Viewer Comments: Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dilation and Curettage (D&C):

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience prior to your D&C?

Comment from: Mel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had a D&C to remove molar pregnancy/miscarriage. The placenta was overgrown and no fetus at 8 wk. I didn't know I was pregnant. I had spotting for a full month, severe migraines and cramps. The first D&C didn't get all the cells and they started regrowing.

Comment from: Gel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I don't know about D&C, until I experienced mild bleeding that started after the fourth week of my pregnancy. I was confident that maybe it was part of being pregnant but on the 8th week , I had this pain on my abdomen. I immediately went to my Ob/Gyn and I was advised to have an ultrasound and to find out that the baby has no heartbeat and it has wrapped around its placenta. My doctor immediately scheduled me for admission and a D&C. I didn't feel any pain.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had excessive bleeding and severe pain in the abdomen.

Comment from: Justme, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had a D & C with hysteroscopy done last week due to abnormal bleeding. I am on Tamoxifen for breast cancer so they had to rule out uterine cancer which can be a side effect.

Related Reading: Tamoxifen

I have had irregular bleeding for months. Some months are worse than others. I have been told I have three fibroids in my uterus. Two have been there awhile and the third is new. I also have thickening on my walls. I've been told I need a D&C. I am currently undergoing treatment for a recurrence of cancer.

Comment from: heartbroken, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I am going in for a D&C in two days due to a blighted ovum that my body is not expelling.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I had light spotting at 5 1/2 weeks then had and an ultrasound at 6 weeks showed a slow heartbeat in my baby. I then went back for a follow up ultrasound at 7.5 weeks and there was no heartbeat. I am having a d/c in 2 days.

Comment from: Tired of Bleeding, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I have been experiencing irregular and heavy bleeding. I will bleed for three out of four weeks in a month. We tried birth control pills to see if that would help regulate me, but it didn't work. So we will try a D&C next. If this procedure doesn't work, we will try using an IUD. Lastly, if all else fails, I will have an ablation. My nonstop bleeding as led to low iron stores and my being very tired and irritable and dealing with severe headaches on a weekly basis. So it's not just the bleeding that is difficult to deal with.

Comment from: Krlish, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I had a D&C due to placenta left after my C-section four weeks prior. My baby is healthy but my uterus wasn't going back like it was supposed to. Then I started gushing blood with intervals of little bleeding. The next day after the D&C I still had a gush and was put on medication to make my uterus contract. I'm still bleeding a little and have small clots. It's been four days and my stomach is very sore and have been directed by my doctor to take it very easy.

Comment from: Uju, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

After the D and C, I did not bleed. I experience pains in my lower abdomen but not often, fever, and vomiting. My pregnancy test result is positive.

Must Read Articles Related to Dilation and Curettage (D&C)

Hysteroscopy
Hysteroscopy A hysteroscopy is a procedure performed in women to diagnose and/or treat conditions such as abnormal vaginal bleeding, uterine polyps or tumors, anatomic abnor...learn more >>
Menstrual Cramps
Menstrual Pain Menstrual cramps are either classified as primary dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation) in which there is no anatomical cause for the pain. Secondary dysmenorrhea...learn more >>
Miscarriage
Miscarriage A miscarriage (spontaneous abortion) is a pregnancy that spontaneously ends before the fetus can survive. There are classifications of miscarriage that include ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dilation and Curettage (D&C):

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Reasons

What was the reason for your D&C?

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Experience

Please describe your experience with D&C.

Find Your Best Self: Discover new ways to live an inspiring life through beauty, diet, and fitness ideas.