Viewer Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis):

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Symptoms

The symptoms of diverticulitis (diverticulosis) can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: feelingbetter, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 12

My symptoms started with mild discomfort below my navel. Over a period of several hours the discomfort became increasingly worse with severe cramping (every two minutes or so) just above my navel, combined with a bloated feeling and extreme sensitivity all around my stomach. This was followed by nausea, hot/cold spells, a rise in my pulse (up to 122 bpm) and a rise in blood pressure. It was a truly miserable experience. I was treated with Dicyclomine 10mg capsules (for cramping) and Metronidazole 500 mg tablets (antibiotic). The combination of both medications have thus far worked well in the 4 days since onset. The medication made the cramping, nausea and bloating dissipate over a period of 24 hours although I felt weak and shaky through day three. Today (day 4) I'm feeling fairly well. Right now I'm conscious of every little gurgle and twinge in my stomach, so I may actually be feeling better than I think.

I had a dull pain in my lower left abdomen for a couple of days, then I started to get chills (hot then cold). I began to run a fever. This lasted a couple of hours, then it was over. The next day when I went to see the doctor, most of the prior nights symptoms where gone except the pain in my lower left abdomen. After consult my family doctor, I had an MRI done and it was confirmed that I had Diverticulosis with a perforation.

Comment from: lorry, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 25

With an abscess on colon, I was in hospital for 3 days under heavy antibiotics. My stomach is still swollen and I am worried. My back aches.

Comment from: teresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a cramp under rib cage on my left side for about a week. It felt sort of like a pulled muscle. I went to the hospital room where they ran blood tests. My white blood count was over 17000. They admitted me right away. I was given morphine and antibiotics for a week. I spent an entire week in hospital with something I had never heard about. It was scary and I still have a flare-up now and then, but nowhere as bad as the first time.

Comment from: Corey, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I'm 25 and just one day I woke up feeling pain right above my waist. I thought I had to pass gas really bad but could not. I bought some Gas-X and it did not do anything I thought maybe it was really bad bloating. I gave it a couple of days but by the second day the pain was like needles going into my lower abdomen. I really didn't want to go to the hospital as I have no medical insurance but I forced myself. That did CT scans, ran blood tests, and unfortunately had to do a rectal exam and a few hours later diagnosed me with diverticulitis saying it was abnormal for my age.

Comment from: Harleyyorkie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had symptoms about two years ago. I had bloating, gas, several bouts of cramping diarrhea. I took over the counter medications and just passed it off as "oh, getting older (early 50's) can't eat that anymore." I had one episode about a year earlier that woke me out of a sound sleep with cramping, pain in the lower abdomen, sweating, rapid pulse, and chills. I really thought I was having a heart attack. Once again I passed it off as "something I ate." Come to find out that was a small tear in the colon, but we didn't find that out until 6 months later when I was at work and was overcome by this searing sharp, burning pain all across my lower abdomen.

Comment from: too young but got it, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I am 24 and was diagnosed at 21. I had horrible pain in my left bottom side of my lower abdomen. The doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong, I went from one doctor to the next for about a month. All the signs pointed to diverticulitis but it wasn't a possibility because of my age. I lost around 25 pounds or so because I couldn't eat or drink. Finally after the barium enema the doctors concluded it had to be diverticulitis.

Comment from: Bjw, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

Severe stomach cramps are my worst symptom as a result of diverticulitis.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: February 18

Hi I was 45 and at first I got a mild pain in the lower left abdomen, which became sharper and more frequent; it just wasn't going away. I also had very fast and runny stools. Then just a general unwell feeling, I felt tired and spaced out. At doctors they thought ectopic pregnancy, so I went to accident and emergency where it was diagnosed after physical and a scan. The doctors didn't really believe it was my first episode as it was acute with perforation/abscess. Luckily with three days of intravenous antibiotics, I was able to avoid surgery. Three years on I have not had another episode. I try to eat enough fiber and drink more water and stay clear of seeds, spicy food and I have reduced my alcohol intake.

Must Read Articles Related to Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to ...learn more >>
Constipation (Adults)
Constipation in Adults Constipation in adults refers to difficulty in passing stools or a decrease in the frequency of bowel movements. Causes of constipation in adults include a poor...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis):

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Surgery Recovery

Please describe your recovery after surgery for diverticulitis.

Diverticulitis - Experience

Please share your experience with diverticulosis (diverticulitis).

Diverticulitis - Diet

What foods have you found that aggravate diverticulitis? What foods have been helpful with easing diverticulitis symptoms?