproductive organs and is the leading cause of chronic pelvic pain in women. Examples of causes of endometrios...learn more >>
Breast Lumps and Pain
Breast changes are common. From the time a girl be...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cyst (Cysts):