Viewer Comments: Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Reasons

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dilation and Curettage (D&C):

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Reasons

What was the reason for your D&C?

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: November 08

I was about 7 weeks pregnant when my D and C was done. I had been seeing my doctor once a week since I was 4 weeks pregnant because I was asked to go for follow up ultrasounds after my baby measured small for the fetal age and also because they were unable to detect a heartbeat. After two weeks of the baby growing only a minimal amount and then not growing at all before my last ultrasound, my doctor called and said it is likely I would have a miscarriage. Although he did not want my husband or myself to give up hope just yet. But, by week 7, I had started bleeding (not a severe amount but enough to know something was very wrong). Less than a day later, my doctor had me in the office for another ultrasound and an internal exam to see what was going on and he told me that the miscarriage began on it's own. He then asked me if I would be ok with doing a D and C because he was worried about me not expelling all of the uterine contents and it causing problems later. I went in for the D and C immediately after since my ob's office is in our local hospital.

Comment from: alicianicole83, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I was almost 9 weeks pregnant and the baby died at 6 weeks and had no heartbeat. I tried taking the pill to expel the baby which that part worked but my body did not expel everything. I have chosen to do the D & C due to the pills not completely working. I wanted to avoid surgery but all the pain I went through with the pills was insane and I am just ready for my body to go back to normal.

Comment from: Dianna, Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I went for my first ultrasound at 9 weeks, but the baby had only developed to about 6.5 weeks, but still with a heartbeat. My doctor had me have some extra follow-up ultrasounds, which showed that the baby did not grow anymore, and in the last ultrasound there was no heartbeat anymore. I did not have any bleeding. I had a D&C (suction) in my GYN's office, with local numbing of the cervix, a pill inserted to soften the cervix, + a muscle relaxant and general painkiller. The procedure itself took only a couple of minutes, but for me both the dilation and the suction were very painful, so thankfully it only took less than a minute. If I had to do this again, I would probably be put under. Only slight cramping and bleeding after. It seems to be different from person to person, many don't find it painful, but for me it was.

Comment from: ms tootsie roll, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had spotting over a long period of time and heavy bleeding.

Comment from: Abbey.b, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I had a D & C because I had heavy bleeding with blood clots. This was about 6 months ago. I still have blood clots.

Comment from: KL, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I just had D&C due to nonstop, heavy bleeding. My GYN found and removed polyps from my uterus. I was feeling fine immediately, but started to have stomach cramps on the second day.

Comment from: Sim, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had D & C due to a polyp in my uterus.

Comment from: Tasha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had theD&Cprocedure done on this past Monday. It was done because I had an overextended period, and was passing large clots of blood. I have to go back for my follow-up on this Monday, but I'm scared of what the outcome may be.

Comment from: wvgirl80, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I had my D&C after finding I had a problem which caused me to start bleeding uncontrollably. I lost 1/3 of my blood volume in a short amount of time, causing me to go into shock. After arriving at the hospital, I immediately got a pap smear, which showed polyps actually protruding from my cervix. After the D&C, the doctor explained that the polyps were bursting inside my uterus and causing the massive blood loss. A few weeks later, tests results showed that I was in the first stages of endometrial cancer.

Must Read Articles Related to Dilation and Curettage (D&C)

Hysteroscopy
Hysteroscopy A hysteroscopy is a procedure performed in women to diagnose and/or treat conditions such as abnormal vaginal bleeding, uterine polyps or tumors, anatomic abnor...learn more >>
Menstrual Cramps
Menstrual Pain Menstrual cramps are either classified as primary dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation) in which there is no anatomical cause for the pain. Secondary dysmenorrhea...learn more >>
Miscarriage
Miscarriage A miscarriage (spontaneous abortion) is a pregnancy that spontaneously ends before the fetus can survive. There are classifications of miscarriage that include ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dilation and Curettage (D&C):

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience prior to your D&C?

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Experience

Please describe your experience with D&C.