Viewer Comments: Dental Abscess - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Symptoms

What were symptoms and signs of your dental abscess?

Comment from: Unhappy Patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I had a crown put on a tooth. I have been back to the dentist 4 times complaining that the crown did not fit correctly. I told him I felt it was too big. He admitted it was a bit big and he filed the crown down so it would not hit on the bottom tooth. He has adjusted it twice and finally the tooth went bad. I had to have a root canal. Three days later I was back in his office with a swollen face and neck. I told the Dentist I was sure I had an abscess. He took an x-ray and said no that I was swollen due to the work done. I told him I was fevering and didn't feel good. He said I would be fine. So Monday, I was back in with more swelling and a black eye, sick and unhappy. Again, I told him I had an abscess and could he lance it to relieve the pressure. Again he took and x-ray and said nothing shows and gave me an antibiotic. After 4 days of misery it burst and I have relief. Now, I have a tender jaw and gland in my neck. I guess I will be finding a new Dentist…One that listens!

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 10

I had a dental abscess and I had been not feeling well for a month. Then my teeth at the front became sensitive, and I couldn't sleep. At the time I had some important work to finish and couldn't even spare time for the dentist. Because the pain was unbearable I went to the dentist and she completed a root canal treatment, and gave me strong antibiotics. The next day my face ballooned very badly. I went to the doctor and he gave me a prescription. He said I may have to go to casualty. I did this the next day, but apparently they don't deal with teeth. I phoned NHS Direct and they gave me lots of useful information. I return to the dentist after the weekend. I just hope it bursts.

Comment from: Shirly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had a toothache for about a week and I couldn't sleep, eat or even talk properly. The nerves were really sensitive, so I decided to go to my local dentist to check what was up with my teeth. She told me I have an abscess, which has infected my tooth and gums. She told me to have an emergency treatment to drill me teeth to let the pressure out and put some dressing on the infected teeth with an antibiotic. I feel much better and I have no pain, only my jaw is a little sore.

Comment from: G. McKenzie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a bridge replaced. About 2 weeks after the new bridge was put in I started feeling dull pain. As time went on, it got progressively worse. I went back to the dentist and he could find no problem even after x-rays. About a month after that I woke to find an abscess with pus. My feeling is the bridge is fitted wrong, so I'm going to the dentist today.

Comment from: Hamish, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I had slight pain in the tooth on and off for a couple of weeks, then more persistent pain - quite a dull pain - not like the pain when you need a filing. I had nausea and feeling of being very lightheaded. I also had a fever along with the pain, which sent me to the dentist. The tooth was extracted due to the size of the abscess and the shape of the tooth.

Comment from: living doll, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

For my dental abscess, I had soreness where the infection is located and I can't open my mouth all the way. Also, I have had a lot of swelling in my gums.

Comment from: Reez, Published: September 13

The symptoms of my abscess were extreme pain when tapping my tooth or above my tooth along the gum. It felt as if cold air was blowing into my mouth causing tooth ache. I also had referred pain and thought that I had 2 abscesses, apparently common. The signs, tooth ache and swelling cheek making me look like a chipmunk.

Comment from: becky, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I had a problem with my front tooth for some time I went to a new dentist and was given antibiotics which have not worked. I'm in a lot of pain. I can't sleep or eat and I'm always taking painkillers. I need to speak to my dentist as soon as possible. I was given more antibiotics. I have not yet finished the course and I have three days left but I am in terrible pain so I will contact my dentist as soon as possible.

Comment from: thumper, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had my first cavity when I was 12 years old. I had it filled and it was fine, up until 10 years ago. I had it refilled. I am now 44 years old. Ever since this tooth has been very sensitive, but now I am pretty sure it is abscessed. I have not had a cleaning in at least 6 or 7 years but I take good care of my teeth. Anyway, I am in a lot of pain and I have a small lump under that tooth and I went to a "fast food" type dentistry place that gives you a free consultation. He said that I need a new filling. But what about this lump and the ridiculous pain I have been having.

Must Read Articles Related to Dental Abscess

Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to ...learn more >>
Toothache Toothache or tooth pain is caused when the nerve root of a tooth is irritated. Dental (tooth) infection, decay, injury, or loss of a tooth are the most common c...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Treatment

What was the treatment for your dental abscess?

Dental Abscess - Experience

Please describe your experience with dental abscess.