Viewer Comments: Dental Abscess - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Symptoms

What were symptoms and signs of your dental abscess?

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have a dental abscess and when it started there was some pain but not much. I went to the dentist after it started to swell and they gave me antibiotics and pain killers. However, two days later my face swelled up and I couldn't eat or barely talk, so I went to the ER where they gave me more pain medicine.

Comment from: nicci, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I went to the dentist 3 days ago to get my tooth pulled but after tugging and pulling at it she couldn't get it out, so told me to make another appointment and that there won't be much pain. But oh my GOSH, I'm in pain all right and now I have a lump coming out my gum. I can't touch the side of my cheek as even that's sore.

Comment from: wiser, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

My face went from a slightly puffed nodule to a full blown chipmunk cheek within three days. I tried home remedy of garlic pills and Echinacea thinking it would go away. DO NOT TAKE HOME REMEDIES. Just go to the Dentist. You will need antibiotics and further assessment. After two weeks of antibiotics and it's still not completely gone, I have the option of root canal or pulled. Preventive maintenance on your teeth is worth the money (scrape it up somehow) because abscesses can literally be life threatening if untreated and a lot of unnecessary pain and discomfort. Lesson learned.

Right now I am waiting to go to the dentist at five pm. My face is swollen out like a watermelon on one side, my ear and surrounding tissue there is red and swollen, my neck is swollen. I am in complete agony. I had a bad tooth, the dentist filled it and said I would eventually need a root canal or have it pulled. Apparently eventually was only a week. I have had two different antibiotics as the first one did not work at all. I hope that she pulls it or that it bursts. SOON.

Comment from: Chicago, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

Hi all - Although you should definitely get to a dentist as soon as you think you have an abscessed tooth, there is residual pain while the antibiotics take effect, so I just want to share an excellent home remedy for the pain caused by an abscess inside the mouth - if you have a local natural medicine store, provider or apothecary, get some clove oil. Soak the tip of cotton swab or a cotton ball (you don't need more than 5-6 drops if it's the good kind) and rub this gently wherever there is pain in the mouth. I have been in hell for 24 hours even with Vicodin and now I am much better. Good luck all and take care of those teeth!

Comment from: Unhappy Patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I had a crown put on a tooth. I have been back to the dentist 4 times complaining that the crown did not fit correctly. I told him I felt it was too big. He admitted it was a bit big and he filed the crown down so it would not hit on the bottom tooth. He has adjusted it twice and finally the tooth went bad. I had to have a root canal. Three days later I was back in his office with a swollen face and neck. I told the Dentist I was sure I had an abscess. He took an x-ray and said no that I was swollen due to the work done. I told him I was fevering and didn't feel good. He said I would be fine. So Monday, I was back in with more swelling and a black eye, sick and unhappy. Again, I told him I had an abscess and could he lance it to relieve the pressure. Again he took and x-ray and said nothing shows and gave me an antibiotic. After 4 days of misery it burst and I have relief. Now, I have a tender jaw and gland in my neck. I guess I will be finding a new Dentist…One that listens!

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 10

I had a dental abscess and I had been not feeling well for a month. Then my teeth at the front became sensitive, and I couldn't sleep. At the time I had some important work to finish and couldn't even spare time for the dentist. Because the pain was unbearable I went to the dentist and she completed a root canal treatment, and gave me strong antibiotics. The next day my face ballooned very badly. I went to the doctor and he gave me a prescription. He said I may have to go to casualty. I did this the next day, but apparently they don't deal with teeth. I phoned NHS Direct and they gave me lots of useful information. I return to the dentist after the weekend. I just hope it bursts.

Comment from: Shirly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had a toothache for about a week and I couldn't sleep, eat or even talk properly. The nerves were really sensitive, so I decided to go to my local dentist to check what was up with my teeth. She told me I have an abscess, which has infected my tooth and gums. She told me to have an emergency treatment to drill me teeth to let the pressure out and put some dressing on the infected teeth with an antibiotic. I feel much better and I have no pain, only my jaw is a little sore.

Must Read Articles Related to Dental Abscess

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Toothache
Toothache Toothache or tooth pain is caused when the nerve root of a tooth is irritated. Dental (tooth) infection, decay, injury, or loss of a tooth are the most common c...learn more >>
When to Visit the Dentist
When to Visit the Dentist Most symptoms and problems that occur with your mouth, teeth, and gums are not emergencies and usually can wait for an appointment with your dentist. The inform...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Treatment

What was the treatment for your dental abscess?

Dental Abscess - Experience

Please describe your experience with dental abscess.