Viewer Comments: Dental Abscess - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Symptoms

What were symptoms and signs of your dental abscess?

...
Comment from: aunt, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I had a terrible rash on my arms and legs, big blisters that my doctor couldn't diagnose. I went to a dermatologist who suggested that I go to a dentist. It seems that often an abscessed tooth can cause a blood infection that results in a rash. The dentist had never heard of this, but took an x-ray for me (I'd had no pain), and sure enough, I had a big abscess. Three or four years later, I still have unsightly scars from the rash on my legs.

Comment from: Meriba, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

Thanks for allowing me to express myself. I have this serious toothache and swollen jaw, it has taken me a year and after every month it appears. Recently, I decide to remove T3 tooth hoping for my lower jaw to stop swelling and paining but it is still the same. My doctor can't manage my situation I don't know how I can get off this chronic monthly pains.

Comment from: Sweetbrownsugar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I woke up one morning to find my jaw swollen up like a golf ball. I kept a close watch on it several days. with no change I went to urgent care was told it was a swelling in my soft tissue prior to this I had a very bad cold my glands were swollen as well. Was given antibiotics. And since I had no pain not to worry in less a dramatic change. So off I went again swelling went down still a knot in my jaw, no pain. I return this time was told stronger antibiotic. Return again was told that abscess is soft mine is hard. Referred to a hospital to have a cat scan to make sure it was not a tumor or something. Was told again it was a Harding in the soft tissue of my jaw should go away on its own not to worry. For some reason I didn't settle with this I had a feeling it was my tooth by this time the swelling went down looks like a boil on the outside of my cheek that is now draining puss with a foul odor not once have I had any pain. Two weeks later I arrive at my dentist appointment. After x-rays was told I had an abscess on my tooth the infection has traveled away from my tooth and stored in my jaw nothing they can do. Referred me to a specialist in the San Francisco an hour away from home. So I thought the specialist ends up being a dentistry school I can't believe it. This is still ongoing now I have a dent in my cheek it appears from the infection eating at my tissue.

Comment from: emma - worried mum, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 09

My seven year old daughter has just come out of hospital after 6 days! Due to an abscess! No complaints about her teeth were made by her recently! She woke up on the Monday with a slightly swollen cheek, took her to the doctors got told it was a viral infection! The next day her eye was also swollen slightly took her back to the doctors and told the same as before! By Wednesday morning her whole right side was swollen and her eye completely shut, took her to er and they found the abscess and rushed her down for surgery! Three days later she had another drainage op done as more build up in her face as there was so much! Parents beware how quick things develop in a child!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

This started 4 months ago. The inside of my tooth literally fell out so I went to a dentist and they filled it in. Then the pain really started. I usually have a very high tolerance for pain but I couldn't stand this. I called the same dentist, he gave me antibiotic and I went back to see him again. This time he shaved off the tooth where it was rubbing the top one. That did not help either. My cheek is now three times its normal size and I have a dental appt. with another dentist to get my abscessed tooth pulled. I have been to this other dentist but they wouldn't do anything w/o taking x-rays of my teeth because I'd never been there before. So I have to wait another 2 weeks before I'm finally, finally able to get this tooth pulled. They told me my options were to spend a lot of money for a root canal or not so much money to get it pulled. I'm done with this pain it's gonna be out of there but I still have to wait about 2 weeks.

Comment from: Bella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

My abscess started with pain generally in my mouth and an ulcer on my the inside of my bottom lip. The doctor said I had oral thrush and gave me medication. The next day I had a massive toothache and went to the dentist to find I had an abscess. He prescribed anti-biotics and Penicillin. For three days I was crying in extreme pain but after that it started to settle. I am still to have some treatment on my tooth but the dentist said he cannot do anything until the abscess heals as the injection for numbness of the area before dental surgery will not work with an inflamed abscess.

Comment from: bopeanut, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

My symptoms started about a week ago with sensitivity to hot and cold on the right side (upper and lower) of my mouth. I bought Sensodyne and figured the sensitive toothpaste would work. After a few days of struggling with the sensitivity, pain started kicking in on the upper tooth that had a crown put on it about six months prior. I went to the dentist on the fourth day which, unfortunately, was a day or two late to avoid the infection getting so bad I could not sleep. After two days of intense pain, the antibiotics seem to be kicking in. I plan on having the root canal done next week. The good news is that I will know for next time what this feels like. DON'T ignore the early signs and suffer like I have.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Dental Abscess

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to ...learn more >>
Toothache
Toothache Toothache or tooth pain is caused when the nerve root of a tooth is irritated. Dental (tooth) infection, decay, injury, or loss of a tooth are the most common c...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Treatment

What was the treatment for your dental abscess?

Dental Abscess - Experience

Please describe your experience with dental abscess.