Viewer Comments: Dental Abscess - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Symptoms

What were symptoms and signs of your dental abscess?

Comment from: ish, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I had a crown placed on a front tooth about a year ago. It felt weird within a month of that, there was an awkward pressure when I touched my face above that tooth. The dentist said not to worry. Now about 2 weeks ago, I woke up with the entire front row of teeth sore. Within a day or two the pain was completely unbearable. No amount of OTC drugs relieved it. I was losing sleep and missing work, it's been some of the most intense pain I've ever experienced. I got an emergency appointment at the dentist and they gave me antibiotics and scheduled a root canal 10 days later. Even the narcotic pain relievers I was prescribed can't completely stop the pain. I believe they'll do the root canal through the crown. If that doesn't solve it completely, I'm sure extraction is the only option. Never put off those random dental pains. If your dentist tries to dismiss it, get a second opinion. You never know what may develop.

Comment from: Carrier, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

For 6 weeks I've had an infection on the gum by a tooth that has a root canal. I've rinsed with hydrogen peroxide and salt water. I've had two rounds of antibiotics -large doses. It's still infected and my dentist says we'll have to pull the tooth in order for it to heal. I'm apprehensive and I think my dentist needed to see if he missed something, so he referred me to another dentist.

Comment from: Blake, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

My symptoms of dental abscess included high fever, swelling of the gums, and tenderness.

Comment from: simul, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I had gum abscess and the dentist decided to have my tooth extracted. It was then successfully done, but the problem is I still experience having a swollen face each time I do hard work or even just lifting weights. It's exactly the same when the tooth wasn't extracted...I feel like the abscess has gone through the inner gum already...

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have a dental abscess and when it started there was some pain but not much. I went to the dentist after it started to swell and they gave me antibiotics and pain killers. However, two days later my face swelled up and I couldn't eat or barely talk, so I went to the ER where they gave me more pain medicine.

Comment from: nicci, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I went to the dentist 3 days ago to get my tooth pulled but after tugging and pulling at it she couldn't get it out, so told me to make another appointment and that there won't be much pain. But oh my GOSH, I'm in pain all right and now I have a lump coming out my gum. I can't touch the side of my cheek as even that's sore.

Comment from: wiser, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

My face went from a slightly puffed nodule to a full blown chipmunk cheek within three days. I tried home remedy of garlic pills and Echinacea thinking it would go away. DO NOT TAKE HOME REMEDIES. Just go to the Dentist. You will need antibiotics and further assessment. After two weeks of antibiotics and it's still not completely gone, I have the option of root canal or pulled. Preventive maintenance on your teeth is worth the money (scrape it up somehow) because abscesses can literally be life threatening if untreated and a lot of unnecessary pain and discomfort. Lesson learned.

Right now I am waiting to go to the dentist at five pm. My face is swollen out like a watermelon on one side, my ear and surrounding tissue there is red and swollen, my neck is swollen. I am in complete agony. I had a bad tooth, the dentist filled it and said I would eventually need a root canal or have it pulled. Apparently eventually was only a week. I have had two different antibiotics as the first one did not work at all. I hope that she pulls it or that it bursts. SOON.

Comment from: Chicago, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

Hi all - Although you should definitely get to a dentist as soon as you think you have an abscessed tooth, there is residual pain while the antibiotics take effect, so I just want to share an excellent home remedy for the pain caused by an abscess inside the mouth - if you have a local natural medicine store, provider or apothecary, get some clove oil. Soak the tip of cotton swab or a cotton ball (you don't need more than 5-6 drops if it's the good kind) and rub this gently wherever there is pain in the mouth. I have been in hell for 24 hours even with Vicodin and now I am much better. Good luck all and take care of those teeth!

Must Read Articles Related to Dental Abscess

Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to ...learn more >>
Toothache Toothache or tooth pain is caused when the nerve root of a tooth is irritated. Dental (tooth) infection, decay, injury, or loss of a tooth are the most common c...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Treatment

What was the treatment for your dental abscess?

Dental Abscess - Experience

Please describe your experience with dental abscess.