Viewer Comments: Dehydration (Adults) - Causes and Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dehydration (Adults):

Dehydration (Adults) - Causes and Treatment

What was the cause of your dehydration and how was it treated?

Comment from: Nikki, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 04

My mother was brought to ER because she was dehydrated, they kept her over night and put on a IV of liquids.

Comment from: Txgal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I had to have my colon removed due to ulcerative colitis. Diet and meds control how often I have a bowel movement but I always have diarrhea. Dehydration is a real problem for me and I've been hospitalized several times for it. My symptoms were lightheadedness, shortness of breath, rapid heart rate, muscle cramps, extreme tiredness, loss of appetite and weight loss. In the hospital IV fluids, magnesium and salt tablets got me back in order.

Comment from: Article 15, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

Besides being administered an IV, lying in a bathtub of water and sipping a cool glass of water is the fastest way to hydrate yourself. When you experience dehydration, your body temperature rises and your skin becomes dry. From personal experience of spending 39 months in Iraq, I never had a bathtub for my convenience so I'd soak myself with water and I'd sit in a shaded area and sip on cool water. It never failed me.

Comment from: Barb, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have had dehydration several times. My physician has told me to drink large amounts of sports drinks, which have magnesium, when I have symptoms. Also, he has prescribed 250mg of magnesium each day for me.

Must Read Articles Related to Dehydration in Adults

Dehydration in Children
Dehydration in Children Dehydration in children can result from not drinking enough liquids, vomiting, diarrhea, or combination of these conditions. Causes of dehydration in children i...learn more >>
Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu)
Gastroenteritis Gastroenteritis (stomach flu) is most commonly caused by viruses and bacteria like rotavirus, adenovirus, parvovirus, and astrovirus. Bacteria causing gastroent...learn more >>
Giardiasis
Giardiasis Giardiasis is an infection of the small bowel caused by Giardia lamblia. It is the most common intestinal parasitic disease in the U.S. Causes of giardiasis inc...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dehydration (Adults):

Dehydration (Adults) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your dehydration?

Find Your Best Self: Discover new ways to live an inspiring life through beauty, diet, and fitness ideas.