IN THIS ARTICLE
The use of anti-motility medications, although controversial, does provide relief from diarrhea. These drugs slow down the intestinal movement. These medications include loperamide (Imodium) and bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol, Kaopectate, etc).
Electrolyte solutions are available to prevent salt deficiency.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 11/9/2012
Bhupinder Anand, MD
Must Read Articles Related to Diarrhea
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diarrhea:
Diarrhea - Experience
Please describe your experience with diarrhea.
Diarrhea - Cause
What was the cause of your diarrhea?
Diarrhea - Effective Treatments
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Can Baby Catch Eczema?
- How to Get Beautiful, Dandruff-Free Hair