Viewer Comments: Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Reasons

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dilation and Curettage (D&C):

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Reasons

What was the reason for your D&C?

Comment from: MelCor, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

During my seventh week, I went to my doctor for my first ultrasound. She said there was no heartbeat and the and the fetus was not growing properly, so I was immediately scheduled for a D&C.

Comment from: Zaby1979, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

Last year I went through a miscarriage. I tried to go through it without the D&C. It was awful. I would never want to go through that again. This time when I miscarried, I was about 7 weeks when they did the sonogram there was no heartbeat. We went ahead and set up for the D&C. It is still an emotional experience but wasnt as painful.

Comment from: Ad1227, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

The reason I had a D&C was due to a rare and not common pregnancy which I'd known as a molar pregnancy.

Comment from: Lindam, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I am scheduled to have a D & C in two weeks. I am 62 years old and I have had some irregular bleeding for a couple of weeks on and off. My doctor found a cyst in my uterus. I am very nervous. I've never had a surgical procedure before. Doctor is very informative and staff is very kind and helpful, but I'm still nervous.

Comment from: demmi50@aol.com, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

The reason for my dilation and curettage (D&C) was due to thickening of my uterine wall.

Comment from: Jbizee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

At 11 weeks, the fetus was very small and the heart stopped. I just needed to end it as soon as possible for my own sanity. My D&C was done 2 days later. It helped me grieve with some type of finality.

Comment from: karenvandi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

Started having heavy periods when in the past they have been very light. The doctor said she was unable to determine whether or not I had endometrial cancer and needed the hysteroscopy and D and C to check further. I have already had a biopsy, but it was inconclusive with precancerous cells. I am a bit nervous, but hope to get this over with and find out one way or the other.

Comment from: babydoll, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

My procedure was due to heavy bleeding and cyst. I had the procedure a week ago; and still have heavy stomach cramps without taking moltrin. I am very concerned; I should be up and about by now. I had my tubes tied 13 years ago; but I do have cyst and fibroids.

Must Read Articles Related to Dilation and Curettage (D&C)

Hysteroscopy
Hysteroscopy A hysteroscopy is a procedure performed in women to diagnose and/or treat conditions such as abnormal vaginal bleeding, uterine polyps or tumors, anatomic abnor...learn more >>
Menstrual Cramps
Menstrual Pain Menstrual cramps are either classified as primary dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation) in which there is no anatomical cause for the pain. Secondary dysmenorrhea...learn more >>
Miscarriage
Miscarriage A miscarriage (spontaneous abortion) is a pregnancy that spontaneously ends before the fetus can survive. There are classifications of miscarriage that include ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dilation and Curettage (D&C):

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Experience

Please describe your experience with D&C.

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience prior to your D&C?