Viewer Comments: Diarrhea - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diarrhea:

Diarrhea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?

Comment from: Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have been struggling with diarrhea since 1995. I have visited several gastro specialists to no avail. Aside from watching my diet, I began taking 625 mg of Welchol twice a day. I now have my life back. I have regular-formed stools and no accidents before reaching a bathroom. I also take Imodium after a spell if I forgot to take a dose of the Welchol. Before Welchol, I spent most of my days in the bathroom and was always fearful of an accident when leaving home. Following a nice meal away from home was always a concern because it was almost always followed with diarrhea within 15 minutes or so. I am very, very thankful for this medicine. I hope this helps someone out there.

Comment from: liliana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

What is most important in your Diarrhea prophylaxis is to replace as soon as possible the electrolytes (minerals and salts that affect the quantity of water that can be found in your organism; they also control other important functions such as muscle activity) and the fluid that you have lost in the past days. They are vital for your organism's well functioning. Although consuming plenty of fluids (water) is highly important in the effective prevention of the symptoms that are caused by dehydration, simple water cannot help you with your electrolyte imbalance.

Comment from: Hope, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am 62 years old and have chronic pancreatitis. After suffering from chronic diarrhea for more than a month, my doctor prescribed Zantac. The symptoms disappeared overnight.

Comment from: blinkie4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have use dried blueberries to help stop the diarrhea.

Must Read Articles Related to Diarrhea

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>
Dehydration in Children
Dehydration in Children Dehydration in children can result from not drinking enough liquids, vomiting, diarrhea, or combination of these conditions. Causes of dehydration in children i...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diarrhea:

Diarrhea - Experience

Please describe your experience with diarrhea.

Diarrhea - Cause

What was the cause of your diarrhea?