Viewer Comments: Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dilation and Curettage (D&C):

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience prior to your D&C?

Comment from: Amy Kahila, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I am 70 years old with a 30 history of uterine fibroids, am postmenopausal for 11 years, and had a hysteroscopy/polypectomy 10 years ago. Five weeks ago I began mild vaginal bleeding that lasted four weeks. I had an ultrasound, and am now scheduled for a hysteroscopy and endometrial. The fibroids are so dense that any office procedure seems to be too risky.

Comment from: RoseB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I've had a little bleeding after menopause and after a transvaginal scan it seems I have some cysts and thickening inside which having this procedure is going to help. My appointment is imminent and I was just looking as I am worried about it.

Comment from: Anxious1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I will have a D&C next month, because my IUD strings went up inside my cervix and my OB/GYN tried to remove it, by locally numbing my cervix, dilating and using a hook and even forceps. But no matter what she tried she couldn't get the hold of it. It was an excruciating pain since only the cervix was numbed. It took her 20 minutes to finally give up. And said she was sorry and that she tried her best. She couldn't find the IUD.

Comment from: clevelap, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 31

I'm 53 and approaching menopause. My once very regular periods became more irregular and very heavy. After the last one I bled lightly every day for over three months. The doctor did a hysteroscopy and saw polyps in my uterus. A D&C has been recommended.

Comment from: Jane, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I was bleeding everyday for over 2 months (8 weeks), after I gave birth to my 1st daughter, who came 5 weeks early! Some days there was very little clotting, but on other days there was lots of clotting. I went on 2 different courses of oral antibiotics. After completing both of them, I still wasn't feeling 100%, had no energy at all. All I wanted to do was to sleep, wasn't hungry. After the antibiotics I was sent for an ultrasound which wasn't able to see much as the lining was too thick still. So they had to go in for the D & C. Now to finally I'm finally able to enjoy my beautiful daughter.

Comment from: Ginger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I had minimal post menopausal spotting for three days. I have a zero tolerance for this at age 60. My biopsy came back fine but my ob/gyn wanted a D&C after ultrasound which appeared to show a polyp.

Comment from: mom2384, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I have been bleeding for three weeks now, with severe cramps, and back pain, and also severe clotting... I am miserable and my doctor wants me to take the birth control pill. I have already had two children and had a tubal done. I am not one to take a pill every day. I don't want to second guess my doctor but something needs to be done. I already have pre-cervical cancer cells. I get a biopsy once a year to check that, and was already told my uterus was too thick. I am tired of being in pain, and considering asking about this D & C maybe it will work. I have asked the doctor about a hysterectomy but he refused due to me only being 26. I am running out of patience here...and need something done.

Comment from: cbl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I had irregular bleeding. I bled for almost a month nonstop. I had a vaginal ultra sound but the lining was still too thick so that's why I have to have a D and C done.

Must Read Articles Related to Dilation and Curettage (D&C)

Hysteroscopy
Hysteroscopy A hysteroscopy is a procedure performed in women to diagnose and/or treat conditions such as abnormal vaginal bleeding, uterine polyps or tumors, anatomic abnor...learn more >>
Menstrual Cramps
Menstrual Pain Menstrual cramps are either classified as primary dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation) in which there is no anatomical cause for the pain. Secondary dysmenorrhea...learn more >>
Miscarriage
Miscarriage A miscarriage (spontaneous abortion) is a pregnancy that spontaneously ends before the fetus can survive. There are classifications of miscarriage that include ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dilation and Curettage (D&C):

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Reasons

What was the reason for your D&C?

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Experience

Please describe your experience with D&C.