IN THIS ARTICLE
Symptoms should begin to improve two to three days after the original diarrheal episode. Loose stools may persist longer than other symptoms.
Serious disease is usually seen in individuals who become severely dehydrated, particularly infants, the elderly, or other people with significant medical illnesses.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 11/9/2012
Bhupinder Anand, MD
Must Read Articles Related to Diarrhea
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diarrhea:
Diarrhea - Experience
Please describe your experience with diarrhea.
Diarrhea - Cause
What was the cause of your diarrhea?
Diarrhea - Effective Treatments
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?