Viewer Comments: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Surgery Recovery

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis):

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Surgery Recovery

Please describe your recovery after surgery for diverticulitis.

Comment from: Frank s., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

My recovery from diverticulitis was slow and painful. I was septic and dying by the time they removed my colon. I also had to wear a colostomy bag and the abdominal wound became very infected and had to be packed with gauze strips 2 times a day for over 3 months. I got stronger as time passed (about 5 months) and just about the time I was feeling pretty well, I went back to have the colostomy bag removed and my bowels reconnected. My recovery time was a lot less that time because I wasn't septic. I just have never been the same since that illness. I have weakness, fatigue, and depression. Doctors say it is unusual for one to feel the way I do and think it is in my head. It may be.

Comment from: JoJo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 02

It started with severe stabbing pain on my left side of my abdomen. After a few days it went away. About a month later I again felt a severe stabbing pain on the left side. It did not go away and I ended up going to the emergency room (ER) since it was the middle of the night. They gave me a CT scan and took a blood test for infection. I was put on 2 small bags of antibiotics through an IV. I laid in ER for 6 hours. I was given two antibiotics to take from the next day. One of them made me vomit and I called in for advice. They prescribed anti-nausea pills which worked like a charm. I continued to take the antibiotics for 14 days. During the CT scan they found a small lesion on my pancreas and so I went in for an MRI. I ate soft foods and a low fiber diet. Now I have to be on a high fiber diet. I also developed oral thrush and had to get lozenges to take five times a day. Oral thrush is a white coating on the tongue and is hard to get rid of. I am also taking probiotics to restore my healthy bacteria which were all killed with the antibiotics. Thankfully my MRI showed my pancreas to be okay. I now have to have a colonoscopy the next month. I am advised not to eat any fruit and vegetables with seeds, nuts, popcorn, sesame seeds and especially sunflower seeds. Taking acidophilus capsules daily.

Comment from: spiderwoman499, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had 2 attacks about a few months apart and was told to have the surgery. I did, was hospitalized for nine days and was back two days later with an infection. I had laparoscopic, supposedly by the best in Boston. They cut a hole two inches deep. I had visiting nurses for 6 weeks come and pack it. I now have had three attacks in four months and having surgery again 23 months to the day of my last colon resection.

Comment from: lapalmamama, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I suffered diverticulitis for over a week, thinking I had an impaction. After numerous enemas and drinking mineral oil, I went to the hospital. Stayed there 6 days on antibiotics and am awaiting colon surgery in the next 6 weeks. I am praying the infection goes down and when I go back on a solid diet that it does not start back up!

Must Read Articles Related to Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to ...learn more >>
Constipation (Adults)
Constipation in Adults Constipation in adults refers to difficulty in passing stools or a decrease in the frequency of bowel movements. Causes of constipation in adults include a poor...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis):

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Symptoms

The symptoms of diverticulitis (diverticulosis) can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Diverticulitis - Experience

Please share your experience with diverticulosis (diverticulitis).

Diverticulitis - Diet

What foods have you found that aggravate diverticulitis? What foods have been helpful with easing diverticulitis symptoms?