Viewer Comments: Diarrhea - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diarrhea:

Diarrhea - Cause

What was the cause of your diarrhea?

Comment from: grandblanc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I take a water pill everyday along with other prescribed medications. Most days the after first meal I eat: eggs, cereal, glass of juice or anything else within 30 or so minutes I get uncontrollable diarrhea that causes several visits to the bathroom. There is no pain or blood that I know of, although the stool is very black and dark. I am always worried if traveling or meeting others that this will ruin my day.

Comment from: zaleha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

Fasting month is like a food festival to Muslims in Malaysia. So I bought this one dessert and I believed it to be the cause, since I was the only one buying that in my family. The pain was so bad. I'm 32.

Comment from: tapiocabear, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

It happened after Easter Dinner. I think raw vegetables might be the culprit.

Comment from: Pete, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 07

Antibiotics for pneumonia have caused serious diarrhea and stomach upset.

Comment from: jollycholly, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 25

When my blood pressure went way up suddenly, I was given a new (to me) hypertension pill. Soon severe diarrhea occurred and I stopped the pill and called the doctor. I continued with meds I and been taking for heart disease and hypertension. I am 88.

Comment from: sunshine, 55-64 Female Published: March 22

About 2-3 times a week I get diarrhea after I eat lunch. I cannot figure out why.

Comment from: bluesman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 20

I have had morning, uncontrollable, diarrhea for almost a year now. Within 5-7 minutes after I wake up every morning, I have to hurry to the bathroom before all hell breaks lose. I try to get a cup of coffee before I head in, but sometimes 10 seconds can mean the difference whether I make it or not. I can only describe it as pouring mud out of a shovel. I can't stop it. Have had colonoscopy, doctor says nothing is wrong. He wouldn't say that if he were in my pants. Hinted at i.b.s. and prescribed Bentyl 3 times a day, due to anxiety, being an ongoing disorder I've had for years. No help.

Must Read Articles Related to Diarrhea

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>
Dehydration in Children
Dehydration in Children Dehydration in children can result from not drinking enough liquids, vomiting, diarrhea, or combination of these conditions. Causes of dehydration in children i...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diarrhea:

Diarrhea - Experience

Please describe your experience with diarrhea.

Diarrhea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?