Dementia Due to HIV Infection (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
Highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), which is effective in controlling HIV infection, also protects many HIV-positive people from developing AIDS dementia complex. In some cases, HAART can partially or completely reduce symptoms of ADC.
No specific treatment is available for cognitive decline in AIDS. Specific symptoms such as depression and behavioral disturbances are sometimes relieved by drug therapy.
Florian P Thomas, MD, MA, PhD
Nestor Galvez-Jimenez, MD
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
Helmi L Lutsep, MD
Must Read Articles Related to Dementia Due to HIV Infection
Resources for Staying Well
- HIV-AIDS: Myths and Facts
- Understanding The Symptoms of AIDS/HIV
- The Top 10 Myths and Misconceptions About HIV and AIDS
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?