Viewer Comments: Dental Abscess - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Symptoms

What were symptoms and signs of your dental abscess?

Comment from: Cindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have had a LOT ($100,000) of dental work over 40 years due to an immune disease. For two years I had a bump in my mouth above an upper tooth on the right. After asking several dentists of one type or another to check it out, and one finally did and discovered it was an abscess. My symptoms starting 10 months before and included extreme naps for 3-5 hours every day! I had continuous nose bleeds and mucus, a sinus infection, and sweating. I had no oral pain for 23 of the 24 months I had the abscess - until it finally was getting a little tender. The good news once it was opened up, I am well and back on track. Thank you to the doctor who helped me.

Comment from: Lollie, 55-64 Female Published: June 08

I had severe pain and swelling of my lower jaw.

Comment from: pris, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I have had this abscess for long time. Now it's located on my jaw due to a cavity infection. Dental care is so expensive, but I'm so scared because I have no way out. I just don't want it to escalate to anything else. I have no pain, but I worry when I feel the ball. I'm also embarrassed to go to a dentist due to the foul smell they say when you have with an abscess.

Comment from: firstjack, (Patient) Published: January 23

Two weeks before Christmas I bit down on a piece of food and the pain lifted me out of my chair. I ignored it, do not have dental insurance and money was tight. Now the second week of Jan I could barely eat. It was one of my premolars that was giving me the pain and the pain was spreading up to my sinus and back towards my ear. My dentist, when I could get in, tapped my tooth, I almost punched him. Then he took a x-ray. It was abscessed and because to lack of good tooth we decided I should have it taken out. On antibiotics and pain meds and it is getting worse.

Comment from: Mia, Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a toothache on a lower tooth that had been broken off previously due to biting down on a piece of hard candy. The tooth later became infected and the gums around the tooth swelled about three times the normal size, pus collected near the tooth, and the pain was severe. I treated it at home with ibuprofen and warm water rinses but this did nothing to relieve the pain or to make the infection go away. After three days, I was physically ill with fevers, cold chills, vomiting, extremely tired, and constantly feeling sick to my stomach. After visiting the dentist, he prescribed an antibiotic and pain pills, but it was several days before the fevers, chills, and vomiting went away.

Comment from: ish, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I had a crown placed on a front tooth about a year ago. It felt weird within a month of that, there was an awkward pressure when I touched my face above that tooth. The dentist said not to worry. Now about 2 weeks ago, I woke up with the entire front row of teeth sore. Within a day or two the pain was completely unbearable. No amount of OTC drugs relieved it. I was losing sleep and missing work, it's been some of the most intense pain I've ever experienced. I got an emergency appointment at the dentist and they gave me antibiotics and scheduled a root canal 10 days later. Even the narcotic pain relievers I was prescribed can't completely stop the pain. I believe they'll do the root canal through the crown. If that doesn't solve it completely, I'm sure extraction is the only option. Never put off those random dental pains. If your dentist tries to dismiss it, get a second opinion. You never know what may develop.

Comment from: Carrier, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

For 6 weeks I've had an infection on the gum by a tooth that has a root canal. I've rinsed with hydrogen peroxide and salt water. I've had two rounds of antibiotics -large doses. It's still infected and my dentist says we'll have to pull the tooth in order for it to heal. I'm apprehensive and I think my dentist needed to see if he missed something, so he referred me to another dentist.

Comment from: Blake, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

My symptoms of dental abscess included high fever, swelling of the gums, and tenderness.

Comment from: simul, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I had gum abscess and the dentist decided to have my tooth extracted. It was then successfully done, but the problem is I still experience having a swollen face each time I do hard work or even just lifting weights. It's exactly the same when the tooth wasn't extracted...I feel like the abscess has gone through the inner gum already...

Must Read Articles Related to Dental Abscess

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Toothache
Toothache Toothache or tooth pain is caused when the nerve root of a tooth is irritated. Dental (tooth) infection, decay, injury, or loss of a tooth are the most common c...learn more >>
When to Visit the Dentist
When to Visit the Dentist Most symptoms and problems that occur with your mouth, teeth, and gums are not emergencies and usually can wait for an appointment with your dentist. The inform...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Treatment

What was the treatment for your dental abscess?

Dental Abscess - Experience

Please describe your experience with dental abscess.