IN THIS ARTICLE
Symptoms should begin to improve two to three days after the original diarrheal episode. Loose stools may persist longer than other symptoms.
Serious disease is usually seen in individuals who become severely dehydrated, particularly infants, the elderly, or other people with significant medical illnesses.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 11/10/2014
Bhupinder Anand, MD
Must Read Articles Related to Diarrhea
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diarrhea:
Diarrhea - Effective Treatments
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?
Diarrhea - Cause
What was the cause of your diarrhea?
Diarrhea - Experience
Please describe your experience with diarrhea.
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Are Antidiarrheals Safe for IBS?
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- Can Apple Cider Vinegar Help Digestion?
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu