Viewer Comments: Dental Abscess - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Symptoms

What were symptoms and signs of your dental abscess?

Comment from: dkr, 25-34 (Patient) Published: June 24

I had two broken teeth at the back of my mouth. I kept treating myself with painkillers. One day I woke up with a swollen face. I went to the dentist who said I had an abscess that had started with the root of the broken tooth. He took out both teeth and drained the abscess and then sent me away with antibiotics.

Comment from: kellie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had toothache for a week now finally went to the dentist yesterday because my face was starting to swell up. I have an abscess in my tooth and had a root canal done. I woke up this morning and my face is even more swollen and my eye is nearly closing.

Comment from: Merlynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

First I had the feeling that something was in my ears. I had a bad salty taste in my mouth. Then I developed an earache. My tooth felt tender with some pain once in a while. I went to my dentist and had X-rays done and found that I needed a root canal. I never knew that a bad salty taste in your mouth was a symptom of a dental abscess or I would have sought dental care sooner.

Comment from: lizzy, Female (Patient) Published: May 22

Last Friday that I had toothache that made me unbearable, so went to see the dentist in an emergency. I had an X-Ray and found out that one of the teeth under the gold crown had abscessed. The dentist prescribed me some antibiotics. I found myself with a swollen jaw and unable to sleep. Then, yesterday I went back to the dentist and had the gold crown removed and let the abscess drain. I have to go back to the dentist in two weeks' time to check the progress. Last night I finally had a good night of sleep.

Comment from: RobinW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I had on and off sensitivity to cold for about a year then a full blown painful toothache. The tooth affected was a virgin tooth. now I am having same symptoms on same tooth on the opposite side.

Comment from: Cindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have had a LOT ($100,000) of dental work over 40 years due to an immune disease. For two years I had a bump in my mouth above an upper tooth on the right. After asking several dentists of one type or another to check it out, and one finally did and discovered it was an abscess. My symptoms starting 10 months before and included extreme naps for 3-5 hours every day! I had continuous nose bleeds and mucus, a sinus infection, and sweating. I had no oral pain for 23 of the 24 months I had the abscess - until it finally was getting a little tender. The good news once it was opened up, I am well and back on track. Thank you to the doctor who helped me.

Comment from: Lollie, 55-64 Female Published: June 08

I had severe pain and swelling of my lower jaw.

Comment from: pris, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I have had this abscess for long time. Now it's located on my jaw due to a cavity infection. Dental care is so expensive, but I'm so scared because I have no way out. I just don't want it to escalate to anything else. I have no pain, but I worry when I feel the ball. I'm also embarrassed to go to a dentist due to the foul smell they say when you have with an abscess.

Comment from: firstjack, (Patient) Published: January 23

Two weeks before Christmas I bit down on a piece of food and the pain lifted me out of my chair. I ignored it, do not have dental insurance and money was tight. Now the second week of Jan I could barely eat. It was one of my premolars that was giving me the pain and the pain was spreading up to my sinus and back towards my ear. My dentist, when I could get in, tapped my tooth, I almost punched him. Then he took a x-ray. It was abscessed and because to lack of good tooth we decided I should have it taken out. On antibiotics and pain meds and it is getting worse.

Comment from: Mia, Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a toothache on a lower tooth that had been broken off previously due to biting down on a piece of hard candy. The tooth later became infected and the gums around the tooth swelled about three times the normal size, pus collected near the tooth, and the pain was severe. I treated it at home with ibuprofen and warm water rinses but this did nothing to relieve the pain or to make the infection go away. After three days, I was physically ill with fevers, cold chills, vomiting, extremely tired, and constantly feeling sick to my stomach. After visiting the dentist, he prescribed an antibiotic and pain pills, but it was several days before the fevers, chills, and vomiting went away.

Must Read Articles Related to Dental Abscess

Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to ...learn more >>
Toothache Toothache or tooth pain is caused when the nerve root of a tooth is irritated. Dental (tooth) infection, decay, injury, or loss of a tooth are the most common c...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Treatment

What was the treatment for your dental abscess?

Dental Abscess - Experience

Please describe your experience with dental abscess.