Viewer Comments: Dental Abscess - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Treatment

What was the treatment for your dental abscess?

Comment from: Lastangel, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I had some old fillings replaced and some veneer work on my front teeth in the same two week treatment program. My teeth were super sore. After three weeks I was pretty much back to normal. Then, I started feeling a jabbing pain at the top of my gum every time I ate. I went back and my dentist filed down some edges on the tooth and it helped. One week later I am back complaining about the same tooth. The gums sting and my cheek is sore. I have been careful with what I chew. He tells me I have an abscess completely unrelated to my treatment. I'm in the chair as I write this waiting for the numbing to arrive.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

When I was eight years old I fractured and killed my tooth. Ten years later it abscessed, I had it drained followed by a root canal. Ten years after that, I'm in chronic pain due to another abscess that has broken through to swell up my face like you wouldn't believe. I am finally on antibiotics that work, but it also came to a head in the gum and burst as well (so gross, but a huge relief). Now I'm off to dental surgeon to have a root resection. Fingers crossed! I feel your pain!!!!!

Comment from: s, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I had the worst experience! I went to the doctor in so much pain in a tooth. The dentist had redone the filling from when I was a child, now 40 years old. He told me the X-ray showed no infection and to go home and chew on the other side, which I did. Two days later I was in so much pain. I went to another dentist that said I needed an emergency root canal. I got the root canal and it all came crashing down for me. I swelled from an abscess so badly and the pain was the worst I could ever imagine. I had to have the abscess drained through my mouth - really fun! I had night sweats from the infection for two weeks and it is now six months later and they have not fully gone away. I live in fear that the infection is still with me. I was on antibiotics for almost two months when this started. Make sure you have a good dentist and always go on antibiotics BEFORE a root canal!!!!

Comment from: exposed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

Several months ago, I had a tooth break and then the filling fell out not long after. I had an exposed nerve that I didn't have the money to fix. I couldn't eat anything and anything I did try wound up inside the nerve. Then I had the tooth next to it crack and cause infection below the gum line, and in my jaw and my neck. I've been given antibiotics and pain pills. Over the next few days, I'm having them all pulled and I will have a bridge put in. I'm praying that nothing else goes wrong.

Comment from: painnomore, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I had a crown several years ago. Lately it developed an abscess by the root. I went to the dentist and he drilled and put medicine on it and told me to come back for a root canal. I went in for the root canal and the tooth ached at the end so I asked about that and was told that it might be tender for a day or two. I was given a prescription for antibiotics and told to take Advil. The next day, the pain increased to the point that I was desperate! I woke up this morning and my jaw is swollen.

Comment from: Cannucklehead, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

Two of my teeth were pulled immediately, then two more the next week because of an infection and dental abscess. The dentist then stitched the gum area tight, and lo and behold more infection. When the first teeth were pulled I was given an antibiotic cocktail, then again the following week. And this is six weeks post the first extractions, and I've had little pieces of tooth/bone come up thru the gums, along with still lingering pus. I tried clove oil, it did nothing. I tried tooth pain gel and it would last about 20 mins for pain relief. Took a pain cocktail of 2x Tylenol 3's and a naproxen. Along with the major pain relief regime I am on daily of Fentanyl and Morphine and those didn't even affect the pain. I had fever, chills, nausea, etc.

Must Read Articles Related to Dental Abscess

Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to ...learn more >>
Toothache Toothache or tooth pain is caused when the nerve root of a tooth is irritated. Dental (tooth) infection, decay, injury, or loss of a tooth are the most common c...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess:

Dental Abscess - Symptoms

What were symptoms and signs of your dental abscess?

Dental Abscess - Experience

Please describe your experience with dental abscess.