Viewer Comments: Diabetes - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diabetes (Mellitus, Type 1 and Type 2):

Diabetes - Symptoms

The symptoms of diabetes can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset diabetes?

Comment from: Diabeteschick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was a healthy 27 year old female when I found out. I had been training for a half marathon for a few months and had lost about 15 pounds, was thirsty, urinated more often than normal and had severe cramping in my legs at night. I chalked everything up to increased exercise. I had a cold/flu for about 2 weeks when I had some blood work done. My sugar was 627! I was diagnosed very quickly with Type 1 Diabetes. That day was certainly etched in my mind. But, I do feel like a new person and am probably healthier now than before!

Comment from: SSpumpkin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

After reviewing a letter written by my doctor, where I read he had prescribed Celebrex for me due to pain of Arthritis which had really messed up my neck, back and knees, I found that one of the side effects of Celebrex is Diabetes. I have Type 2, now, and have been being treated for it for over three years. I am keeping it under control, but it's not easy and I have a tendency to mess up when I cannot afford my medications. I am retired, living on a fixed income and money is hard to come by. As noted in the Celebrex info, this can also work into hypoglycemia. Just loads of fun here, huh?

Hearing loss , ringing in the ears and dehydration were my diabetic symptoms. Also sometimes my blood sugar would drop too low (40-) and I would have hypoglycemia. Also I had bladder infections that my doctor put down to menopause symptoms at first. I also have connective tissue disease which muddied the waters a bit until random blood work with my rheumatologist and my gynecologist showed elevated glucose levels. I have nine siblings and six out of 10 have diabetes. The first diagnosed was my youngest brother who died of diabetes complications age 35. I have told my four siblings who are not diagnosed yet to watch for symptoms of diabetes. They are not the youngest, my oldest sibling is free of symptoms. It might also be noted there are four different kinds of auto-immune disease with myself and my siblings.

Comment from: Jean Harris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I have been told by my new doctor that I have diabetes and my number should be 6 but it is 14.

Comment from: lkg4244, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 30

While I was awake at night with a sick child for a few days I noticed my 13 year old son waking up to urinate, which I never thought he did. The floor around the toilet was sticky from his urine, I thought it was because I was using a different cleaner. A week later my 14-year-old daughter said my son was urinating so much one day while I was working. He was looking thinner. I chalked that up to a growth spurt. He was tired and I thought it was normal for growing teens. He had wet his bed two times in that week, something he has never done. After Type 1 Diabetes diagnosis, he said he was getting up three times a night to urinate, admitted he was very hungry after eating, and felt pretty crummy, but just kept going before he knew he was diabetic.

Comment from: veda, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 30

A blood test found I had diabetes, since then I have lost three stone in weight and only weigh just under eight stone now, too. I had another blood test last week and my doctor now tells me my kidneys are bad.

Comment from: wilma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

My diabetes symptoms were frequent urination, high blood pressure and dizzy spells.

Comment from: Sisiegh, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I've got most of the symptoms, blurry eyesight even though I wear glasses. My left thumb is numb; my feet are rough. I'm always hungry and thirsty, and I get tired most of the time.

Comment from: KenG, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 27

His father was a diabetic. He drinks gallons of water and is losing lots of weight. Where is there a doctor who can treat a diabetic with serious symtoms of diabetes? We live in Orange County, CA and he has no medical insurance.

Must Read Articles Related to Diabetes (Mellitus, Type 1 and Type 2)

Diabetes: Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Times
Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Time Be prepared to manage your diabetes, and control blood sugar and symptoms when you're sick, when you're at work or school, when traveling, during pregnancy, or ...learn more >>
Diabetic Eye Disease
Diabetic Eye Disease Diabetic eye disease is a complication from diabetes. Types of diabetic eye disease include background diabetic retinopathy, nonproliferative diabetic retinopat...learn more >>
Diabetic Foot Care
Diabetic Foot Care Read about diabetic foot care. Causes of foot problems in people with diabetes include footwear, nerve damage, poor circulation, trauma, infections, and smoking...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diabetes (Mellitus, Type 1 and Type 2):

Diabetes Treatment - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for diabetes?