Viewer Comments: Dental Abscess - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Symptoms

What were symptoms and signs of your dental abscess?

Comment from: G. McKenzie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a bridge replaced. About 2 weeks after the new bridge was put in I started feeling dull pain. As time went on, it got progressively worse. I went back to the dentist and he could find no problem even after x-rays. About a month after that I woke to find an abscess with pus. My feeling is the bridge is fitted wrong, so I'm going to the dentist today.

Comment from: Hamish, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I had slight pain in the tooth on and off for a couple of weeks, then more persistent pain - quite a dull pain - not like the pain when you need a filing. I had nausea and feeling of being very lightheaded. I also had a fever along with the pain, which sent me to the dentist. The tooth was extracted due to the size of the abscess and the shape of the tooth.

Comment from: living doll, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

For my dental abscess, I had soreness where the infection is located and I can't open my mouth all the way. Also, I have had a lot of swelling in my gums.

Comment from: Reez, Published: September 13

The symptoms of my abscess were extreme pain when tapping my tooth or above my tooth along the gum. It felt as if cold air was blowing into my mouth causing tooth ache. I also had referred pain and thought that I had 2 abscesses, apparently common. The signs, tooth ache and swelling cheek making me look like a chipmunk.

Comment from: becky, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I had a problem with my front tooth for some time I went to a new dentist and was given antibiotics which have not worked. I'm in a lot of pain. I can't sleep or eat and I'm always taking painkillers. I need to speak to my dentist as soon as possible. I was given more antibiotics. I have not yet finished the course and I have three days left but I am in terrible pain so I will contact my dentist as soon as possible.

Comment from: thumper, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had my first cavity when I was 12 years old. I had it filled and it was fine, up until 10 years ago. I had it refilled. I am now 44 years old. Ever since this tooth has been very sensitive, but now I am pretty sure it is abscessed. I have not had a cleaning in at least 6 or 7 years but I take good care of my teeth. Anyway, I am in a lot of pain and I have a small lump under that tooth and I went to a "fast food" type dentistry place that gives you a free consultation. He said that I need a new filling. But what about this lump and the ridiculous pain I have been having.

Comment from: DanniA, Female Published: May 13

I have an abscess just above my right-hand wisdom tooth. I am in a lot of pain finding it hard to swallow, my right cheek is swollen along with my gums. I am trying my best to get into an emergency dentist. As time is going on the pain is getting worse and I'm starting to get a fever with it. I haven't visited my local dentist for 6 years I am now 22 and I wish I hadn't left it for so long. After this abscess is sorted I have made a promise to myself I will re-register with my local dentist as I would like to avoid this pain in the future. And my advice to anybody who hasn't been to their local dentist for a while like me, get registered now as this pain is something I would not like to go through again.

Comment from: shar, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

Two years ago I had on and off pain and swelling in lower jaw/gums every four months. I went to a dentist to get it checked. He said I had a hole in my tooth and needed to get it filled. I went along with that advice and regretted it. Two weeks later I went to a different dentist begging to rip the tooth out it was so painful. The tooth got pulled out and the abscess was connected and pulled out with it “ lucky!

Must Read Articles Related to Dental Abscess

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Toothache
Toothache Toothache or tooth pain is caused when the nerve root of a tooth is irritated. Dental (tooth) infection, decay, injury, or loss of a tooth are the most common c...learn more >>
When to Visit the Dentist
When to Visit the Dentist Most symptoms and problems that occur with your mouth, teeth, and gums are not emergencies and usually can wait for an appointment with your dentist. The inform...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Experience

Please describe your experience with dental abscess.

Dental Abscess - Treatment

What was the treatment for your dental abscess?