Diarrhea is the frequent passage of loose, watery, soft stools with or
without abdominal bloating, pressure, and cramps commonly referred to as
gas. Diarrhea can come on suddenly, run its course, and be helped with home care to prevent complications such as
- Diarrhea is one of the most common illnesses in all
age groups and ranks along with the
common cold as a
main cause of
lost days of work or school.
- People of all ages can suffer from diarrhea, and the average adult has
episode of acute diarrhea per year, and young children average two acute
episodes per year.
- Diarrhea and related complications can cause severe illness. The most significant cause of severe illness is loss of water and
electrolytes. In diarrhea, fluid passes out of the body before it can be absorbed
by the intestines. When the ability to drink fluids fast enough to compensate for the water
loss because of diarrhea is impaired, dehydration can result. Most deaths from diarrhea occur in the very young and the elderly whose health may be put at risk from a moderate amount of dehydration.
- Diarrhea can be further defined in the following ways:
- chronic diarrhea is the presence of loose or liquid stools for over two
- acute enteritis is inflammation
of the intestine;
- gastroenteritis (stomach
flu) is diarrhea associated with
nausea and vomiting; or
- dysentery is diarrhea that contains blood, pus, or mucus.
Must Read Articles Related to Diarrhea
Abdominal Pain in Adults
Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Dehydration in Adults
Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>
Dehydration in Children
Dehydration in children can result from not drinking enough liquids, vomiting, diarrhea, or combination of these conditions. Causes of dehydration in children i...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diarrhea: