Viewer Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis):

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Symptoms

The symptoms of diverticulitis (diverticulosis) can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: mw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

My pain started with a tender spot under my rib on the left side. On the fourth day the pain became unbearable like I was being stabbed with a knife. That took me to the emergency room and the diagnosis with a CT scan and lab tests.

Comment from: DianaC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I just woke up with pain on the left side of the front of my body. Over the next 4 days it extended down into an L shape toward the center. A CT scan confirmed diverticulitis and I spent the next 3 weeks on antibiotics, but wasn't getting significantly better. When my Dr. sent me for another CT scan I was hospitalized, put on IV antibiotics for 5 days, and had 24" of my large intestine removed. The surgeon said I had an abscess, too. 6 weeks after surgery, I got diverticulitis AGAIN, and about a month after it cleared, once more, for which I'm in my 3rd week of antibiotics.

Comment from: musicman64, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

At age 63 I had for months been feeling bloated and tried Gas-Ex, etc. to no avail. Then I developed a tender spot below and to the right side of my navel and the doctor thought appendicitis. CT scan showed two inflamed areas in my colon. Clear liquid diet and IV antibiotics for 4 days in the hospital cleared it up. Colonoscopy showed pan-diverticulosis (i.e., in every section of my colon). I'm now on a high fibre diet permanently and haven't had another bout of this "complicated diverticulitis" (pus pockets)in 18 months.

Comment from: fiesty61, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had abdominal pain, constipation, bloating, cramping, nausea and lower back pain. No one seemed to be able to find a reason for the symptoms, but a recent colonoscopy revealed that I have diverticulosis.

Comment from: lu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I am an Asian and have always been on a high fiber diet the past 50 years. I moved to the USA for permanent stay. It had only been 3 years of low fiber, typical American food. But 10 days ago, after doing aqua aerobics, I noticed some blood stain in the toilet tissue. The following morning, it was all bloody bowel movement. My husband drove me to the hospital right away. Then the doctors asked for the common signs and symptoms like any pains, bloating, vomiting, fever,.. But I have none of those. I was very strong. I had 17 trips to the ER bathroom with frank red blood eliminations. So they made me go for X-rays, a CT scan and then the colonoscopy. Diagnosis: A lot of diverticuli everywhere in my colon. The doctor who did the colonoscopy said that if I get into such a crisis again, I should just go ahead and have that colon cut out! OH NO! That day was my 57th birthday!

Comment from: clara Rose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

This year alone, I have had several flares with diverticulitis. I was lifting weights more often, and I'm starting to think this might have had an effect on my condition. This most recent one lasted 10 days, and now I am taking a medication called Flagyl.

Comment from: catherine, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 06

After taking Bactrim for a urinary tract infection, which then resulted in severe diarrhea, I began today having sudden severe jabs of pain in my lower right side, occurring quite often. My physcian then prescribed tetracycline, which I have just gotten and will take three hours after having eaten dinner. The pains are very sharp.

Comment from: NavyVet, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

After about 6 months of feeling bloated but with no other symptom, I developed a sore area below and to the right of my navel. This continued and grew slightly worse for several days until I saw a doctor. The initial diagnosis was appendicitis or diverticulitis. CAT scan verified the latter with two points of abscess. Six days of IV antibiotics and liquid diet cleared it. This was 13 months ago. There never was any real pain, just soreness and discomfort.

Must Read Articles Related to Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Flatulence (Gas)
Flatulence (Gas) Flatulance (gas) is a normal bodily function. Excess gas may be produced by swallowing excess air, problems in the breakdown of undigested foods, lactase defici...learn more >>
Rectal Bleeding
Rectal Bleeding The rectum is the last portion of the large bowel that ends just before the anus. Bleeding from this area can be a mild or life-threatening matter. Causes of re...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis):

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Surgery Recovery

Please describe your recovery after surgery for diverticulitis.