Viewer Comments: Cysts - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cyst (Cysts):

Cysts - Effective Treatments

What were the treatments for your Cysts?

So far, I've had nine cysts in the past nine years. Some went away with just packing them. Four had to be surgically removed. Each had to be reopened because they'd flare up, drain again, and not heal. The doctors are clueless as to why I get them and why they don't want to heal. The drainage is a creamy off-white liquid and the blood is sticky and there's no odor. Lab results show nothing unusual. I've been tested for everything in an attempt to find an answer. I constantly wear bandages because of the continual drainage. Right now, both arms are bandaged. They erupt every two to three days. So far, my diagnosis has been sebaceous cysts.

I have a sebaceous cyst tucked in behind my right ear. I have had it lanced before but now two years later it has recurred. I also have three cysts up to the size of a golf ball on my chest. The one behind my ear is very painful when it flares up and when it bursts there is this whitish brown liquid and some semi-hard white stuff and sometimes really dark blood, that I think is infected.

Comment from: S.Marks, 65-74 Female Published: December 14

I had a sebaceous cyst removed from my breast in June.

Comment from: bhardi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

My cyst is behind my left ear. I have had it lanced 19 times and surgery twice. My doctor described mine to be like a tree root in that each time it came up, it would be like a stump sprouting another root. The last time it came up the infection was the consistency of a pencil eraser. It has been several years since I have had a problem with it. The doctor is hoping I have enough scar tissue built up that it won't have room to grow again. I sometimes have deep pains shoot through but that's about it for that area.

Comment from: Maureen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I have been following quite a handful of cysts internally. They were found at the time I had both an endoscopy and colonoscopy. Two were on spleen and have not changed in three years. Two were on one ovary and seemed to have gone away, but showed up in fallopian tubes briefly then just as fluid in tubes. I had the largest cysts on my kidneys but it has not presented any problems. Both sides of my family had quite a few cysts both externally and internally, but never were malignant. Just wondering if anyone knows why we get them, and how to check for them other than the above two exams. Gets to be costly. Thanks.

Must Read Articles Related to Cyst

Bartholin Cyst
Bartholin Cyst The Bartholin's glands are located at the entrance to a woman's vagina, one on each side. They are small and cannot be seen or felt when they are normal. Their ...learn more >>
Breast Lumps and Pain
Breast Lumps and Pain Breast changes are common. From the time a girl begins to develop breasts and begins menstruating and throughout life, women may experience various kinds of bre...learn more >>
Endometriosis
Endometriosis Endometriosis is a common disorder of the female reproductive organs and is the leading cause of chronic pelvic pain in women. Examples of causes of endometrios...learn more >>