IN THIS ARTICLE
The use of anti-motility medications, although controversial, does provide relief from diarrhea. These drugs slow down the intestinal movement. These medications include loperamide (Imodium) and bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol, Kaopectate, etc).
Electrolyte solutions are available to prevent salt deficiency.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 11/10/2014
Bhupinder Anand, MD
Must Read Articles Related to Diarrhea
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diarrhea:
Diarrhea - Effective Treatments
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?
Diarrhea - Cause
What was the cause of your diarrhea?
Diarrhea - Experience
Please describe your experience with diarrhea.
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Are Antidiarrheals Safe for IBS?
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- Can Apple Cider Vinegar Help Digestion?
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu