Viewer Comments: Diabetic Ketoacidosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diabetic Ketoacidosis:

Diabetic Ketoacidosis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with diabetic ketoacidosis?

Comment from: mary, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have lost at least 100 pounds and have a problem with having a really dry mouth. I stay extremely thirsty and am up a lot during the night with going to the restroom and getting water. My urine has a funny odor to it and I am so tired lately. The last few days I have had a lot of pain in my back.

Comment from: jipsi27, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I have only had diabetes for 9 years, and to be honest never treated it as seriously as I should, taking insulin here and there, not worrying if I forgot it. However, at Christmastime last year I began losing a lot of weight, losing my appetite and going to the toilet more. I had almost forgot I had diabetes altogether and I was loving the weight loss, until 5 weeks ago. My legs were aching and I was so tired. I felt really frail, had terrible heartburn and a severe pain in my back that I could hardly breathe. My husband took 1 look at me and rushed me straight to the hospital. I had diabetic ketoacidosis. I was in hospital for a few days having to be totally hydrated again, as all I was skin and bones. I had drips everywhere ad my veins had collapsed so the nurses were taking blood from my feet. I am fine now but still recovering, and it has given me the biggest scare of my life. My husband now makes sure I take at least 5 blood readings a day and all insulin and tablets are taken at correct times. I will never take my diabetes i such a nonchalant way again.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had a very dry mouth and I woke up in the night to drink water. I started vomiting and I thought I caught the flu from my kids. Oops. Three days in ICU.

Comment from: Brett, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I tend to be very sensitive to diabetic ketoacidosis. I have been hospitalized 9 times for this. The past 3 ER visits, my BS were only 250-350. Both the ambulance attendants and ER staff shrugged off my concerns of DKA stating that my sugar was not high enough to put me in DKA. I was vomiting so violently that I had ripped my stomach and throwing up blood. After blood work at the ER it was diagnosed as DKA and showed a high level of acetones.

Must Read Articles Related to Diabetic Ketoacidosis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Diabetes: Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Times
Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Time Be prepared to manage your diabetes, and control blood sugar and symptoms when you're sick, when you're at work or school, when traveling, during pregnancy, or ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diabetic Ketoacidosis:

Diabetic Ketoacidosis - Experience

Please share your experience with diabetic ketoacidosis.