Viewer Comments: Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Reasons

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dilation and Curettage (D&C):

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Reasons

What was the reason for your D&C?

Comment from: dalovely1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

The reason that I had to have a D and C done was because of prolonged bleeding. I had been reporting it to my doctor for about a few weeks and there was nothing being resolved. I knew I was not pregnant because I had my tubes tied after my son was born 3 years ago. It started out like a normal cycle but after the required time for my cycle to go off it didn't. I would bleed from one month to the next, go off and stay off for about 2 or 3 days and back on again. My primary doctor referred me to an obstetrician and I had an endometrial biopsy done. The results came back that I had endometrial polyps on my uterine lining. I was then scheduled for a D and C and a hysteroscopy to be done.

Comment from: dhigu, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I was 12 Weeks pregnant and went in for my first ultrasound when I was given the bad news. I was really excited for it was our first baby. I was told by the obstetrician/gynecologist that I was most likely going to miscarry during the night and to go to a hospital they designated. Well, things got really bad. I lost a lot of blood and by the time I got to the hospital for my appointment I was almost unconscious. It turns out I had a vaginal hemorrhage and had to have a D and C immediately. There was a lot of tissue from the baby still in my uterus that caused the hemorrhage according to the doctors. It was a really scary experience since I am fairly young and it was my first pregnancy.

Comment from: Riya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had my D and C with hysteroscopy yesterday. I had been bleeding heavily since about 50 days and lost a lot of blood. I was not able to carry out my routine work and was excessively tired all the time. My gynecologist examined me in the OPD (outpatient department) where she did a TVS (transvaginal) ultrasound which showed thick endometrial lining. She also took a Pap smear. She suggested a D and C with Mirena insertion, which I underwent yesterday. I am waiting with crossed fingers for the biopsy reports.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: November 08

I was about 7 weeks pregnant when my D and C was done. I had been seeing my doctor once a week since I was 4 weeks pregnant because I was asked to go for follow up ultrasounds after my baby measured small for the fetal age and also because they were unable to detect a heartbeat. After two weeks of the baby growing only a minimal amount and then not growing at all before my last ultrasound, my doctor called and said it is likely I would have a miscarriage. Although he did not want my husband or myself to give up hope just yet. But, by week 7, I had started bleeding (not a severe amount but enough to know something was very wrong). Less than a day later, my doctor had me in the office for another ultrasound and an internal exam to see what was going on and he told me that the miscarriage began on it's own. He then asked me if I would be ok with doing a D and C because he was worried about me not expelling all of the uterine contents and it causing problems later. I went in for the D and C immediately after since my ob's office is in our local hospital.

Comment from: alicianicole83, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I was almost 9 weeks pregnant and the baby died at 6 weeks and had no heartbeat. I tried taking the pill to expel the baby which that part worked but my body did not expel everything. I have chosen to do the D & C due to the pills not completely working. I wanted to avoid surgery but all the pain I went through with the pills was insane and I am just ready for my body to go back to normal.

Comment from: Dianna, Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I went for my first ultrasound at 9 weeks, but the baby had only developed to about 6.5 weeks, but still with a heartbeat. My doctor had me have some extra follow-up ultrasounds, which showed that the baby did not grow anymore, and in the last ultrasound there was no heartbeat anymore. I did not have any bleeding. I had a D&C (suction) in my GYN's office, with local numbing of the cervix, a pill inserted to soften the cervix, + a muscle relaxant and general painkiller. The procedure itself took only a couple of minutes, but for me both the dilation and the suction were very painful, so thankfully it only took less than a minute. If I had to do this again, I would probably be put under. Only slight cramping and bleeding after. It seems to be different from person to person, many don't find it painful, but for me it was.

Comment from: Anya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I just had a D&C done today for bad menstrual cycles, hemorrhage and debilitating cramping. All I got before the procedure was an ibuprofen. It was the most painful, traumatizing procedure of my life! I've had four Cesarean births if that tells you anything. I'd rather have four more C-sections before I ever have a D&C again. My body was convulsing during the procedure and for 20 minutes after.

Must Read Articles Related to Dilation and Curettage (D&C)

Hysteroscopy A hysteroscopy is a procedure performed in women to diagnose and/or treat conditions such as abnormal vaginal bleeding, uterine polyps or tumors, anatomic abnor...learn more >>
Menstrual Cramps
Menstrual Pain Menstrual cramps are either classified as primary dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation) in which there is no anatomical cause for the pain. Secondary dysmenorrhea...learn more >>
Miscarriage A miscarriage (spontaneous abortion) is a pregnancy that spontaneously ends before the fetus can survive. There are classifications of miscarriage that include ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dilation and Curettage (D&C):

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience prior to your D&C?

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Experience

Please describe your experience with D&C.