Font Size

Dandruff (cont.)

When to Seek Medical Care

If dandruff is worsening (spreading, causing hair loss, increasing redness, painful, or infected) despite proper skin care and hair hygiene, call a dermatologist for an office appointment.

Dandruff is not a medical emergency and should not be handled in a hospital emergency department; call a pediatrician, family physician, internist, or dermatologist for a consultation.

If an individual is so uncomfortable with his/her dandruff that his/her social, sleep, work, or other daily activities are disrupted, he/she needs a more effective treatment and should see a health care practitioner.

Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 8/13/2015

Patient Comments & Reviews

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dandruff (Seborrhea):

Dandruff - Experience

Please describe your experience with dandruff.

Dandruff - Treatment

What was the treatment for your dandruff?

Read What Your Physician is Reading on Medscape

Seborrheic Dermatitis »

Seborrheic dermatitis is a papulosquamous disorder patterned on the sebum-rich areas of the scalp, face, and trunk.

Read More on Medscape Reference »

Medical Dictionary