Dilation and Curettage (D&C) Topic Guide
Miscarriage A miscarriage (spontaneous abortion) is a pregnancy that spontaneously ends before the fetus can survive. There are classifications of miscarriage that include
There are a variety of causes of a miscarriage. Causes of miscarriage include
- incomplete, and
- complete miscarriage.
Symptoms of a miscarriage are
If a woman thinks she may be having a miscarriage, she should seek medical care with her doctor or go to an emergency department.
- defective genes of the fetus,
- chronic illness, including diabetes, severe high blood pressure, kidney disease, lupus, and underactive or overactive thyroid gland,
- acute infections, including Germany measles, CMV, and mycoplasma (walking pneumonia),
- diseases and abnormalities of the internal female organs, and
- other factors, including certain drugs like alcohol, tobacco, and cocaine.