Viewer Comments: Dental Abscess - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Symptoms

What were symptoms and signs of your dental abscess?

Comment from: Sweetbrownsugar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I woke up one morning to find my jaw swollen up like a golf ball. I kept a close watch on it several days. with no change I went to urgent care was told it was a swelling in my soft tissue prior to this I had a very bad cold my glands were swollen as well. Was given antibiotics. And since I had no pain not to worry in less a dramatic change. So off I went again swelling went down still a knot in my jaw, no pain. I return this time was told stronger antibiotic. Return again was told that abscess is soft mine is hard. Referred to a hospital to have a cat scan to make sure it was not a tumor or something. Was told again it was a Harding in the soft tissue of my jaw should go away on its own not to worry. For some reason I didn't settle with this I had a feeling it was my tooth by this time the swelling went down looks like a boil on the outside of my cheek that is now draining puss with a foul odor not once have I had any pain. Two weeks later I arrive at my dentist appointment. After x-rays was told I had an abscess on my tooth the infection has traveled away from my tooth and stored in my jaw nothing they can do. Referred me to a specialist in the San Francisco an hour away from home. So I thought the specialist ends up being a dentistry school I can't believe it. This is still ongoing now I have a dent in my cheek it appears from the infection eating at my tissue.

Comment from: emma - worried mum, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 09

My seven year old daughter has just come out of hospital after 6 days! Due to an abscess! No complaints about her teeth were made by her recently! She woke up on the Monday with a slightly swollen cheek, took her to the doctors got told it was a viral infection! The next day her eye was also swollen slightly took her back to the doctors and told the same as before! By Wednesday morning her whole right side was swollen and her eye completely shut, took her to er and they found the abscess and rushed her down for surgery! Three days later she had another drainage op done as more build up in her face as there was so much! Parents beware how quick things develop in a child!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

This started 4 months ago. The inside of my tooth literally fell out so I went to a dentist and they filled it in. Then the pain really started. I usually have a very high tolerance for pain but I couldn't stand this. I called the same dentist, he gave me antibiotic and I went back to see him again. This time he shaved off the tooth where it was rubbing the top one. That did not help either. My cheek is now three times its normal size and I have a dental appt. with another dentist to get my abscessed tooth pulled. I have been to this other dentist but they wouldn't do anything w/o taking x-rays of my teeth because I'd never been there before. So I have to wait another 2 weeks before I'm finally, finally able to get this tooth pulled. They told me my options were to spend a lot of money for a root canal or not so much money to get it pulled. I'm done with this pain it's gonna be out of there but I still have to wait about 2 weeks.

Comment from: kellie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had toothache for a week now finally went to the dentist yesterday because my face was starting to swell up. I have an abscess in my tooth and had a root canal done. I woke up this morning and my face is even more swollen and my eye is nearly closing.

Comment from: Merlynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

First I had the feeling that something was in my ears. I had a bad salty taste in my mouth. Then I developed an earache. My tooth felt tender with some pain once in a while. I went to my dentist and had X-rays done and found that I needed a root canal. I never knew that a bad salty taste in your mouth was a symptom of a dental abscess or I would have sought dental care sooner.

Comment from: lizzy, Female (Patient) Published: May 22

Last Friday that I had toothache that made me unbearable, so went to see the dentist in an emergency. I had an X-Ray and found out that one of the teeth under the gold crown had abscessed. The dentist prescribed me some antibiotics. I found myself with a swollen jaw and unable to sleep. Then, yesterday I went back to the dentist and had the gold crown removed and let the abscess drain. I have to go back to the dentist in two weeks' time to check the progress. Last night I finally had a good night of sleep.

Comment from: RobinW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I had on and off sensitivity to cold for about a year then a full blown painful toothache. The tooth affected was a virgin tooth. now I am having same symptoms on same tooth on the opposite side.

Must Read Articles Related to Dental Abscess

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Toothache
Toothache Toothache or tooth pain is caused when the nerve root of a tooth is irritated. Dental (tooth) infection, decay, injury, or loss of a tooth are the most common c...learn more >>
When to Visit the Dentist
When to Visit the Dentist Most symptoms and problems that occur with your mouth, teeth, and gums are not emergencies and usually can wait for an appointment with your dentist. The inform...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Treatment

What was the treatment for your dental abscess?

Dental Abscess - Experience

Please describe your experience with dental abscess.