- Depending on the type of procedure being performed, your doctor may prescribe antibiotics for you.
- If the cystoscopy is going to be performed in the operating room with the use of anesthesia, the surgical department will contact you with instructions.
- Most of the time, you must not take anything by mouth after midnight the evening before the cystoscopy. In recent years, however, some anesthesiologists have started to allow the consumption of certain liquids up to 4 hours before the procedure.
- For procedures being done with only a local anesthetic, no fasting requirement is necessary.
- Notify your doctor if you are taking any blood thinners, including warfarin (Coumadin), aspirin, and ibuprofen.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/11/2015
Scott H Plantz, MD, FAAEM
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
Must Read Articles Related to Cystoscopy
Bladder cancer originates within the bladder. Though there are several types of bladder cancer, cancer is most likey to develop in the interior lining of the bl...learn more >>
Blood in the Urine (Hematuria)
Blood in the urine (hematuria) can be associated with many conditions, some of which can be dangerous. Causes of blood in the urine include kidney stones, kidne...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cystoscopy: