Viewer Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis):

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Symptoms

The symptoms of diverticulitis (diverticulosis) can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: teresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a cramp under rib cage on my left side for about a week. It felt sort of like a pulled muscle. I went to the hospital room where they ran blood tests. My white blood count was over 17000. They admitted me right away. I was given morphine and antibiotics for a week. I spent an entire week in hospital with something I had never heard about. It was scary and I still have a flare-up now and then, but nowhere as bad as the first time.

Comment from: Corey, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I'm 25 and just one day I woke up feeling pain right above my waist. I thought I had to pass gas really bad but could not. I bought some Gas-X and it did not do anything I thought maybe it was really bad bloating. I gave it a couple of days but by the second day the pain was like needles going into my lower abdomen. I really didn't want to go to the hospital as I have no medical insurance but I forced myself. That did CT scans, ran blood tests, and unfortunately had to do a rectal exam and a few hours later diagnosed me with diverticulitis saying it was abnormal for my age.

Comment from: Harleyyorkie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had symptoms about two years ago. I had bloating, gas, several bouts of cramping diarrhea. I took over the counter medications and just passed it off as "oh, getting older (early 50's) can't eat that anymore." I had one episode about a year earlier that woke me out of a sound sleep with cramping, pain in the lower abdomen, sweating, rapid pulse, and chills. I really thought I was having a heart attack. Once again I passed it off as "something I ate." Come to find out that was a small tear in the colon, but we didn't find that out until 6 months later when I was at work and was overcome by this searing sharp, burning pain all across my lower abdomen.

Comment from: too young but got it, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I am 24 and was diagnosed at 21. I had horrible pain in my left bottom side of my lower abdomen. The doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong, I went from one doctor to the next for about a month. All the signs pointed to diverticulitis but it wasn't a possibility because of my age. I lost around 25 pounds or so because I couldn't eat or drink. Finally after the barium enema the doctors concluded it had to be diverticulitis.

Comment from: Bjw, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

Severe stomach cramps are my worst symptom as a result of diverticulitis.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: February 18

Hi I was 45 and at first I got a mild pain in the lower left abdomen, which became sharper and more frequent; it just wasn't going away. I also had very fast and runny stools. Then just a general unwell feeling, I felt tired and spaced out. At doctors they thought ectopic pregnancy, so I went to accident and emergency where it was diagnosed after physical and a scan. The doctors didn't really believe it was my first episode as it was acute with perforation/abscess. Luckily with three days of intravenous antibiotics, I was able to avoid surgery. Three years on I have not had another episode. I try to eat enough fiber and drink more water and stay clear of seeds, spicy food and I have reduced my alcohol intake.

Comment from: mw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

My pain started with a tender spot under my rib on the left side. On the fourth day the pain became unbearable like I was being stabbed with a knife. That took me to the emergency room and the diagnosis with a CT scan and lab tests.

Comment from: DianaC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I just woke up with pain on the left side of the front of my body. Over the next 4 days it extended down into an L shape toward the center. A CT scan confirmed diverticulitis and I spent the next 3 weeks on antibiotics, but wasn't getting significantly better. When my Dr. sent me for another CT scan I was hospitalized, put on IV antibiotics for 5 days, and had 24" of my large intestine removed. The surgeon said I had an abscess, too. 6 weeks after surgery, I got diverticulitis AGAIN, and about a month after it cleared, once more, for which I'm in my 3rd week of antibiotics.

Comment from: musicman64, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

At age 63 I had for months been feeling bloated and tried Gas-Ex, etc. to no avail. Then I developed a tender spot below and to the right side of my navel and the doctor thought appendicitis. CT scan showed two inflamed areas in my colon. Clear liquid diet and IV antibiotics for 4 days in the hospital cleared it up. Colonoscopy showed pan-diverticulosis (i.e., in every section of my colon). I'm now on a high fibre diet permanently and haven't had another bout of this "complicated diverticulitis" (pus pockets)in 18 months.

Must Read Articles Related to Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>
Constipation (Adults)
Constipation in Adults Constipation in adults refers to difficulty in passing stools or a decrease in the frequency of bowel movements. Causes of constipation in adults include a poor...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis):

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Surgery Recovery

Please describe your recovery after surgery for diverticulitis.

Diverticulitis - Experience

Please share your experience with diverticulosis (diverticulitis).

Diverticulitis - Diet

What foods have you found that aggravate diverticulitis? What foods have been helpful with easing diverticulitis symptoms?