IN THIS ARTICLE
In healthy people with diarrhea, and who appear well otherwise, the health care professional may elect to do no tests at all. Stool cultures (when a sample of the stool is taken and examined in the lab for certain bacteria or parasites) are not usually necessary unless there is high fever, blood in the stool, recent travel, or prolonged disease.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 11/10/2014
Bhupinder Anand, MD
Must Read Articles Related to Diarrhea
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diarrhea:
Diarrhea - Effective Treatments
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?
Diarrhea - Cause
What was the cause of your diarrhea?
Diarrhea - Experience
Please describe your experience with diarrhea.
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Are Antidiarrheals Safe for IBS?
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- Can Apple Cider Vinegar Help Digestion?
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu