Font Size

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) (cont.)

When to Seek Medical Care

Call the doctor immediately if you develop any of the following symptoms:

  • Fever (more than 100.4 F or 38 C)
  • Severe persistent pain or cramps not relieved by ibuprofen or naproxen
  • Prolonged or heavy bleeding (more than 6 hours, or requiring a change of sanitary pads several times in 1 hour)
  • A foul-smelling discharge from the vagina

If you cannot reach your doctor about any of the problems, go to a hospital emergency department. If you become lightheaded or pass out, you should have someone take you to an emergency department because this may indicate excess blood loss. If you feel very ill, have a high fever, or severe dilation and curettage, it may be best to go directly to an emergency department by EMS.

Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 11/11/2014

Must Read Articles Related to Dilation and Curettage (D&C)

Hysteroscopy A hysteroscopy is a procedure performed in w...learn more >>
Menstrual Cramps
Menstrual Pain

Menstrual cramps are either classified as primary or secondary dysmenorrhea. Secondary dysmenorrhea refers to menstrual cramps caused by another medical co...learn more >>

Miscarriage A miscarriage (spontaneous abortion) is a pregnancy that spontaneously ends before the fetus can survive. There are classifications of miscarriage that include ...learn more >>

Patient Comments & Reviews

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dilation and Curettage (D&C):

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Reasons

What was the reason for your D&C?

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience prior to your D&C?

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Experience

Please describe your experience with D&C.

Read What Your Physician is Reading on Medscape

Premalignant Lesionso f the Endometrium »

Endometrial hyperplasia involves the proliferation of endometrial glands that results in a greater than normal gland-to-stroma ratio.

Read More on Medscape Reference »

Medical Dictionary