Viewer Comments: Dental Abscess - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Treatment

What was the treatment for your dental abscess?

Comment from: exposed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

Several months ago, I had a tooth break and then the filling fell out not long after. I had an exposed nerve that I didn't have the money to fix. I couldn't eat anything and anything I did try wound up inside the nerve. Then I had the tooth next to it crack and cause infection below the gum line, and in my jaw and my neck. I've been given antibiotics and pain pills. Over the next few days, I'm having them all pulled and I will have a bridge put in. I'm praying that nothing else goes wrong.

Comment from: painnomore, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I had a crown several years ago. Lately it developed an abscess by the root. I went to the dentist and he drilled and put medicine on it and told me to come back for a root canal. I went in for the root canal and the tooth ached at the end so I asked about that and was told that it might be tender for a day or two. I was given a prescription for antibiotics and told to take Advil. The next day, the pain increased to the point that I was desperate! I woke up this morning and my jaw is swollen.

Comment from: Cannucklehead, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

Two of my teeth were pulled immediately, then two more the next week because of an infection and dental abscess. The dentist then stitched the gum area tight, and lo and behold more infection. When the first teeth were pulled I was given an antibiotic cocktail, then again the following week. And this is six weeks post the first extractions, and I've had little pieces of tooth/bone come up thru the gums, along with still lingering pus. I tried clove oil, it did nothing. I tried tooth pain gel and it would last about 20 mins for pain relief. Took a pain cocktail of 2x Tylenol 3's and a naproxen. Along with the major pain relief regime I am on daily of Fentanyl and Morphine and those didn't even affect the pain. I had fever, chills, nausea, etc.

Must Read Articles Related to Dental Abscess

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Toothache
Toothache Toothache or tooth pain is caused when the nerve root of a tooth is irritated. Dental (tooth) infection, decay, injury, or loss of a tooth are the most common c...learn more >>
When to Visit the Dentist
When to Visit the Dentist Most symptoms and problems that occur with your mouth, teeth, and gums are not emergencies and usually can wait for an appointment with your dentist. The inform...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Symptoms

What were symptoms and signs of your dental abscess?

Dental Abscess - Experience

Please describe your experience with dental abscess.