Viewer Comments: Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Reasons

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dilation and Curettage (D&C):

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Reasons

What was the reason for your D&C?

Comment from: Anya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I just had a D&C done today for bad menstrual cycles, hemorrhage and debilitating cramping. All I got before the procedure was an ibuprofen. It was the most painful, traumatizing procedure of my life! I've had four Cesarean births if that tells you anything. I'd rather have four more C-sections before I ever have a D&C again. My body was convulsing during the procedure and for 20 minutes after.

Comment from: ms tootsie roll, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had spotting over a long period of time and heavy bleeding.

Comment from: Abbey.b, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I had a D & C because I had heavy bleeding with blood clots. This was about 6 months ago. I still have blood clots.

Comment from: KL, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I just had D&C due to nonstop, heavy bleeding. My GYN found and removed polyps from my uterus. I was feeling fine immediately, but started to have stomach cramps on the second day.

Comment from: Sim, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had D & C due to a polyp in my uterus.

Comment from: Tasha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had theD&Cprocedure done on this past Monday. It was done because I had an overextended period, and was passing large clots of blood. I have to go back for my follow-up on this Monday, but I'm scared of what the outcome may be.

Comment from: wvgirl80, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I had my D&C after finding I had a problem which caused me to start bleeding uncontrollably. I lost 1/3 of my blood volume in a short amount of time, causing me to go into shock. After arriving at the hospital, I immediately got a pap smear, which showed polyps actually protruding from my cervix. After the D&C, the doctor explained that the polyps were bursting inside my uterus and causing the massive blood loss. A few weeks later, tests results showed that I was in the first stages of endometrial cancer.

Comment from: MelCor, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

During my seventh week, I went to my doctor for my first ultrasound. She said there was no heartbeat and the and the fetus was not growing properly, so I was immediately scheduled for a D&C.

Comment from: Zaby1979, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

Last year I went through a miscarriage. I tried to go through it without the D&C. It was awful. I would never want to go through that again. This time when I miscarried, I was about 7 weeks when they did the sonogram there was no heartbeat. We went ahead and set up for the D&C. It is still an emotional experience but wasnt as painful.

Comment from: Ad1227, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

The reason I had a D&C was due to a rare and not common pregnancy which I'd known as a molar pregnancy.

Comment from: Lindam, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I am scheduled to have a D & C in two weeks. I am 62 years old and I have had some irregular bleeding for a couple of weeks on and off. My doctor found a cyst in my uterus. I am very nervous. I've never had a surgical procedure before. Doctor is very informative and staff is very kind and helpful, but I'm still nervous.

Comment from: demmi50@aol.com, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

The reason for my dilation and curettage (D&C) was due to thickening of my uterine wall.

Must Read Articles Related to Dilation and Curettage (D&C)

Hysteroscopy
Hysteroscopy A hysteroscopy is a procedure performed in w...learn more >>
Menstrual Cramps
Menstrual Pain Menstrual cramps are either classified as primary dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation) in which there is no anatomical cause for the pain. Secondary dysmenorrhea...learn more >>
Miscarriage
Miscarriage A miscarriage (spontaneous abortion) is a pregnancy that spontaneously ends before the fetus can survive. There are classifications of miscarriage that include ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dilation and Curettage (D&C):

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience prior to your D&C?

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Experience

Please describe your experience with D&C.