Viewer Comments: Dementia Overview - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dementia:

Dementia Overview - Symptoms

What are the symptoms of your dementia?

Comment from: INPOGod, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 21

I wish to offer encouragement. My own hubby is exhibiting signs of dementia and we have our first appt. with a Neurologist on the 28th of October 2011. At present I do experience frustration, futility, anger at times but thank God not for long. I personally have a strong faith and faith background. I rely heavily upon God. That is the encouragement I offer. I know poor hubby is not sure what is going on. He has trouble getting words out. He has been an IDDM for 40 plus years, Hypothyroidism and pernicious anemia for 40 plus years also. He fell and broke his elbow and hip this year. Last year he had a stroke. His mobility is less and less. He is under doctor's care, Primary, Heart, Physical Therapy and now soon the Neurologist. I am healthy as a horse and so far, handling it the best I can. Good luck to everyone and prayers, too.

Comment from: Arleeda, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

Husband has what was first diagnosed as alcohol related dementia, although his B1 was fine. He quit drinking but that didn't help. Now he has double vision and is losing depth perception, so he can't drive. He walks much more slowly than he used to and has lost muscle mass. When I am gone for more than a few days for my job he doesn't eat or hydrate enough and on two occasions has become delusional, thinking people are in our kitchen and he has to hide his wallet and passport--then forgets where he hides it. Used to be a master point bridge player and now cannot arrange cards. Can't focus on game either. He has passed initial neurologist's screen that it is not Alzheimer's.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 27

My wife has dementia. Her vital signs are good. Problem - she is extremely weak. She is under physicians care.

Comment from: Sandr, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 12

My husband starting having seizures two years ago we had several test done including CT scans, MRIs, etc. I had stated at that he constantly repeats asking the same thing over and at times seems not there. When they received the results it showed atrophy of the brain and the word dementia was brought up at the time I was more concerned about the seizures and we saw a neurologist who has put him on medication. He is having more symptoms of memory loss such as he forgot how to cook his favorite meal and had to ask me if he used water to cook steamers which he has cooked many times. He is forgetting people's names and he mailed out a bill the other day to the wrong person. He has always handled his finances and never made a mistake in his check book .

Comment from: mac the floor guy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 02

My wife has had dementia for 2 years and 3 months. Her condition came on within one week of falling on an icy sidewalk. The employer's workers comp clinic ignored my requests to check her out completely and treated only her broken wrist. A co worker in charge of medical referrals told her that she couldn't get an MRI. My wife complained the night that she fell that her hip, shoulder and neck all hurt worse than her wrist, but the clinic didn't examine any of those areas. Within ONE WEEK of the fall, she exhibited symptoms of dementia, including inability to use a debit card at a store, signing her name in the wrong place on a medical form and roughly 3 weeks later, she could no longer prepare meals at home, do laundry, etc and was having trouble finishing sentences, etc.

Comment from: basia, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 22

My mom exhibited inappropriate behavior such as trying to get out of my moving vehicle when I asked her the simplest questions. Mom barricaded herself in her home for five days and did not answer the phone, door bell or door knocking - I had five sleepless nights and finally called the paramedics and then police to remove her from her home - she was not eating or drinking fluids and was taken to the hospital and later placed in a facility.

Comment from: Sandra, 75 or over Female Published: June 23

My mother has Parkinson/Lewy Body Dementia. She hears people all the time and believes everything these voices tell her. She gets angry if we tell her she can't talk to people through the "air waves" and she is always saying someone is hurt, dying, molested etc. She says nasty things about some of her grandchildren and thinks one is stealing her money from her account, tried to close her checking account. She is always accusing one of us of taking her purse. She has started falling more and isn't going to the bathroom and taking care of herself like she use to. The voices were so bad she called the police several times because she thought a certain woman was trying to kill her. She lives with my sister but it's getting to be too much for her and we are now looking into nursing homes. She has always been a negative person and always right about everything and it is more noticeable now that she has dementia. She has lost interest in doing puzzles or even asking how we are and what's going on in our life. Every time she thinks someone is hurt or has stolen the baby, we have to call that person and let them talk to Mom to assure her that no one is hurt, after a few minutes it starts again. I think the voices will be the death of her someday because she gets so upset when she thinks someone has hurt the baby or stolen the baby.

Must Read Articles Related to Dementia Overview

Alzheimer's Disease
Alzheimer Disease Alzheimer's disease (AD) is the most common cause of dementia in industrialized nations. Dementia is a brain disorder that interferes with a person's ability to...learn more >>
Alzheimer's Disease Facts
Alzheimer's Disease FAQs Alzheimer's disease is a fatal brain disorder. Familial and sporadic are the two types of Alzheimer's disease. The three stages include early, intermediate, and...learn more >>
Alzheimer's Disease Symptoms
Alzheimer's Disease Stages: Symptoms and Signs Alzheimer's disease is one of the many causes of dementia. Symptoms of Alzheimer's disease typically progress over a period of years. There are warning signs of...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dementia:

Dementia - Medications

What medications are you taking for dementia? Are they helping?

Dementia - Test

What kind of tests did you have to diagnose dementia?

Dementia - Treatment

What kind of treatment are you receiving for dementia?